Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'04 Disco New Owner, looking to modify

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 03:31 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I assume you are staying in the production class, I'm not sure what the limitations are for modifications for that, are you taking THIS truck there to race?
Or are you just looking to "train" in this truck?

Old 03-18-2013, 05:51 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by racerxnet
You won't find any race parts for the Rover unless custom made or...

You did say "modify heavily".... Good luck and open your wallet.

MAK
For Rally Raid power is really not a big deal, specially for production class, which is what I intend to go for. Most HiLux and Patrols are running only at about 150 or 160hp, so the 217 on the disco will be fine. What matters most is durability, and off road performance. So most engine mods I will be doing will be done for that purpose (i.e. spare ECU instead of a custom one and liners and better head gasket and hoses and etc...) The Disco 2 has been used a bit for Rally raid and there is plenty of parts for it. But mostly in Europe and Australia so either way it wont be cheap.

Originally Posted by Spike555
Dude, why did I have to see this as we are walking out the door to go to the beach?
Forget everything you have been told so far except for the HD front propshaft, I will post more when I return.
Since this is going to be a Privateer Dakar race truck, what would need to be done for daily driving is TOTALLY different than what you are going to use it for.
I will be using this truck to train. Living in UT, I am in the right place for that. As far as the race goes, I am not sure what I will end up driving. There is a lot of rules to comply with and specially with production class, there is production year limits, so will see what my options are when I am ready to do it. Right now FJ-cruisers and Hi-lux are the most popular. I think someone last year even tried a Ford Raptor.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:03 PM
Team Owner

Ok, thats what I thought you were doing, call Justin at Lucky8 LLC (tell him I sent you) and tell him you need drilled and slotted rotors for all wheels, you are going to be eating brake pads like every practice run or two so just go cheap, like AutoZone.
You are going to want a heavy duty radiator, external transmission oil cooler as well as a external engine oil cooler.
Heavy duty suspension kit, you dont need long travel, just go with 2" HD because you are going to be beating the hell out of the suspension.
Add skid plates because when you come hard off a burm and land nose first you are looking at bending steering components.
Buy a heavy duty track rod, wait until you bend yours before you put it on.
This is a practice truck, so it doesnt have to be perfectly fitted for the rally, you just need it to not overheat at 90mph on a 120*F day while churning 5,000rpm on the rev counter.

As for the perfect Dakar truck, Mistubishi Montero, the full monty NOT the Sport.
200hp bulletproof V6, 4 wheel indie suspension, tons of room for spares, high ground clearance (more than the Disco).
Lots of spares in South America for the Pajero.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:15 AM
Three Wheeling

As for the perfect Dakar truck, Mistubishi Montero, the full monty NOT the Sport.
200hp bulletproof V6, 4 wheel indie suspension, tons of room for spares, high ground clearance (more than the Disco).
So funny that you say the Montero. My buddy and I just decided we wanted to do some off roading and I got the Disco and he got the Montero. He will be so pleased to read what you posted. Not sure if its appliciable to his year. He has a 1999. So far we have done some light off roading in street tires and had good sucess we are changing over to off road tires soon. See photo below of why.

Name:  photo1_zps6577a04e.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  100.8 KB

Name:  photo2_zpsae6716bc.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  73.2 KB
Not ideal tires for what we were doing.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:03 PM
7th Gear

Ok, thats what I thought you were doing, call Justin at Lucky8 LLC (tell him I sent you) and tell him you need drilled and slotted rotors for all wheels, you are going to be eating brake pads like every practice run or two so just go cheap, like AutoZone.
You are going to want a heavy duty radiator, external transmission oil cooler as well as a external engine oil cooler.
Heavy duty suspension kit, you dont need long travel, just go with 2" HD because you are going to be beating the hell out of the suspension.
Add skid plates because when you come hard off a burm and land nose first you are looking at bending steering components.
Buy a heavy duty track rod, wait until you bend yours before you put it on.
This is a practice truck, so it doesnt have to be perfectly fitted for the rally, you just need it to not overheat at 90mph on a 120*F day while churning 5,000rpm on the rev counter.

I like those Monteros, sold them when I was a kid. Good list of upgrades, does anyone make the cooler kits for the Disco already or do I need to adapt universal types? Also another question, what do you recommend for wheels and tires, and from where? I know it is hard to get Rally raid tires in the US, any options?

Thank you.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:19 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rolo Casos
does anyone make the cooler kits for the Disco already or do I need to adapt universal types?
An oil cooler off a 4.0 will bolt right up to a 4.6. Its the same size as the trans cooler and goes above it...not sure how suitable this would be for your needs...might want to go bigger and with an additional fan...just not sure where you would put it. Might want to look at glowshift.com and their oil filter sandwich adapters...you can get one with ports for the cooler and additional ports for oil temp and oil pressure.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:35 PM
Team Owner

Get 16" NATO's and a good A/T tire, 10ply.
Forget the Rover specific coolers, buy the universal aftermarket oil coolers.
Remember, this is a practice truck, it dont need to be pretty, just functional.
It is going to be broken alot if you are practicing properly.
One of my dreams is to do what you are going to do, I dont need to win, just finish.
6,000 miles, 15 days, man and machine. Survive and you're a winner.
I had a chance to be in a Camel Trophy, never followed through, I should have.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:53 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by symaxwell
So funny that you say the Montero. My buddy and I just decided we wanted to do some off roading and I got the Disco and he got the Montero. He will be so pleased to read what you posted. Not sure if its appliciable to his year. He has a 1999. So far we have done some light off roading in street tires and had good sucess we are changing over to off road tires soon. See photo below of why.

Not ideal tires for what we were doing.
Nope, wrong year, 2001 or newer, like mine.

Name:  IMG_0603.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  311.0 KB
Name:  IMG_0607.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  178.9 KB
Name:  IMG_0608.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  195.1 KB

All the way from Austin TX back to Grand Rapids MI.

Name:  DSCF3048.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  190.2 KB

The most wins of any car in the history of the Dakar is with Mitsubishi Pajero.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:03 PM
Team Owner

I was pulled over 4 times on my way down to TX to pick up that race car, 2 written warnings and 2 verbal in 4 different states, left MI during a blizzard, it was 80 in TX.
Got to see the St. Louis arch.

Name:  DSCF3016.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  84.7 KB
An airplane inside a U-haul.
Name:  DSCF3028.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  88.3 KB
This guy.
Name:  DSCF3029.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  72.9 KB

That truck hauled @ss, speedo went to 120, I buried it once AND set the cruise AND it held.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:02 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haha...sweet pics! Love the uhal plane. And I wonder what the all time top speed is on a disco.....90mph :O...

Where would you mount the aftermarket oil cooler? In front of the rad (per stock location) add an addition fan? Sucks to just pass the oil heat to the coolant but I can't think of any other place to mount it

Quick Reply: '04 Disco New Owner, looking to modify