Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 Range Rover sport supercharged?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014 | 04:17 PM
|
4wd Low
Default 06 Range Rover sport supercharged?

Hello, would like to hear what you guys think about
getting an eight- year old Range Rover with full service record. I currently drive an 04 d2 and thinking about trading it in for the range. Would you guys even consider it? Someone told me never buy a used car that is over five years old and loaded with sensors. Is the jag v8 better than the bmw v8 in the earlier models? The one I am considering is the 4.2 supercharged model.
Thank you all in advance.

Old 12-17-2014 | 10:43 PM
Overlanding

My wife has had a 2006 Rover Sport (non supercharged) about a year now. It's an awesome truck...but kind of apples to oranges compared to the Disco. For reference, my DD in the winter is a 2000 DII. A run to the hardware store to pick up mulch...we take the Disco...going out to dinner...we take her Range Rover Sport. The "bones" of the Range Rover Sport are essentially the same as the same year LR4. Extremely capable off road, but it just "feels" different than the Disco. The Disco has the feel of ruggedness...the Sport one of refinement.

As far as the Jag engine...the AJV8 is a great engine. I have a Jag XJR with the same engine (but supercharged) that has been trouble free for years. When that engine was introduced it was on the Wards top engine list. So the engine in the Rover should be the least concern. As far as the electronics on the Sport, yes, there are plenty....to fail. We have been back to the dealership a few times for little odds and ends (rear hatch sensor/solenoid, fuel tank release, and now the entertainment system is getting flaky). But hey...it's British!

The other thing to take into consideration is the air suspension of the Sport. Like my XJRs suspension...the complicated suspension will more than likely fail one day. But, there are coil spring conversion kits to replace the stock air shocks. Or just fix it when it comes due.

Keep the Disco to haul lumber and feel tough in...get the Range Rover Sport to ride in style! Might be worth looking into an extended warranty.

Last edited by FlamurAdili; 12-18-2014 at 04:29 PM.
Old 12-18-2014 | 02:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I have a bunch of experience with the BMW engine M62TU, fairly bullet proof. The one thing to watch for is the timing chain guides tend to go about 140k miles. Its about $700 in parts and days work. Then you are good for another 140k miles.

great engine, great torque band. Aside from the above they are very reliable, when the guides go you generally have warning as either noise or a code for timing advance. Its only fatal if you ignore it. I have put about 420k miles on those engines, with 280k on one 7 series.