Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 transfer Case in an 03. Explain it to me like I'm a 5 year old.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2020, 09:02 AM
Winching
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Default 04 transfer Case in an 03. Explain it to me like I'm a 5 year old.

Morning all
So I put the 04 TC in my 03 last weekend...aaaand every night last week as well. I have been reading all the threads about wiring and I have to say when it comes to wiring, if it is not a fit only one way connector, i'm doomed. The 03 TC had two sensors with connectors. One above the Hi/low (blue sheath) and one below (green sheath). Also the connection that runs parallel with the Hi/low cable(black). The wiring harness has the two single spade green and black connectors that were not attached to anything. My impression is that is for a temp sensor in the TC that mine (03) was not equipped with so they were not connected to anything. The 04 TC has those and the additional two sensors next to each other for the dif lock. I have replaced motors (put the 4.0 from my white rolled Disco2 into my 03) I have rebuilt the top end of the 4.0 3 years ago (new cam, lifters, heads etc). This TC replacement was more difficult than all that. That could be because it's the most recent thing but man oh man.
With all that here is where I am. I had an XYZ switch issue I resolved (replaced switch with one I had) but ever since I replaced the TC I keep blowing the TC fuse (21 Transfer box, Alarm audible warning, Shift i/lock) So if I want to go anywhere I have to replace the fuse so it will come out of Park.
I don't care about the Dash light showing the dif lock is active. I would love for someone to explain to me like I'm a 5 year old how I should physically connect the wiring. You guys are the best and I have always appreciated your input.
RIck

Old 11-18-2020, 10:40 AM
Received 1,146 Likes on 792 Posts

The 04 TC has a lot of electrical on it and it is a bit confusing, you have:
  1. Hi/Low switch
  2. CDL locked switch
  3. Neutral warning switch (light)
  4. neutral interlock solenoid
You will have something mis-wired and it sounds like the interlock solenoid,

The connector's on top of the transfer case are for the neutral warning light and CDL light
The Hi/Low switch is on the front of the transfer case
The interlock is on the cable assembly for the 04's

No idea of the wiring beyond that and it a bit wet to be under there right now

Old 11-18-2020, 11:25 AM
TReK
Received 768 Likes on 636 Posts

I put the t-case from my '99 into my '03 over the summer. I will try to come back to you with some wiring guidance a little later after I've been able to get out and take a look.
If you're blowing fuses it does sound like you've got something connected to the wrong place though.

Old 11-18-2020, 01:40 PM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 281 Likes on 215 Posts

This post from an old poster (Grammin) may be useful. He was trying to figure out the CDL wiring for a 2004 TC transplanted to his 2003:

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...7-c0681-86397/

Sorry, this is all I have. Unfortunately, I am not an expert on wiring. But I hope this will help you to figure things out. Good luck.

Old 11-18-2020, 02:04 PM
Winching
Talking

Originally Posted by acg
This post from an old poster (Grammin) may be useful. He was trying to figure out the CDL wiring for a 2004 TC transplanted to his 2003:

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...7-c0681-86397/

Sorry, this is all I have. Unfortunately, I am not an expert on wiring. But I hope this will help you to figure things out. Good luck.
Yeah my eyes glazed over on that one. Thank you for sharing it

Old 11-18-2020, 02:13 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Richard Gallant
The 04 TC has a lot of electrical on it and it is a bit confusing, you have:
  1. Hi/Low switch
  2. CDL locked switch
  3. Neutral warning switch (light)
  4. neutral interlock solenoid
You will have something mis-wired and it sounds like the interlock solenoid,

The connector's on top of the transfer case are for the neutral warning light and CDL light
The Hi/Low switch is on the front of the transfer case
The interlock is on the cable assembly for the 04's

No idea of the wiring beyond that and it a bit wet to be under there right now
is 4 one of the two sensors just behind the CDL nipple? My wiring harness (03) has no connection for them

Old 11-19-2020, 09:50 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 366 Likes on 285 Posts

I did this swap as well. I also wired in some extra switches in the dash because the ones in the TC were bad (a kludge I know, but it solved my problem for free). This thread at least labels the switches. I'll update this post when I find more info about the wiring.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...witches-97839/

Edit: Here's a pic of the plug that connects the TC wiring to the chassis harness. Ideally you would get this section of wiring with the CDL-equipped TC because the non-CDL transfer case is missing some of the connectors. I'm guessing that maybe you used the non-CDL harness from the 03 and have connected the plugs on it to the switches on the TC incorrectly. Since they pass ground this is possibly why the fuse is blowing.

You can reference pages 59 and 68 of the ETM to identify the wiring path for the four switches, and page 557 of the Electrical Library shows the colors and pin location in the large plug in the pic above. Pages 558-562 show the detail of the connectors on the TC, with pinouts and colors.

Last edited by ahab; 11-19-2020 at 10:41 AM.
The following users liked this post:
DiscoBuckeye (11-19-2020)
Old 11-19-2020, 11:29 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by ahab
I did this swap as well. I also wired in some extra switches in the dash because the ones in the TC were bad (a kludge I know, but it solved my problem for free). This thread at least labels the switches. I'll update this post when I find more info about the wiring.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...witches-97839/

Edit: Here's a pic of the plug that connects the TC wiring to the chassis harness. Ideally you would get this section of wiring with the CDL-equipped TC because the non-CDL transfer case is missing some of the connectors. I'm guessing that maybe you used the non-CDL harness from the 03 and have connected the plugs on it to the switches on the TC incorrectly. Since they pass ground this is possibly why the fuse is blowing.

You can reference pages 59 and 68 of the ETM to identify the wiring path for the four switches, and page 557 of the Electrical Library shows the colors and pin location in the large plug in the pic above. Pages 558-562 show the detail of the connectors on the TC, with pinouts and colors.
I haven't wired either of the two CDL sensors (my harness has no place for them to plug in) and I have left the 2 blade connectors that were with my original wiring harness alone as well. I was under the impression they were for a temp sensor my TC does not have. BTW no pic is showing

Last edited by DiscoBuckeye; 11-19-2020 at 11:33 AM.
Old 11-19-2020, 11:46 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 366 Likes on 285 Posts

Weird. Were you able to see the pic in the link I posted? I've heard other people say this too, Chrome apparently has a problem with my server or something. Anyway, the pic in the link to my older post shows the location of the switches you should be connecting to. It's also possible that you pinched a wire.

The following users liked this post:
DiscoBuckeye (11-19-2020)
Old 11-19-2020, 10:14 PM
Winching

Well I figured out what was blowing fuse 21. I started with everything unplugged from the TC then one by one connected each one until the last one (naturally) blew the fuse. It was the black wire the runs with the hi/low shifter cable. Assuming the solenoid for the lock out was the culprit, I cut the tip off and unplugged the black wire. Good to go

Quick Reply: 04 transfer Case in an 03. Explain it to me like I'm a 5 year old.