Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2" lift with the ACE system possible?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 12:38 AM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Snafu / Disco Fries
Also... say I went with the Terrafirma kit (non HD) would that give me a true 2" lift with the ACE? I'm still trying to figure out the brake line situation too, so if anyone knows for sure on that I would appreciate it. Otherwise, is there a decent kit that gives a bit less so I don't have to worry about swapping brakes lines, etc?
Your brake lines should be fine up to a 3" lift.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:53 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

OK, thanks! So here is what it looks like right now: Shocks have about 1" more travel, and *are* different parts that the regular ones. Many use the regular ones with no issues though, and most of the lift kits don't offer separate options. A 2" lift won't require moving anything around. I think I have it now

Old 04-21-2011, 09:16 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Snafu / Disco Fries
I've always been worried to touch the ACE fluid. The system works perfect and makes no noise. If it is as easy as suctioning some fluid out carefully to avoid dirt and replacing I will do it. As note Mike, the Lucas stop leak did not work in my PS. It was far too thick and really labored the pump and made it MUCH louder. I'm thinking avoiding this stuff might be best for the ACE, but using a fluid meant for older systems might be a good bet.
Also, if I am putting a 2" lift on the truck would I still need to mess with brake lines and such? If so... it might be a skip for me. I'm looking for a fairly simple job and install without messing with much.
You are not very mechanical to say the least. You don't change the fluid cause you don't want to mess with a good thing, wait till it fails and you are looking at a couple thousand dollars in repairs. That system needs to be flushed at least every 20,000 miles or it startest loosing it's ability to perform. Now I hate to see you worry, so get over it and start taking care of your truck. As for your P/S noise, bet you didn't come close to following directions on flushing it either.
Now, brake lines, this is your dumbest statement so far, lets don't replace the old rubber brakes hose, after all, all they do is swell up and fail, nothing to worry about or waste your time messing with, just do a skip. Sound like your just need to stick your head back in the hole in the sand let what ever happens to you happen.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:49 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

so i just got a 2001 with ACE and SLS for my wife, in reading this i would seem i can use pretty much stock shocks or OEM or god quality aftermarkets with little issue? I wanted to do OME as i love them on my 99 DII. Would that be correct?

Old 04-24-2011, 08:44 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
You are not very mechanical to say the least. You don't change the fluid cause you don't want to mess with a good thing, wait till it fails and you are looking at a couple thousand dollars in repairs. That system needs to be flushed at least every 20,000 miles or it startest loosing it's ability to perform. Now I hate to see you worry, so get over it and start taking care of your truck. As for your P/S noise, bet you didn't come close to following directions on flushing it either.
Now, brake lines, this is your dumbest statement so far, lets don't replace the old rubber brakes hose, after all, all they do is swell up and fail, nothing to worry about or waste your time messing with, just do a skip. Sound like your just need to stick your head back in the hole in the sand let what ever happens to you happen.
Well, sorry I am so dumb Mike. Granted, I'm not a retired retired service writer nor will I ever be. I come here for good advice (which you have given me in the past), not to be put down by someone who does not know me.
So, in your "bible" to servicing the vehicle at what mileage does it state to change your brake lines out? Also, what is the "proper" method for changing the PS fluid? For the ACE, the fluid looks good and smells good. Everything (including the manual) point to the system being uber sensitive to dirt. I'd be happy replacing some fluid a few times to "refresh" it...like I did the PS, but I am surely not going to start tearing apart things when it is fine.
How's your truck running lately?

The following users liked this post:
WabashRover (04-24-2022)
Old 04-24-2011, 08:52 AM
Administrator

Well, I hope you feel better now and have gotten past that little immature out burst.
You came here asking for help, and that I can give. If you want to wait till you have a brake line failure, that is fine with me, that way when it does failure you can kick your self.
By the way, Rover never listed a service for the ACE, but I can tell you, it is as often if not not frequently then the p/s unit.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:12 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Well, I hope you feel better now and have gotten past that little immature out burst.
You came here asking for help, and that I can give. If you want to wait till you have a brake line failure, that is fine with me, that way when it does failure you can kick your self.
By the way, Rover never listed a service for the ACE, but I can tell you, it is as often if not not frequently then the p/s unit.
I hope you feel better as well for yours. So, when we talk out of both sides of our mouths saying "read the manual" and then something is not in the manual to change out, why would it be so odd to think that going with the manual is bad? Why is it there are countless PS issues and I rarely hear anything about an ACE failure? Is the ACE changing in your "bible"? And, I ask again, are changing the brake lines in it? I've done 100% (and more) of what you "recommend". 100% my friend. And yet, you attack me and question my ability for asking logical questions. That sir, is not immature and there was surely no outburst.
I have appreciated your input in the past, I have done everything that is recommended by you in your outline of the service, so maybe you could see why changing something that is in fine shape does not need being changed. Honestly, with that logic, I should just change every nut and bolt on the truck.
I just hope you see where I'm coming from here.

WabashRover (04-24-2022)
Old 04-24-2011, 09:17 AM
Administrator

You asked, I gave you good/well test information and that is it.
Keep up this crap and I'll delete you from the site for a month or so so you can regroup.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Keep up this crap and I'll delete you from the site for a month or so so you can regroup.
So back on to the good/well test information and away from the crap, what is the proper way to change the PS and ACE system fluids?

Old 04-25-2011, 12:20 PM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow... That type of reaction and threat is completely out of place in this forum and is quite simply unbecoming of one who is entrusted with the powers of an administrator and moderator.

Your knowledge and experience will mean little if you belittle those who seek your advice. Mike, you may perceive that Snafu is behaving one way or another, or that he responded with an immature outburst or that he has a certain level of mechanical skill. Having read and reread this thread many times I just do not understand how you come to those conclusions.

Respectfully, I suggest this episode shows a unfriendly level of impatience on your part.

Sincerely,

WabashRover (04-24-2022)

Quick Reply: 2" lift with the ACE system possible?