Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1997 discovery for teen driver

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 10:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1997 discovery for teen driver

apcollin- I want to say 24.7, but who's counting?

also, I got mine when I was 17, my first car. Good choice, I think

Old 10-28-2008, 12:33 AM
Drifting

I think an older Disco is a great teen vehicle:
[ul][*]Heavy, stable, low center of gravity,and solid as a rock.[*]Poor gas milage... means he/she will be less tempted to drive all over the place (yea thye will still be tempted... but eventually the cost will keep those miles down)[*]Low drive train ratios keeps the speed down a bit and drag racing is just not going to happen[*]Full time 4WD is safer[*]Great visability[/ul]
Only negative... have to be very clear to teach him or her... that 4 Wheel Drive is not 4 Wheel Stop... has to respect road conditions... rain/snow/ice...easy to become over confident.

In another year or sowe will probably buy another Disco for my current 15 year old... next best solid vehicle would be an old Checker... if you could find one with air bags!

Old 10-28-2008, 06:24 AM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am loving the 25 gallon tank. Other SUV makers need to take this as a lesson. The ONLY thing that hurts more than $60+ per fill up is having to fill up ever 250 miles. I love our Jeep Cherokee with all my heart, but the 18 gallon tank is just TOO small for a vehicle that gets 19mpg. In my mind, the Jeep uses "more gas" than the Disco, lol.

Good luck with your purchase. My DII is running perfectly, but posts like Spikes here have me remembering how he ALMOST had me talked into a DI instead of a DII!

Old 10-28-2008, 07:01 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm 22 and I just bought my 1998 Disco. And I have owned a Jeep before. So I can't say that a SUV is a bad thing for a teen driver.

The only thing to take care of is, as surfrat said, you have to take road condition into account even if you have a 4wd. Because a 4wd is harder to bring back if you loose control.

And if you intend to buy a Disco 1, it would be a perfect car to teach some mechanic basics related to maintenance. Good luck with your purchase

Old 10-28-2008, 07:13 AM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm 22 as well, but I must say that I'm a completely different person than I was when I was 17. I wasn't even a "crazy teenager", and I maintained the hell out of my car (that I bought and paid for myself each month... this is certainly a factor in how well something's taken care of), but still put drove it pretty tough. I tried not to take it over 3.5k rpms, but I tried not to let it below there too much either, lol.

All I'm saying is this: I'm not lazy, but the ONLY reason I'll be willing to do all the maintenance to my Disco is because I am driving it. If it were my wife's, I'd probably suffer from amnesia. I can't imagine being willing to put the time necessary into maintaining a vehicle for a teen- one that will be the host of many a show off, hard accels, hard brakings, and high revs.

When I was 17 I made about $120/week during school, and maybe a few hundred during summer, but still- I could never have afforded to give a Disco the kind of service it deserved.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:11 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i cant really say i was good to my cars when i was younger... i thought my first car was a racecar... it was a 89 toyota carolla so it clearly was not, i only learned this when i blew the motor...
________
DANIELLA_RUSH

Last edited by discoxd; 08-15-2011 at 02:23 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:31 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

ORIGINAL: justthink

I recently found a 1997 Discovery with about 172,000 miles on it. I have been reading posts and wondering what I should be looking out for with potential issues that these cars have. I currently have a Volvo so I'm use to preium gas, high maintaince and not getting good gas mileage. I just wondered what specifically I should look for when I go to test drive it tommorrow.
I question a 17 year old driving e Disco, especially a high miler. A fair amount of mechanical ability and maturity is really needed to be able to learn about 4 wheelers and maintane them.
This will be a costly vehicle over the next few year, based on it's mileage, can you afford something like this going into college?

Old 10-28-2008, 04:49 PM
4wd Low

Before I drove the Volvo I hada diesel suburban, so I am not new to the world of large cars. I was just curious if these cars had more maintance than other brands.

Old 10-28-2008, 05:28 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

So did we answer your question or did we just ramble and accomplish nothing?

Old 10-28-2008, 06:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle

ORIGINAL: justthink

Before I drove the Volvo I hada diesel suburban, so I am not new to the world of large cars. I was just curious if these cars had more maintance than other brands.
To be blunt, yes. All you need to do is keep up with scheduled maintenances and there really shouldn't be a problem though.

Quick Reply: 1997 discovery for teen driver