Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 DII Replace Radiator

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 11:52 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 DII Replace Radiator

I'm finally looking to tackle the replacement of the leaky radiator on the 99 DII. I just had a couple of questions and was hoping someone that has done it can reply.

Looking in my RAVE manual there are a few things I wanted to know:

1. It looks like you need some special tool to remove the viscous fan. Do you really need that tool?
2. Do you really have to remove the front grill?

Any other insights about replacing this thing? I'm also planning on replacing all of the hoses at the same time and probably the thermostat while I'm at it (car has 102K at this point).

Thanks

Old 03-16-2009, 08:24 AM
Mudding
Default Just did my 2002

I am not sure but I think these two are probably the same. You do not need to remove the fan. You do not need to remove the grill. I followed another members advice and did this:

1. Remove the plastic cover over the radiator.
2. Now remove the bolts/screws you can easily get to up top of the radiator.
3. remove battery/jack and remove the plastic bin they are stored in.
4. You now have easier access to the lower hose and the drain plug. Choose which you want to use to drain. Hose is fine but fluid will not make it to the ground in a stream you will need to have a funnel. If not then be prepared to clean up a mess because none will make it into the pan you have set below it.
5. You can also remove the other coolant hoses from radiator. You do not need to mess with the radiator lines as they do not go into the radiator.
6. Remove the air filter. Be careful not to break the clamps as they get kinda brittle. Also remember the two plastic bolts that connect to the vehicle frame. They are fragile as well. Also the bottom of the air filter has four rubber plugs that hold it into place. You will have to wiggle it free of those.
7. Now you can get to the bolts/screws down the radiator. It will still be kinda strange and I found a phillips with a 90 degree bend was helpful. Also make sure you use one well fitted for the head or else you could strip it.
8. Now lift out drink a beer.
9. From here it is just reassembly.

I am not a mechanic and if someone in the know wants to pipe in they are welcome. This worked for me.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:43 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

No special tool needed to remove the viscous fan, just a big crescent wrench and a hammer.
Put the wrench on the nut and wack it with the hammer.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:28 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

A big wrench won't fit on the nut, takes a very slim wrench and doesn't require a hammer.
Make sure when ordering the new hoses that you order the up-dated hose kit to relocate the bleed screw into the Tee assembly.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:43 AM
Team Owner

Is there less room behind the fan on a DII?
Andy and I just changed the viscous clutch on my DI yesterday with a crescent wrench and a hammer.
A couple of sharp quick raps on the wrench handle with the hammer and the fan spun right off.
I had been trying for almost a year to get it off with a fan clutch tool and a screw driver to keep the pully from spinning, broke 2 screw drivers and bent another.

Old 03-16-2009, 04:22 PM
Mudding

I had to use the clutch tool to get mine off. A good clutch tool comes with both a holder and a wrench for the fan clutch. When I wedged the holder in good and tight the fan came off easily.

I rented mine from Advance Auto Parts for about $70 and a credit on the return.

Old 03-16-2009, 04:41 PM
6th Gear

Thanks all for the help.

Old 03-16-2009, 04:55 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

you need better screwdrivers spike

Old 03-16-2009, 05:53 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by roverguy7
you need better screwdrivers spike
They were Craftsman, I got new ones for free.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:55 PM
Mudding

When you buy that radiator, you should look into "1-800 Radiator". I don't know if they carry radiators for our Disco's, but it's worth looking into. I just replaced the one in my sister-in-laws toyota today and they're replacement was $20 less than any one else. They have a LIFETIME WARRANTY!! You don't even need to keep your reciept, they engrave your invoice # on the radiator. They have 400 locations nationwide. Geez, I feel like a spokesman, but I was impressed (can you tell?).

Quick Reply: 1999 DII Replace Radiator