Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1996 Disco Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 11:20 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Disco Won't Start

I NEED HELP!!!
A week ago I got in my car on the way to work and it wouldn't start. It started for a second and turned off. It turned over but no fire. The gas guage read empty. I thought I might have over looked the gas issue. I put gas in it and it still would not start. I called a tow truck and 2 hours later it showed up and I tried to show him how it wouldn't start and it started right up. The gas guage also read 1/4 tank now. I still had him tow it to the mechanic who could not find what the problem was, but gave me a list of other "Suggested" fixes. Today I went to go eat and when I was leaving I could not start my car and I watched my full tank reading on my fuel guage slowly drop to nothing. I figured I would wait it out (seemed to work before), but an hour later still nothing. I don't know if a sensor is telling my car not to start or what, but noone seems to know what is wrong.

Please Help. Its still sitting in the parking lot.
Thanks.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:28 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: 1996 Disco Won't Start

Well, if you have a full tank of gas when you parked it and then it was empty when you came back..you were robbed.
Gasoline theft is on the rise. Go put gas in your trk and see what happens.
Otherwise I would say that it is the crank sensor. That controls your spark.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:26 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Check the wires going to your fuel pump. I take it that it will crank, but not fire?

Old 07-01-2008, 10:43 PM
Team Owner

okdguy might be onto something. If the connector is loose at the pump not only will the trk not start but the fuel gauge wont work either.
If you pull up the carpet in the cargo area there is a access hatch in the floor to... what for it... access the fuel pump. Open that hatch and check the connector, or have your mechanic do it.
If you open the cargo door and beat the floor with your fist you might get the trk to start.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:21 AM
4wd High

Just fixed similar problem on my '95. No start, quarter tank of gas read as zero. What led me to the fuel pump was 1) the lack of noise back there when I turned the key to the "run" position and 2) no squirt of gas from fuel rail at Schrader fitting (passenger side of engine, next to the air box). Pulled out the pump, and found that the connector to the black pump motor lead had melted and the plastic had filled the gap in the socket. No ground = no gas gauge. Ten minutes with a utility knife and needle-nose pliers and it fired up immediately.

Next problem - why the heck did the connector melt? It's always something.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:09 AM
6th Gear

Thanks for all the tips, but still having problems.
I replaced the fuel pump and check some relays under the left side of the dash. Now what?

It works whenever it wants to and not all the time. Everything else works, but the fuel pump. Sometimes I get in and I hear the pump working and everything is fine and other times I get in and no pump. Sometimes if I wait with the power on it will randomly kick on. It never goes out when I drive, but just when I turn it off and turn it back on. Either later or right away.

I am stumped. Please help. I love the car and want it to work, but I am nearing the point where I just roll it off a cliff.

Thanks.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:22 AM
Team Owner

I would replace the cam sensor, after that I do not know what it could be.
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/NSC100840.cfm
I believe that the cam sensor tells the fuel pump to run and then the crank sensor tells the spark plugs to fire.

Old 08-28-2008, 03:44 PM
6th Gear

So...if the cam sensor is bad, only the fuel pump would stop working?
If the Cam Sensor was not working right, shouldn't I get a engine light or fault code?

Thanks for helping. I am really fustrated. You all give me hope.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:54 PM
Team Owner

Somebody please correct me if I am wrong, but te cam sensor sends a signal to the fuel pump to pump fuel.
When the fuel pump no longer recieves a signal it suts off. So if the engine quits then the pump shuts off.
So if the cam senor is bad and only sends a intermentint signal then the pump would work accordingly.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:10 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

spike, cam sensor controls fuel, but not the pump, just injection, lets the ecm know when the engine is on the intake stroke, so it can dump some fuel into the cyl... anyway, as to the problem, it sounds like you got have a bad relay, next time it happens tap on the fuse box under the hood, see if the pump kicks on, or just get a new relay, theyre pretty cheap, and see if the problem goes away

Quick Reply: 1996 Disco Won't Start