Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   2000 D2 Factory Center Cup Holder Removal (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/2000-d2-factory-center-cup-holder-removal-87872/)

Lisa Bunch 01-22-2018 04:31 PM

2000 D2 Factory Center Cup Holder Removal

Well, this is embarassing.. I read the manual, removed ashtray & coin holders, removed 2 screws behind each, and can't see the other screws to remove the cupholder/ash/cpin tray assy.
Getting ready to install temp and oil press gauges in pod under where cup holder is now. Never use because in Arizona we buy large 44oz mega drinks with lots of ice. They don't fit.
Am I taking too much stuff off? Do I just need to yank on the handle and rip it out?
And to think I'm going to be doing my own head gaskets...sheesh!

Best4x4 01-22-2018 04:43 PM

Should be 3 screws per side, 2 are located further back. Then the entire assembly will basically fall out.

Lisa Bunch 01-22-2018 04:58 PM

Yep, found em way high in the corners. The screws were hard to remove, very picky about the bit style, and took a lot of torque. I will box my orig up and get one from a wrecking yard to cut up.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/landrov...2730c4dcbf.jpg

Extinct 01-22-2018 06:17 PM

Those are desirable for 03-04's which did not come with them.

The Deputy 01-22-2018 06:23 PM

Just be sure to check your knuckle clearance, while shifting hi-low lever...if you decide to mount guage set there. I usually hit the cup holder tray, while shifting to low...couldn't imagine anything larger in its place.

Brian.

Davis31052 01-22-2018 07:10 PM

I had to use two separate gauge mounts to do my set up.

The one plastic pod for two Autometer 2 5/16 inch gauges wont work with the hi-lo shifter.

Best4x4 01-22-2018 07:17 PM

Scangauge II fits under the 03-04 blank plate & I can shift without hitting it.

Friday Night Disco 01-22-2018 09:03 PM

Please do a write up and post pictures of what you are doing, I am interested in doing something similar

Lisa Bunch 01-22-2018 09:20 PM

Will post pics, because I bought a double dash pod which I am mounting upside-down where the cupholder went. Mechanical gauges mean a bigger hole through the firewall too.

Lisa Bunch 01-23-2018 12:35 PM

I have propped the gauges in position. The center console is being removed due to severe cracking from the Az summer heat. I'm going to have to figure out what to do about window and seat switches.
I have never shifted it into low. I don't think it has EVER been shifted into low. Kinda nervous to do it..does the engine need to be running?
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/landrov...c3d8bb0415.jpg

That blue thing is propping it up.

dgi 07 01-23-2018 01:17 PM

if you never have put it in 4WL, then i would lube the hell outta the linkage.

Engine running, a slow roll makes it easier (under 5mph), trans in neutral and shift it. It its feels tight, don't force it. Try to wiggle it and maybe apply more PB blaster.

just re-read that.....

Best4x4 01-23-2018 02:09 PM

Cable linkages on the D2 are much more robust vs the mechanical linkages found on the RRC/D1/D90. They can get nasty if submerged or in places where they salt the roads, but nothing vs the mechanical setup.

If it doesn’t shift out of 4Hi the interlock solenoid could be frozen up. Thats how my Kalahari was when I bought it due to it never being used. Had to remove it completely, make a blank plate, and just used the external interlock solenoid on the 04 CDL Linkage I installed.

dgi 07 01-23-2018 02:20 PM

I would believe that if I didn't have to replace mine
.........because the cable snapped.

Best4x4 01-23-2018 03:19 PM

Yep like I said rust/corrosion can kill em. I got my 94 RRC for 1k off when the mechanical linkage was completely trashed. Quick trip to a junk yard & 25.00 later I was good to go! Original unit looked like it had been sitting down by the RMS Titanic. Rest of the RRC was rust free so I think the transfer case had been swapped out with one where they salted the roads or they drove it into the ocean lol. I was going to do the 230 swap if it ever died, but the viscous coupling never acted while I owned it.

The Deputy 01-24-2018 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa Bunch (Post 634361)
I have propped the gauges in position. The center console is being removed due to severe cracking from the Az summer heat. I'm going to have to figure out what to do about window and seat switches.
I have never shifted it into low. I don't think it has EVER been shifted into low. Kinda nervous to do it..does the engine need to be running?
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/landrov...c3d8bb0415.jpg

That blue thing is propping it up.

That is going to be in the way of shifting hi-low. I believe there isn't much behind the area where sticker is, double check of course, but maybe you could cut out that area and mount the gauges more forward. Of course, you say that you are removing console..so that may change things, too.

Yes, lube the living daylights out of the cable ends and do not, again...do not force the shifter...or you will be sorry.

Brian.

OffroadFrance 01-24-2018 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by The Deputy (Post 634438)
That is going to be in the way of shifting hi-low. I believe there isn't much behind the area where sticker is, double check of course, but maybe you could cut out that area and mount the gauges more forward. Of course, you say that you are removing console..so that may change things, too.

Yes, lube the living daylights out of the cable ends and do not, again...do not force the shifter...or you will be sorry.

Brian.

X1 ........... The more you use low range the easier it becomes, like riding a bike.

Start the engine and find a slight, very slight downhill, put the autobox in N neutral whilst rolling at 0-5 mph then ease the low range lever forward. Don't use the low range transfer box or CDL on the highway but only loose on surfaces (snow, deep gravel etc) or offroad on LOOSE ground or you'll damage the transfer box .......... expensively. When you are under the truck lube the hell out of the cable ends. Like you, I rarely ever use low range transfer box as I rarely ever need it.