Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'04 Discovery or '05 Range?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 10:32 PM
JRS
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '04 Discovery or '05 Range?

I was considering buying an '05 Range Rover but have heard that reliability has been an issue so I checked out multiple reviews on the '04 Discovery and found that people either hated or loved it. Seriously, half of the reviewers rated reliability less than 3 and condemned it as the worst SUV decision they've ever made while the other half rated it 8 or above and couldn't stop praising it. What's the deal? My father owns a Discovery and hasn't had any major problems to deal with and he tells me road trips are smooth and hassle free. I've driven it and the feel is great...seems sturdy and well built. Love it.
Please, shed some light with your own experiences.

Any advice on buying a used Disco? I live in Miami.

Old 11-13-2009, 01:24 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JRS
I was considering buying an '05 Range Rover but have heard that reliability has been an issue so I checked out multiple reviews on the '04 Discovery and found that people either hated or loved it. Seriously, half of the reviewers rated reliability less than 3 and condemned it as the worst SUV decision they've ever made while the other half rated it 8 or above and couldn't stop praising it. What's the deal? My father owns a Discovery and hasn't had any major problems to deal with and he tells me road trips are smooth and hassle free. I've driven it and the feel is great...seems sturdy and well built. Love it.
Please, shed some light with your own experiences.

Any advice on buying a used Disco? I live in Miami.
what do you intend on using the truck for? this is key

Old 11-13-2009, 12:19 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Many that rate the Discovery poorly bought it for the Rover name, not for what it is really intended for which is off road. They want a car that rides smooth as glass, gets 30mpg and never needs more than an oil change. They don't bother doing the maintenance these trucks require and therefore they are terrible vehicles.

The people that rate them highly are usually repeat Rover owners who understand they are maintenance intensive vehicles and keep up with the maintenance. They also accept that repairs are going to be expensive.

What are you going to use the truck for?

Old 11-13-2009, 05:46 PM
TReK

if you want to off road your rig and get it filthy and nasty then get a discovery,,,

if you want a rig that you can toss a set of 22" chrome spinners on and roll the ave on the ocean then get a range,,,i guess.

Old 11-13-2009, 06:56 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If you are looking to pick up chicks get a range rover...

Anyhow I am assuming there is a pretty big price difference between the 2. Reliability is not something Land Rovers are known for. How much money are you willing to spend and how much do you have socked away to keep the running. A disco will be a bit cheaper to maintain and fix.

Old 11-13-2009, 06:57 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Range rovers do a pretty good job off-road, their biggest problem is ground clearance. I saw a couple MKIIIs on an excursion I went on, that actually did very well off-road. A discovery is definitely going to be a vehicle that you can bash around and it will just come back for more. I think the largest decision for you to make is, how much are you really willing to pay? An 05 Range will cost 25 to 40k whereas an 04 Discovery can range from 10 to 14k, all of course depending on mileage and condition. You will find with any Land Rover, that it can be a love hate relationship. You will love the vehicle, but will hate what it costs to repair it (AT THE DEALER). If you don't mind doing some repairs yourself or taking it to an independent shop, the most basic repairs won't cost you an arm and a leg, and will make the cost of ownership much more reasonable.

Old 11-13-2009, 07:50 PM
JRS
4th Gear

I want this to be my every down vehicle. Take it camping, road trips, grocery store runs, etc... At the same time, I'll enjoy passing through the intersection amid the stares of those who appreciate class and sophistication.

I'm not concerned about the price difference. I just want a solid, classy SUV.

Old 11-13-2009, 08:02 PM
TReK

get a range then

Old 11-13-2009, 08:09 PM
Overlanding

Both are classy in their own right. I love that I can take my 03 Disco out on mule trails, wash it off and take the wife out for a nice dinner.

Old 11-14-2009, 10:33 PM
Rock Crawling

Why wash it off?

Quick Reply: '04 Discovery or '05 Range?