Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 11:40 AM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 04 Oil Consumption

Hello all Landrover owners.

Problem: 04 Disco with 80K consumes about 1qrt every 1000 miles. Replaced head gaskets at 60K. No smoke present from exhaust but I know the cat can take care of much smoke. I have noticed residual oil around the #1 cyl exhaust port which leads me to think I have bad piston rings or a bad exhaust valve guide/seal.

By completing a cylinder leak down test or compression test, how would I be able to pin point the source or does anyone have any other suggestions?

Old 11-30-2010, 03:34 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Did you replace the intake manifold gasket between the 2 manifolds, if not that can also be a reason for this usage.
Did this occur before the head gasket replacement?
Do a compression test and get back to us with the numbers. If that cylinder is to low repeat a wet test on that cylinder only before jumping into a leak down test.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:51 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Run a leakdown test, also make sure your pcv and oil separator are clean and free flowing. Did the machinist or mechanic inspect the valves during the head gasket job? A valve job is not that bad but new rings is a pain. What kind of oil are you using?

Old 11-30-2010, 04:18 PM
Winching

All upper engine gaskets were replaced during the head gasket change. The oil consumption didn't seem to be an issue prior to the head gasket replacement. I'll take the lead on the compression test and get back with the numbers.

I did the head gaskets and I did not remove the valves from the head for inspection. I'm running Penzoil 10/40.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:22 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

1 qt every 1,000 miles is well within spec.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:48 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine used to use about 1qt every 1,000 miles.
I run Royal Purple 5w30 now and it uses 1/2 quart every 3,000

However, a lot of people would much rather add oil since the price of RP is through the roof.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:53 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think mine uses any oil between oil changes. I am going to have to start monitoring it closer just to make sure. Now you guys got me worried.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:29 PM
Winching
Default Compression Test Completed (your suggestions??)

Hello crew,

Just to revisit the details from my original post.

What has become the major driver for getting me to get off my butt and investigating further is the burning oil smell is starting to be offensive. You can see oil residue leaking out the #2 exhaust port between the exhaust manifold gasket so I initially thought this was going to have low compression which it turns out it did not. In my original post I say the #1 but I ment number two which is drivers front cyl.

It appears that I'm burning/leaking about 1qt in about 400miles.

Prior to completing the compression test I ran the engine until operating temp and pulled the oil cap while running and the PCV hose and both have smoke/oil vapor present.

I also noticed that the intake had it's fair share of oil residue present on the throttle body and plastic piping.

My numbers:

#1 175psi dry
#2 165psi dry
#3 135psi dry / 170/180psi wet
#4 165 psi dry
#5 150 psi dry / 165psi wet
#6 166 psi dry
#7 165 psi dry
#8 150 psi dry

From these numbers it appears like the rings on #3 are not doing so well. Is it safe to assume this blow by is coming from the #3? She has 80K on it and maybe its time for a rebuild. Any suggestion are very welcome.

Thanks

Old 03-28-2011, 06:42 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine does too, has since I bought it from the dealer with 42k on it- and I'm at 94k now. I also have the infamous "4.6 tick"- I've had that since about 45k as well. I got head gaskets at 45k, from the dealer under goodwill (I was 2 months out of warranty by in-service date). I documented the oil consumption and the "tick" with the dealer over the course of nearly 10,000 miles starting at around the same time as the HG job, but LRNA wouldn't do anything about it because they claim that up to 1 quart of oil every 600 miles is acceptable!?!?!??! With regard to the inexplicable "tick"; the dealer wanted to replace the engine! BUT, LRNA only offered $2000 towards that repair (which, at the dealer, cost $10,000) or towards a new Jaguar/LR product. Needless to say, that was the last time the dealer ever saw my truck.

SO... What do I do? I use Shell RotellaT 15w-40 and keep a gallon in the back of truck so I can top it off periodically.

My oil pressure is good, all the tests done were good. My truck doesn't smoke or leak any oil. Where does it go? Only the Rover Gods know!

Old 03-28-2011, 09:02 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Disco_Fever
Mine does too, has since I bought it from the dealer with 42k on it- and I'm at 94k now. I also have the infamous "4.6 tick"- I've had that since about 45k as well. I got head gaskets at 45k, from the dealer under goodwill (I was 2 months out of warranty by in-service date). I documented the oil consumption and the "tick" with the dealer over the course of nearly 10,000 miles starting at around the same time as the HG job, but LRNA wouldn't do anything about it because they claim that up to 1 quart of oil every 600 miles is acceptable!?!?!??! With regard to the inexplicable "tick"; the dealer wanted to replace the engine! BUT, LRNA only offered $2000 towards that repair (which, at the dealer, cost $10,000) or towards a new Jaguar/LR product. Needless to say, that was the last time the dealer ever saw my truck.

SO... What do I do? I use Shell RotellaT 15w-40 and keep a gallon in the back of truck so I can top it off periodically.

!
Thanks for the follow up. My worry is that the hot exhaust gases are going to just continue to do more damage to the bottom end. I've been told that the factory rings are not the moly rings that should be in place. Since I have two of these bad boys, I think I'll plan on taking the 04 down in the summer and pulling the engine for rebuild, new bearings, rings, cam/lifters, heads rebuilt, water pump, oil pump gear. This should get me at least another 80K. Fun stuff and I hopefully won't give the Rover God another drop.

Quick Reply: 04 Oil Consumption