Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 disco2 tracking down leaks

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 01:17 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 disco2 tracking down leaks

well thanx to discomike i have the 02 disco2 full of coolant and running a new thermostat. she seems to be running well, but i have noticed some fluid loss in the reservoir. only about 12 fl. oz.s over a week or 2, but it may be of some concern b/c i smell a faint amount of coolant when i step out after a long (50 miles) drive.

-i have noticed some of the new coolant on the back side of the engine when i am under the truck. so what coolant lines or coolant components run on the rear of the engine bay? maybe the heater core or another system i am unaware of?

-i do have a few drips of oil from the front side of the engine also, i know that a rover is going to have some seepage, but i'd like some advice on tracking down this mystery leak. there is NO evidence of a leak on the top of the engine, i notice that the sway bar, steering bar on the front is usually well coated w/ oil so this may be directly under the leak, and while replacing the thermostat i didn't notice any oil leaks there....
sooooo, what would be my best place to begin looking for a leak in the area? should i remove anything to help me see the area better? suggestions of any sort would help, and i think i need to replace the idle tensioner so i may be removing the same stuff to assist w/ that soon too! thanx

Old 02-24-2009, 01:49 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Don't waste too much time looking, you need head gaskets.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 105 Likes on 12 Posts

I would power scrub every inch under the hood and under the engine. That's the cheapest thing to do before spending money on getting it checked...etc.

Once you KNOW that your leak consistently comes from (insert location) then go off that as to how to repair/fix it. Hopefully it's NOT your head gaskets..

Josh

Old 02-24-2009, 03:53 PM
Drifting

yep, i was afraid it would be a head gasket or both, but i have made the attempt to see what it wasnt before jumping straight to that conclusion! i'm gonna see how this warranty goes about replacing the gaskets, but im still unclear about the leaks???

-so the head gasket is leaking and allows oil out the front and coolant out of the backside? i haven't noticed any mixing in the oil itself but maybe i'm just catching it before it gets that bad??
-thanx tho discomike for the walk through on properly bleeding the coolant system... surprisingly i never have had a heater go cold or any overheating since i've owned it, bad luck for me i guess

Old 02-24-2009, 04:05 PM
Administrator

Shout once you start getting estimates, so we can make sure you don't get bent over.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:22 AM
Drifting

well, so far the quote i've received from the dealer was 3k but a local shop that i use for my fleet vehicles i maintan offered 2600. maybe that isnt too bad, what are u thinking it would run (without having the heads redone at the time)???

Old 02-25-2009, 07:49 AM
Administrator

$1400 to $1700 is the going rate for the actual job plus a set of plug wires and other items that should be changed out at the same time.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:53 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got my heads done at the dealer for 2200 including plug and wires and oil pan gasket.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:21 AM
Drifting

could u clarify that for me??
- to access the heads u would remove most if not everything on the top, but when reassembling u would replace the head gaskets, the valve cover gaskets, and what other gaskets on the top? (intake, exhaust, coolant gaskets)? are there any on the front that need to change at the same time?(timing cover, etc.)?(maybe even the waterpump gasket or would that be something i could do seperately)

Old 02-25-2009, 12:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If the coolant is leaking at the back of the engine, it could just be the valley pan gasket, just as, if not more common to leak than the head gaskets. It "usually" leaks at the rear left hand side (looking at engine), the coolant then drips down onto the bell housing.

Its diffcult to see it, best way is climb onto the engine (whilst running, (BE CAREFUL OF THE FAN / BELTS RUNNING) and look right at the back with a mirror and torch, you will probably see it dripping away, this will aslo confirm whether or not its the head gaskets.

Quick Reply: 2002 disco2 tracking down leaks