Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Disco II with cooling system and stupid owner issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 05:00 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: 2001 Disco II with cooling system and stupid owner issue

ahahahh hahahhhahh ahahhahah

he said hole,,,

Old 01-18-2009, 09:35 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You mean, let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little$##%%^ up maybe, butmy water pump isfunny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to@#$@#%^ amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? Howis my water pumpfunny?

Old 01-18-2009, 09:44 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

ORIGINAL: jhardebeck

You mean, let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little$##%%^ up maybe, butmy water pump isfunny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to@#$@#%^ amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? Howis my water pumpfunny?
Nobody is making fun of your issue or you for that matter. We are just kinda messed in the head and we like to have fun, makes life easier to live.
www.atlanticbritish.com for all of your Rovers needs. I buy 90% of the crap that I need, and dont need, for my truck from those guys.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:46 PM
TReK

i dunno your just funny,,

Old 01-18-2009, 09:47 PM
TReK

ORIGINAL: Spike555

Nobody is making fun of your issue or you for that matter. We are just kinda messed in the head and we like to have fun, makes life easier to live.
www.atlanticbritish.com for all of your Rovers needs. I buy 90% of the crap that I need, and dont need, for my truck from those guys.

phil you lame a$$

me and the new guy are gonna banter now. you go sit in the corner till you figure out what we are talking about

Old 01-18-2009, 09:49 PM
Team Owner

Ok, dunce cap on, sitting on stool in the corner.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:51 PM
TReK

Ok, dunce cap on, sitting on stool in the corner.

goodfellas my friend,,,

Old 01-18-2009, 09:53 PM
Team Owner

Sorry, I'm a little slow in the head.

Havent seen that movie in like 1,000 years.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:56 PM
TReK

Sorry, I'm a little slow in the head.

Havent seen that movie in like 1,000 years.

time to watch it again then,,,

you shot spider!!!

Old 01-23-2009, 07:14 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Evening gents,

A quick update on my progress thus far. I ordered a new water pump, thermostat, and serpentine belt and removed the water pump this evening. Thought you'd find what I found of interest as well. Since there are quite a few questions about removing the viscous clutch and fan, I thought I'd show you what I did there too. Pictures of my findings can be seen at http://71.179.174.21/waterpump/

First, the fan. RAVE said my 2001 DII had a right hand thread on the fan nut, which was accurate. I found a fan clutch wrench at the local auto parts store that had a 36MM and 48MM ends for about $18. I made a strap wrench out of the old serpentine belt and a piece of hardwood flooring I had on my scrap pile and used that to bind up the water pump pulley. Worked great and the clutch nut broke free pretty easily without resorting to cheater bars or additional leverage. I had to use a C-clamp to hold the strap for the fan but the angled slot I cut worked when I had access to fit it in and hold it, which is what I needed to do to hold the pulley while removing the pully bolts.

The closeups of the water pump appear to have some grease on the impeller shaft; actually, it's a metal burr from what I assume is the shear pin that holds the impeller to the shaft. It's what I suspected; the frozen coolant caused the impeller to shear and it freewheels on the shaft now. I guess this is the preferred method of failure, since nothing else appears to have been damaged.

Another lesson learned was that I should be replacing all of the radiator hoses at the same time. Even though they seem to be in good condition, they tend to be "welded" to the fittings where the hose clamps were, especiallyon the water pump outlet. I had to run a flat head screwdriver around the entire circumference of the hose to break it free from the metal outlet. Should have broken down and bought all new hoses too. Make sure you replace the hose clamps too; the factory pinch clamps are a pain to remove and don't seem to retain their holding power, so I'll be replacing them with screw clamps.

Will report back on results after I install the new pump and button my baby up!

Quick Reply: 2001 Disco II with cooling system and stupid owner issue