Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 Disco II, Broken Belt & Temp Gage!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 09:55 PM
Winching
Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts
Default 2002 Disco II, Broken Belt & Temp Gage!

Alright, i need some help here!

I was driving down the freeway and first thing that happened was that my battery light came one.

I continued, trying to get off at the next exit and i noticed that my power steering was no longer working as the road curved.

At this point my temperature gage light came on and the needle read as cool as can be.

As i am heading for the exit, about 45 seconds after the battery light came on, i smell coolant. As i am exiting on the ramp coolant starts burning off quickly and white steam/smoke is pouring out from under the hood.

I quickly got off an opened the hood and found out the right bank idler pulley was broken (bearings spun) and the accessory belt was broken.

I have replaced the belt and pulley and the temperature gage is still reading cold (dead bottom) and the light on.

I am assuming it is the sensor or the gage and i was wondering how to troubleshoot or if anyone has any ideas.

Also when i opened the hood coolant was boiling over rapidly.

Besides refilling the coolant is there anything else i should do after an overheat and how to i fix the gage reading?

Old 02-07-2010, 10:11 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you bleed the cooling system or just refill the reservoir? You could have an air pocket at the temperature sensor that is giving you the false reading.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:34 PM
Winching
Default Thanks!

I just filled the tank, i will try bleeding the system and get back to you on here.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:10 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Do you know how to bleed the system, if not don't try cause you won't get it done and you could toast your engine.
Where is the bleed screw on your system, on the upper hose or in a black plastic tee? If on the hose, replace it for the newer system cause it is very prone to blowing.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:57 PM
Winching

Alrighty! What I did to bleed it is just unscrew The bleed screw and raise the tank like how it said to do in the rave manual. I added coolant while the tank was lifted untill it came out the bleed screw and then re capped the coolant take while elevated. Is there anything else I need to do? Thanks for all the help disco mike!! You are a great resource around here and othe fourms!

Also after the overheat is there anything else I need to look at or check out?