Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 Disco --- should I buy this?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 08:53 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Owner states:

- head gaskets recently replaced
- water pump replaced
- timing chain replaced

Now what should I offer him? Books for $3400 but he won't do that. He wants $5000 but said it's not "too" firm.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:08 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Since you are not familiar with Disco's, I would have a shop check it over before making an offer. The ABS, could be big bucks to repair. If the front drive shaft only has 1 of the 3 grease fittings it is supposed to have, there is another $250 to $350 worth of work needed.
Don't worry about the CDL for now, you need to really check the truck out

Old 02-17-2011, 09:10 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

with the mods and the rack, $5000 is a good deal. $4200 is a smoking deal. If you like it go buy it. Drive it and have fun. If you miss out on this one you will kick yourself. However, there is always another one around the corner. I paid $4300 for our 2001 with about 80,000 miles on it two years ago. Head gaskets had been done. I put new tires on it and rebuilt the front driveshaft. It is an SD model rather than you SE. the SE has leather, sunroofs, upgraded stereo, headlight washers and heated seats, I know, not a big deal in Florida. Headliner is also a common item to replace, $200 to have it replaced. Gas prices are going through the ceiling, so keep that in mind. You will get 12 to 14 around town driving and maybe 16 to 17 on the highway. use premium fuel and count on regular hobby costs, ie little this and that which will keep you busy on the weekend. Like I said, if you are looking for a Discovery and can afford to drive it, the green one looks nice and most of the trouble area items have been taken care of. See if you can get receipts to verify the repairs. You may want to invest in a pre purchase inspection. Welcome to the slippery slope. Good luck. Phil

Old 02-17-2011, 09:10 AM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

$4200 would probably be a pretty good price, but you need to make sure you're getting service records and you need to have the truck checked out by an independent Rover mechanic. As part of his inspection of the truck, you'll need him to determine whether the 90k service has been completed and whether the front drive shaft has been upgraded to grease-able u-joints. If not, or the mechanic finds any problems, then use these issues to drive the price down.

With respect to your questions about the CDL...(BTW, This is a painfully oversimplified description of the concepts involved. It ignores major topics like traction control, the front and rear differentials, and the 3 Amigos...) The transfer case (t/c) receives output from the transmission and transfers that power to the front and rear drive shafts. On a D2, this t/c is functionally an open differential, so the power can be shifted around, but might end up all going to one end if you get really badly stuck with only 1 wheel spinning. The Center Differential Lock (CDL) allows you to 'lock' the t/c which results in 50% of the power being transfered the front drive shaft and the other 50% of the power to the rear drive shaft. (If you're planning to take the truck offroad, you'll find that it is very capable, but having the ability to lock the transfer case can make a huge difference!)

The CDL is activated by turning a nipple on the top of the transfer case in the 1999 to mid-2001 Disco2's. On these trucks, all you need to do is come up with a method to turn the nipple. There are a number of methods for doing this including:
- Replace the transfer case shifter with a t/c shifter from a D1.
- A manual lever under the truck.
- A 10mm wrench from under the truck. (Not fun when you're stuck in a mud hole!)
- Replace the t/c shifter with one from a 2004 D2.
- Replace the t/c shifter with an Ashcroft t/c shifter. (Available through Lucky8LLC.)
- Add an electric actuator to turn the nipple when a button is pushed inside the truck.

IMO...The D1 CDL upgrade is easy and cheap. It's the way I went, and it works flawlessly.

NOTE: Beginning in mid-2001 through the end of the 2003 model year, the Disco2 t/c's did not have the CDL nipple, so adding the ability to lock the t/c is significantly more difficult. The 2004 D2's came from the factory with the ability to engage the CDL, so nothing is required to add it to those trucks.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:57 AM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ask the seller if he did the CDL mod, he will be the best to know. The standard H-L shifter needs to be replaced with another shifter that shifts side to side, this locks or unlocks the central diff. It's not import, but nice to have.
With those wheels, the rack and possibly a lift (it looks like it's lifted, but ask) I think the $4200 is fair - provided it is mechanically sound.
Where are you in FL? If in Orlando you can have these shops check it out:
http://www.chautoservice.com/services/
http://www.e2orlando.com/lr/services_lr.html

Old 02-18-2011, 08:13 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

I am curious, did you buy it? Did you make an offer? Keep us posted. Phil

Old 02-18-2011, 08:18 AM
Overlanding

Thanks everyone, you've all been a huge help!

I haven't met the owner yet he's been busy.

***PLEASE***
Is there anyone who would be willing to PM me their phone number? This way when I see the vehicle (5pm est) I can ask someone with more knowledge the me.....I can even Paypal you some $$ for your time.

Thank you

Old 02-18-2011, 08:46 AM
Banned

Where are you in FL?

Old 02-18-2011, 08:53 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Bundu
Where are you in FL?
I'm in Sarasota, vehicle is in Palmetto (20 miles north of Sarasota).
Are you local and could help a potential rover owner out?
I'd be willing to pay you some $$ or call you when I get there to ask you a few questions.

thank you!

Old 02-18-2011, 09:26 AM
Banned

I'm in Orlando, if you were in Orlando then I would not mind driving by, but Sarasota is a long haul. I'm going to St Pete on Saturday to pick up some wheels. I don't mind a call if you have questions, I might not have the answers though.
Here's a check list you can go through http://www.lrrforums.com/showthread.php?t=1676

Quick Reply: 1999 Disco --- should I buy this?