Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 HSE with vibration issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 10:42 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking 03 HSE with vibration issues

I recently purchased a 03 HSE7 with 73k on it. I read the service history on it and it was a RAV, that had been in and out of different dealerships for mainly vibrations @ 45 to 70 MPH. The dealers changed out tires,front end parts, ace ecu modules ect...
I still bought it any way. I got a good price (6k under blue book) from Rover. When I was driving home I felt a weird vibration at 23 MPH and then again at 46 MPH. I brought it to The Rover Shop in Lake Villa IL. Glen and I took it for a test drive and he said lets look at the drive shaft. It seemed fine, but the drum at the back side of the T box was loose. He pulled it apart and found a loose screw inside the drum and some play in the connection from the rear drive shaft to the T box. He tightened up the screw and put it back together. I drove it home and it felt like a new truck. No Vibrations! Smooth as Glass! All the many dealers and could not find this problem for 6 years. I would again like to say thanks to Glenn and if anyone has any problems in the Chicago land area do your self a favor and call Glenn @ The Rover shop if you can't figure it out I'm sure he will.
Vic

Old 05-12-2009, 10:48 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

got some toys, huh?

Old 05-12-2009, 11:27 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you check the front driveshaft for greaseable u-joints?

Old 05-13-2009, 07:43 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

As AK has already asked, check the front drive shaft, how may grease fitting are there, should be 3 and a plug, if not you still need to get it rebuilt before it fails, taking out your trannt.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:58 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

We did check the drive shaft, it looked good both front and rear. I am going to be doing a tbox oil change just to se how the fluid is and if there are a lot of shavings in there. Jbegin , yeah I have a few Rovers, kinda sickness I guess but in all fairness my teen drives the 99 D2.

Last edited by skyguy; 05-13-2009 at 08:03 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 05-13-2009, 08:56 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

I didn't ask how your drive shaft looked, that won't tell you anything. I asked how many grease fittings are on the front shaft, go count them, it will cost you an easy $5000 if you don't and it fails.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:20 AM
Overlanding

Vics D2 only has 1 fitting on the front shaft and we will address that next visit. Thanks for the kind words Vic. I hope everything goes ok.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:12 PM
Winching
Talking

Originally Posted by skyguy
We did check the drive shaft, it looked good both front and rear. I am going to be doing a tbox oil change just to se how the fluid is and if there are a lot of shavings in there. Jbegin , yeah I have a few Rovers, kinda sickness I guess but in all fairness my teen drives the 99 D2.
Lucky teen! i have a 99 D2 too, my father has seen it, rode in it, loves it, and when he loves something that his boys have, its not long before he goes out and gets it.
he better tell me first tho, i know from being here what to look for

Old 05-13-2009, 01:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Im interested to know which screw was loose ?

Are you referring to the Brake drum securing screw ? the reason I ask is if the rear shaft is done up tight, then that screw does nothing, its only there to hold the drum on like the disc securing screws on your front brakes.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:33 AM
Overlanding

Well U.P. you are right for the most part, if it was like you say if would not matter as the shaft nuts would fix tighten the drum and be OK. But if the screw was threaded out about 5 or 6 turns when the drive shaft nuts are tightened then the drum will be loose and the shaft will be tight but not seated flat onto the drum causeing the rear shaft to vibrate and the drum to be loose.

Quick Reply: 03 HSE with vibration issues