Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1997 D Series I

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 10:47 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 D Series I

I'm in the market for a new vehicle as my current one has had some issues lately.

Doing some searching around craigslist, autotrader..etc. I managed to find this 1997 Land Rover Discovery SE for a fairly good price.

From the pictures they seem to be attracting, but who really knows until I check out the vehicle in person.

My question is by the looks of it, what do you guys think?

I've searched this forum and already saw the 60k + maintenance thread.

If I were approved I would probably finance this vehicle. Comments and Concerns are appreciated.

- Santa

http://www.empireautomotivegroup.com...zip=&distance=

Old 05-26-2010, 11:11 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check it out just like you would any other used car. Check underneath for drips, take it for a nice long test drive and get it heated up. Check the CDL, windows up and down, A/C, sunroofs, everything, definetly consider a pre-buy inspection from a mechanic you trust.

But by the looks of it, seems like a pretty good deal. I had '96 SD same color (sold it a couple years back with a cracked IM for the same price as that one is going for) love that color!

(*Thinking to myself*...."I always knew Santa would drive a Land Rover!" )

Old 05-26-2010, 11:15 AM
7th Gear

Pre-buy inspection should be mandatory for these trucks. Make sure you get one. It shouldn't cost more than $100.

If it's in good condition, that price is a steal. Don't forget to figure for dealer fees (maybe 3-400) and taxes, if applicable.

Everyone's in a different boat, but I would never finance a 13 year old car, much less a Disco. In the event it craps out, you're stuck with payments on something you no longer use. I'm a big proponent of being debt-free anyhow, so I'm biased. Besides, most banks won't lend on cars older than 5 years without a huge adjustment in interest rate.

Just have an inspection and see what issues come up.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:31 AM
2nd Gear

Thank you for the quick responses.

I'll look into the PPI for that state, as I'm in the state that borders it.

Yeah I have read much about what possible issues to check, but if I were to get a PPI then I really wouldn't need to do it myself.

Every car will require maintenance , and working on cars myself will not be a problem. Especially since I've heard these are fairly easy to work on.

I guess it's time for Santa to change his ride. ;]

And reason for financing is because I am still paying off some money for my project car. And did not plan on throwing down $2K + upfront (warranty coverage is also something I plan on getting through the dealership)

Old 05-26-2010, 01:06 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My opinions are as follows:

1. I would NEVER finance any automobile that old. No legitmate financial institution would either. So lookout for an outrageous interest rate from any lot that offers to finance anyone regardless of credit history as this dealership offered in the ads you posted. They are not selling cars, they are selling you a loan!!!!!!!!!!! The cars are just there to lure you in.

2. A PPI does not replace you checking it out as well, it just gives you a second (hopefully a valid one) opinion. It can document what condition the vehicle is in. It may help you avoid making a serious buying mistake but does not guarantee it will not encounter some problems.

3. By all means give it a thorough pre-purchase lengthy test drive. Make sure the center differential lock will indeed engage. If it has not been shifted on a regular basis, there is a HIGH probabilty the linkage is stuck due to corrsion of the various little pieces (clevis pins, clips, etc.) When you move it from unlock to lock (side to side movement), you should get a cdl light on the dash, looks like a H. It is a pictoral representation of the front and rear axles. The same shifter also shifts the vehicle from high to low, this can only de done with the tranny in N. CDL should not be engaged on dry pavement, so find some mud or wet grass to try it out. However, you should be able to move it from side to side easily and in gear or not, moving or not. If sitting still it may not engage until you roll a few feet. But it should still move side to side without major effort. "Smooth as Butter" is how my friend described it. Mine was totally immobile when I first bought it. Even after freeing up the linkage, my CDL would not engage until I replaced the CDL switch on the transfer case. The internal plunger was shot.

The price looks pretty good, but don't fool yourself into believing they are easy to fix. They are fun to have, especially when they are working correctly.

I have a white 97 SE that I bought about three years ago. They can be fun to work on. They are more owner friendly than most of todays automobiles. They can also be very frustrating.

Is it going to be your daily driver? If so, you may be in for quite a challenge.

One more question, if you must rely on them to finance it at that price, How on Earth are you going to be able to afford to repair it when something does go wrong? Even if you do most of the work yourself as the majority of the members of this forum do, almost every item that you will need as far as parts, assemblies, components or whatever are NOT as cheap as the average automobile part is. There are limited sources for legitimate replacement parts, and the prices of most items will surprise you.

I am looking to buy another one for myself, since I have learned so much from owning my first one. I would buy another Disco I before I would buy most other vehicles, but I will look a lot closer at the next one than I did on my current one.

Besides if you want one to run for you on a daily basis, you should own at least two if not three of them. Seriously.

Good luck with your Disco if you do decide to jump on it. From the pics it does look clean, but a good detailer can make almost any vehicle look good.

See if they have any previous owners documentation and be sure to get a complete Carfax vehicle history.

Caveat Emptor, let the Buyer Beware.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:38 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You will NOT beable to buy any kind of warranty that is worth its weight in ink for a truck that old and with that many miles on it.
You can expect the warranty to double the price of the truck.
Just buy it and be done with it.
Keep in mind that it needs a head liner, and it may need some other work.
It is the base model.
Remove the oil filler cap and look inside, it should not be all gunked up.

Make sure you read the "write up" section on the top of the Discovery page before you buy.
Test drive several, even if they are out of your price range so you have a idea of what is good and what is not.

Old 05-27-2010, 06:32 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by santa
I'm in the market for a new vehicle as my current one has had some issues lately.
You have no idea what "some issues" are until you own a Disco. You will have more issues than you know how to deal with.

Why do you think it's so cheap?

Look at the posts on this forum - all about fixing these damn things! Go to a Land Cruiser board and you will read all about cool mods, not repairs.

You want another project? Buy it. If you want a dd, go elsewhere.

I just bought my '95 knowing it would need head gaskets soon. Well soon turned into immediately and I have it is costing me hundreds just in parts and the truck has been down for weeks. It's my 4th car so no big deal.

That truck either will need head gaskets soon or it needs them already.

Don't set yourself up for failure.