Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 questions: Brake Bleeding, 3 amigo when its raining

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 07:12 AM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2 questions: Brake Bleeding, 3 amigo when its raining

Hello

I am new to this forum and so glad to have found all this info. I have some fixes to share too when I get the time to do the write up.

I have 2 Discovery ll a 2000 and a 2001. I will be selling the 2001. I bought the 2000 just a week after getting the 01. I got it for 1200 bucks because they thought it needed a head gasket!

Anyway the thing looks brand new but the owner washed it more than he drove it and rusted thru the radiator fan , the fan clutch and a bunch of other stuff by not driving it much

I had 2 new calipers installed (rusted shut) as well as 4 rotors. I did not know about the power bleed option so it got bled the traditional way and I have a good firm pedal.

Do I need to take it to a dealer to get this power bleed done?

When it is high dewpoint or raining I can get the 3 lights. What do I need to address to get this under control?

thanks SO much

John

Old 12-18-2016, 12:09 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 890 Likes on 642 Posts

If the mechanic who did the conventional bleed did it correctly it should be fine, especially since you say the pedal is firm.

The Three Amigos can be due to any one of a list of problems. The only way to know for sure what is causing them is to get the ABS codes read with a device capable of doing so. The fact that it happens only when it's wet suggests that the cause is not the famed failed modulator circuit board that can be corrected by the equally famed Option B bypass. But you won't know for sure without getting the codes read.

And finally, unless you're a decent mechanic it is important for you to find a reputable, independent Land Rover shop near where you live. Not an "imports" shop, a Land Rover shop. And avoid the dealership at all costs, because if you don't it'll cost you all.

Old 12-18-2016, 12:17 PM
Overlanding

thanks for taking time to help
as for the LR Dealer man it is outrageous what they charge. I called on a whim to see what the charge would be for filter replacement in the tranny and fluid change. Mind you the filter costs less than 20 dollars

they quoted me 1300 dollars, i laughed as i hung up the phone

John

Originally Posted by mln01
If the mechanic who did the conventional bleed did it correctly it should be fine, especially since you say the pedal is firm.

The Three Amigos can be due to any one of a list of problems. The only way to know for sure what is causing them is to get the ABS codes read with a device capable of doing so. The fact that it happens only when it's wet suggests that the cause is not the famed failed modulator circuit board that can be corrected by the equally famed Option B bypass. But you won't know for sure without getting the codes read.

And finally, unless you're a decent mechanic it is important for you to find a reputable, independent Land Rover shop near where you live. Not an "imports" shop, a Land Rover shop. And avoid the dealership at all costs, because if you don't it'll cost you all.

Old 12-18-2016, 12:26 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

I'm afraid John as an LR owner you either have to be very rich or learn quickly how to turn wrenches. One essential tool in the the 'boys own' kit is a code reader particularly for D2's due to their electronic complexities which get even worse with later LR's. You need the ability to read and clear codes but in truth you don't need to spend a fortune unless you want to bleed brakes through the ABS modulator or change performance parameters. The guys on this site will point you in the right and most viable direction. Good luck.

Also download a free copy to the LR RAVE workshop manual as it will prove invaluable for the future.

Old 12-18-2016, 12:34 PM
Overlanding

I do a Ton of my own work on these vehicles and have a basic code reader from china that will reset some of the codes but will not do things like power bleed the brakes etc.

I am not to proud to ask for help hence the thread I started. I hope someone with this specific issue with the rain will chime in about the amigos coming on

J

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
I'm afraid John as an LR owner you either have to be very rich or learn quickly how to turn wrenches. One essential tool in the the 'boys own' kit is a code reader particularly for D2's due to their electronic complexities which get even worse with later LR's. You need the ability to read and clear codes but in truth you don't need to spend a fortune unless you want to bleed brakes through the ABS modulator or change performance parameters. The guys on this site will point you in the right and most viable direction. Good luck.

Also download a free copy to the LR RAVE workshop manual as it will prove invaluable for the future.

Old 12-18-2016, 02:09 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by jmacster
I do a Ton of my own work on these vehicles and have a basic code reader from china that will reset some of the codes but will not do things like power bleed the brakes etc.

I am not to proud to ask for help hence the thread I started. I hope someone with this specific issue with the rain will chime in about the amigos coming on

J

Hi J, I wasn't intending to cause any offence. If the 3 amigos appear in the rain only or high RH only it sounds electrical, possibly in one of the 4# wheel sensors or wiring. Unfortunately there are a plethora of reasons for the 3 amigos, starting with poor battery/alternator power, earthing ground to issues with the ABS Wabco modulator. Unfortunately it's a long process of elimination unless you have a more sophisticated code reader which can zone in on the specific problems, typically, a Britpart Lynx, Nanocom or Hawkeye etc. which will also power bleed the braking system.

The following users liked this post:
jmacster (12-21-2016)
Old 12-18-2016, 04:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

I to have the same issue. There are scanners that you can get for less than 200 . Google "scanners for 3 amigos" there is even a guy that made a 3 amigos only scanner. Can't remember who or his site either. My scanner cost 250 and it reads for 3 amigos...don't remember the code and haven't taken time to fix it. I just did ps pump and heads and am taking a break.

Also, I don't feel you need to be rich to fix this truck as long as you wrench yourself. It's a Buick engine for ****s sake!

jmacster (12-21-2016)
Old 12-18-2016, 07:36 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Welcome to the forum first off man. The only time you should need a power bleed via testbook or one of the other readers is if you do something with the brake system above the abs block, i.e. the master cylinder or disconnect the lines to the block othe than that a regular bleed as outlined in the rave manual should be fine. If you don't have the rave manual, here is a link to a website where you can get it for free in PDF form. I have an iPhone and have it stored in iBooks on it and my iPad.

Discovery
Hope that help out in any further endevours

Old 12-18-2016, 07:45 PM
Pro Wrench

Miami rovers have the windscreen intake plenum in fiberglass and painted for around $190 on eBay. It seals off the vent though so no need for a filter. I ordered one for my cracked one. Awaiting arrival now

Old 12-18-2016, 07:47 PM
Pro Wrench

Sorry that went to the wrong post. If you check at the top of the threads, there is a 3 amigos fix that is relitively simple and I've done option b. Works great for me and a lot of others. Just an FYI

jmacster (12-21-2016)

Quick Reply: 2 questions: Brake Bleeding, 3 amigo when its raining