Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 D2 (gas V8) Fuse F1 blown, won’t start

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 12:24 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 D2 (gas V8) Fuse F1 blown, won’t start

Howdy all. New here to you all and trying to diagnose an issue. The Disco has had a few issues over the course of years, but this one has got me stumped. I went for a test run after some work was complete (found IAC was disconnected), and it just up and died and won’t fire up now. Upon checking fuses, discovered F1 under hood is blown, and I can’t keep one it it. Just blows right away. I see it’s an ECU fuse but unclear what is all connected.

I’m hoping that someone somewhere might be able to send me down the correct path on this. I’m really lost.

Thanks all.

Sam

Last edited by Sam Margulis; 07-28-2019 at 02:35 AM.
Old 07-23-2019, 02:38 PM
4wd Low

Anyone with a direction I can take?

Old 07-24-2019, 05:56 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

F1 is your fuel injectors and IACV. If I had to guess, I'd say your IACV is shorted out and was disconnected for a reason.

Old 07-24-2019, 07:28 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 851 Likes on 634 Posts

Welcome to the forum Sam.

Old 07-24-2019, 11:04 AM
4wd Low

Awesome Jason, thank you for that. I’ll head home with a few new 30A fuses and get that unplugged to see if it runs.

Originally Posted by Jason Feuerstein
F1 is your fuel injectors and IACV. If I had to guess, I'd say your IACV is shorted out and was disconnected for a reason.

Old 07-24-2019, 06:08 PM
4wd Low

Thank you!

Originally Posted by JUKE179r
Welcome to the forum Sam.

Old 07-24-2019, 06:09 PM
4wd Low

BINGO!!! Now what? Lol. How do I know if it’s the IAC itself or a wire to it? Can I test it with a multimeter?

Old 07-24-2019, 07:48 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Sam Margulis
BINGO!!! Now what? Lol. How do I know if it’s the IAC itself or a wire to it? Can I test it with a multimeter?
If it was a wire to the IAC, the fuse would have blown even if the IAC was disconnected. You've got a bad stepper motor and need to replace it. You can either buy it used off Ebay or shell out the money for a new one. Personally, I'd get a used one.

Old 08-03-2019, 09:59 AM
4wd Low

Hey Jason, now that I have my own scan tool operational again (Bluetooth to old Samsung tab) I have discovered a multitude. I plugged in the IAC and replaced fuses. It started right up! But it does have codes. I cleared the codes because I wanted to see if any of them came back key on, engine off. They did not. After several starts though, this is what I’ve got (hopefully image attaches). Looks like I’ve a long road ahead.

If it was a wire to the IAC, the fuse would have blown even if the IAC was disconnected. You've got a bad stepper motor and need to replace it. You can either buy it used off Ebay or shell out the money for a new one. Personally, I'd get a used one.

Old 08-03-2019, 12:35 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Sam Margulis
Hey Jason, now that I have my own scan tool operational again (Bluetooth to old Samsung tab) I have discovered a multitude. I plugged in the IAC and replaced fuses. It started right up! But it does have codes. I cleared the codes because I wanted to see if any of them came back key on, engine off. They did not. After several starts though, this is what I’ve got (hopefully image attaches). Looks like I’ve a long road ahead.

MAF sensor and O2 sensors are super easy to replace. I'd check and clean the connectors first, but in all likelihood you're going to have to replace them. 1884 is likely a MAF problem too if your MAF is going bad. You could buy the Discovery specific MAF, but I bought a Bosch 0280218002 for a VW and switched the housings; the sensor is the same, but it's cheaper. Densos or Bosch for your O2 sensors.

The evap errors could be a bad purge valve or they could be a problem with your gas cap. I'd replace the gas cap first, it tends to be problematic.

Some research indicates that P0340 could be a short in the harness, but the sensor rarely goes bad. It could also be a bad crankshaft sensor, or the wrong camshaft gear if the work you were talking about involved replacement of that.

Quick Reply: 1999 D2 (gas V8) Fuse F1 blown, won’t start