Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Discover 2 CDL...educate me please

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2019, 11:59 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Discover 2 CDL...educate me please

This is a 2000 US-Spec Discovery 2 LHD that is all factory.

Front drive shaft got noisy, removed the drive shaft and attempted to lock the CDL to drive until new shaft arrives. I had tried this a few ways and couldn't get it to lock/sync up. Here is what I have experienced so far.

Position 1: CDL nipple turned to the drivers position when car started and in gear. (What I understand the be the standard open center diff)
  • With e-brake on front flange spins
  • With breaker bar attached to front flange "locking it" car will move back and forth
Position 2: CDL nipple turned to the center or middle position when car started and in gear. (What I understand is supposed to be neutral)
  • With breaker bar attached to front flange "locking it" car will move back and forth
Position 3: CDL nipple turned to the passenger position when car started and in gear. (What I understand is supposed to be the locked position)

Questions:
  • What are the actual 3 positions?
  • Why do I get identical behavior across the three positions?
  • What should I be trying/doing?
  • What am I missing?

Old 10-24-2019, 12:30 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by stereophile33
This is a 2000 US-Spec Discovery 2 LHD that is all factory.

Front drive shaft got noisy, removed the drive shaft and attempted to lock the CDL to drive until new shaft arrives. I had tried this a few ways and couldn't get it to lock/sync up. Here is what I have experienced so far.

Position 1: CDL nipple turned to the drivers position when car started and in gear. (What I understand the be the standard open center diff)
Position 2: CDL nipple turned to the center or middle position when car started and in gear. (What I understand is supposed to be neutral)
Position 3: CDL nipple turned to the passenger position when car started and in gear. (What I understand is supposed to be the locked position)

Questions:
  • What are the actual 3 positions?
  • Why do I get identical behavior across the three positions?
  • What should I be trying/doing?
  • What am I missing?
High range, neutral, low range

Then there is the nipple for the diff lock

It sounds like it's not actual switching position. In neutral the tcase should free spin not allowing the vehicle to move even if you lock the front or rear shaft/flange.

Last edited by Sandman614; 10-24-2019 at 12:33 AM.
Old 10-24-2019, 12:34 AM
Drifting

Hmm. The High Range/Low Range Selector is working fine...and on the other side of the T-case.

How does the CDL Nipple above output flange on the front of the t-case relate to the high range/neutral/low range?

Old 10-24-2019, 01:06 AM
Received 1,148 Likes on 794 Posts

@stereophile33 it does not. They are independent.

So you have Hi Neutral Low on one side
Open /Locked on the other

If you can get at the CDL nipple, I will have check, but I believe to rear is open to front is locked.

Transmission in neutral engine running to change - hi/low locked/unlocked

Last edited by Richard Gallant; 10-24-2019 at 01:09 AM.
The following users liked this post:
stereophile33 (10-24-2019)
Old 10-24-2019, 06:23 AM
TReK
Received 768 Likes on 636 Posts

i don't think there is a neutral position on the diff lock. it's not like the range selector.

Old 10-24-2019, 06:42 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by mollusc
i don't think there is a neutral position on the diff lock. it's not like the range selector.

mine operates just like this lucky 8 video

Old 10-24-2019, 08:02 AM
TReK
Received 768 Likes on 636 Posts

okay, my mistake then. it doesn't show a neutral on the diff lock side on the operating sticker, and i didn't recall there being a neutral position on my old truck.

Old 10-24-2019, 08:36 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by stereophile33
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3edP_cIkO50

mine operates just like this lucky 8 video
If you were to pull the CDL shaft out, you would see there's only 2 detents in it. The third position isn't an actual position, you're just pulling the ball and spring out of the unlocked detent and running the mechanism to the end of its play.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jason Feuerstein:
JUKE179r (10-25-2019), stereophile33 (10-24-2019)
Old 10-24-2019, 09:46 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jason Feuerstein
If you were to pull the CDL shaft out, you would see there's only 2 detents in it. The third position isn't an actual position, you're just pulling the ball and spring out of the unlocked detent and running the mechanism to the end of its play.
thanks Jason. Mine clearly has three detents “feeling wise” but I truly doubt that there is a neutral on this. But was trusting lucky 8 new there stuff

so anyone know why mine won’t lock? Or what I should be trying?

Old 10-24-2019, 03:47 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

With my trucks, I often had to roll the car/ drive it a few feet(up to 10) to get the lock mechanism to actually "engage". The center lock is not a direct engagement, it does need the mechanism to roll over to click into place internally

Quick Reply: 2000 Discover 2 CDL...educate me please