Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Discovery II Rear Suspension problem....

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 03:32 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Discovery II Rear Suspension problem....

Hey Everybody....I have a problem with my 00 Disco II rear suspension and thought that maybe you guys could help out with the problem. At first the compressor would not kick on at all, the fuse kept blowing from an aparent short somewhere, so I cut the connector at the harrness end hooked up a 12v sorce directly to the compressor to see if the motor would turn. It did but it started shooting out a lot of water like it had been water loged at one point or another. After all the water was out it runs fine on the 12v source but the rear bags will still not inflate. Then I noticed thatthe inline "small plastic air tank or filter" that is between the compressor and the first air bag on the drivers side, one of the tubes that the air travels through to get to the bag, where it connects to that little plastic tank the plastic was about the break off, there was air seeping out of that, so I removed that little tank with 2 tubes going into each side. I tried to hook up a small travel comprssoer directly to the air bags line and let it run for about 15 mins. Still the rear end has not lifted up at all on both sides. I was going to try and put in a inline valve that can be hooked up to the regular compressor at a gas station or somthing like that to try and see if the bags will fill. I dont hear any air leaking out of them or any other places, any ideas on why the bags are not lifting up???????? Anything will help at this point. Thanks $Brent$[8D]

Old 12-02-2008, 04:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default RE: 2000 Discovery II Rear Suspension problem....

Try the soapy water test. Put some liquid soap and water into a spray bottle, and while trying to fill the bag, spray all over it. If there's a leak you will see bubbles forming from the leak. If it is the bags that are faulty, get a new set from Arnott. If it is the compressor you may want to look at doing a rear conversion to coils. It'll depend on how much you like the SLS and $$$.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call Mike!

Old 12-02-2008, 06:44 PM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

It sounds like your compressor may be bad. I replaced mine at about 80K miles. It's doubtful both your bags went at the same time. If you had water in the compressor, odds are you need a new one. Check e-bay for a used one, they are very expensive new.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:58 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Just do like Disco2Guy said and convert to springs and be done with it.
You are looking at replacing close to $5,000,000 in parts, if you need a new compressor, airbags and height sensor.
The compressor alone is almost $2,000, air bags are $300 each and I think the height senor is $100.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:00 PM
Winching

Spike - I want whatever you're smoking! Just kidding (actually I'm not, I would like some).

The compressor is $600 brand new from the Stealer. I got mine for $120 off of e-bay. You can buy (2) Arnott (lifetime guarantee) bags for under $300.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:04 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

HA! I SWEAR the last time I priced one it was like 8 million billion dollars.
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/RQG100041.cfm

See, I keep telling you guys that I know nothing, but you keep asking me questions anyway.

Seriously though, I would dump the SLS.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:09 PM
Three Wheeling

If you dont mind buying a used item (youd probably be buying a used on eBay anyways...), RoverLandParts.com has the compressors for $275 + shipping:

Click here to view the Disco II air suspension compressor at RoverLandParts.com

Old 12-02-2008, 07:10 PM
Winching

I love my rear air. I actually did switch to a coil spring conversion, only to go back to the SLS after a few months. It just seemed a better ride to me, and I came across a cheap compressor. If anyone is interested, the conversion kit is for sale right now on e-Bay. 1 day left!!

But I agree with Spike. If you have too much trouble with it, ditch it and get the conversion kit. It's $225 at Atlantic British (or cheaper on e-Bay right now) and you never have to worry about it again. Me, I like to tinker, so I don't mind replacing parts.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:20 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Brent, go it the system scanned by a good mechanic. You may find it is simply an issue if resetting it.

Quick Reply: 2000 Discovery II Rear Suspension problem....