Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 Discovery Series II

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 12:33 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 2002 Discovery Series II

Afternoon everyone! I've been driving and moderately wheeling a 2000 Xterra SE for the past few years, but I recently came across a cracked head gasket that left me looking for another vehicle. And that search lead me to the following:

2002 Discovery Series II, 60,000 miles, and she's stock:

Name:  aN12KHz.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  3.21 MB

Name:  uXKeKv7.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  3.78 MB

Name:  npHGHFJ.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  4.15 MB

Xterra for some background on what I got into:

Name:  g4dwUQL.jpg
Size:  428.9 KB

Name:  CuYipXf.jpg
Size:  462.8 KB

Name:  V0Yhlm8.jpg
Size:  3.33 MB

Name:  pFb1gqH.jpg
Size:  3.47 MB

I'm not positive yet where I'll go with the direction of this build, but it needs to get me to work every day, climbing crags, and potentially some light wheeling. I really enjoyed taking the X on the trails, so I imagine it will only be a matter of time before the disco follows suit.

Look forward to spending some time here gents,

Chris

Old 05-10-2014, 12:16 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why did a cracked head gasket leave you looking for a new vehicle? Do you mean cracked head?

It should be known before you get into a Discovery that your probability for experiencing major engine failures goes up probably ten-fold over a similar Japanese 'Ute. If repair cost was the major contributor toward leaving the X-Terra, I see disappointment in your future.

No doubt that Disco in the pictures is a nice rig. Looks well cared for. But it's a 12 year old vehicle, approaching the mileage where one begins to get into expensive repairs on these. $200+ front driveshaft replacement, $1,000+ head gasket swap, gaskets, and there's more. Plus the regular maintenance items like fluids, belts, hoses should be kept in mind-- Parts and maintenance for this vehicle will be a fair bit more expensive than what you would have seen with an X-Terra.

Most used Disco II's reach the market when their owner begins to have overheating issues (more than likely this involves at least one serious overheating event), took their rig to the dealer, got a $3,000+ quote, and wants to bail before things get so bad that they can't sell it. This one is at the prime mileage and age for this scenario.

Not saying you shouldn't pull the trigger. But it's imperative that you give it a GOOD thorough test drive, which involves long periods of idling to check for any signs of overheating. Make sure that whatever price you pay has some money for an expensive repair set aside (again, prime mileage and age for this). On the 4.0L Rover motor, the first "minor" expensive repair is valve cover gaskets, first "major" expensive repair is head gaskets or worse depending on what kind of overheating it's seen.

The only time I'd suggest these vehicles is to folks who enjoy tinkering and is mechanically inclined. Time and time again, I see people stating "Either you're good at fixing cars, or you're rich." This couldn't be more true, and either will suffice.

Old 05-10-2014, 01:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its got 60,000 miles, good find. Welcome to the boards. Just be perfect with maintenance and she'll run good for a long time. They have a lot of quirks, but none that are too hard to accomplish if your a shade-tree mechanic.

Old 05-10-2014, 02:05 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Dane!
Its got 60,000 miles, good find. Welcome to the boards. Just be perfect with maintenance and she'll run good for a long time. They have a lot of quirks, but none that are too hard to accomplish if your a shade-tree mechanic.
and..........................you have a good line in expletives and obscenities when you smash your knuckles up spannering...................oh, and copious beers in the chiller.

Old 05-10-2014, 02:20 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

In all seriousness the truck looks excellent especially with only 60K on the clock.

I have to admit that working all this week on my 1995 Pajero it becomes apparent that for it's age it's of better build quality and engineering than the D2 which I bought new in 2003 albeit they both have highish mileages with the Paj at 90K and the D2 at 123K. They are both comfortable with all the 'bells and whistles' in both although the diesel injection in the Paj is mechanical as opposed to electronic in the D2. The one thing lacking in the Paj is cruise control but it has other bonuses in that it doesn't have any electronic glitches but many other little benefits like electronic shockers, CDL, and also other small benefits. They make serious offroad trucks as well.

I'm torn between replacing the RRS with a new Pajero diesel as they are still quite formidable and cheaper. (now I'd better go to confession and do penance - problem is - I'm an atheist )

Old 05-10-2014, 03:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
and..........................you have a good line in expletives and obscenities when you smash your knuckles up spannering...................oh, and copious beers in the chiller.

That too, cant forget that. My knuckles actually are still scabbed up from doing my t-case out put bearing about two weeks ago. The slider hammer I rented was a tad to long, so every time I pulled it back to hammer it against the stop... my knuckles hit the bell housing, ouch. Got it done though, I would just buy a shorter slide hammer the next time around. Super easy job, just a little painful

Old 05-11-2014, 10:47 AM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The Rover side of me says buy the low mileage D2, do the 60k service and enjoy.
The practical side says keeping the Xterra would be a good idea.
Head gaskets and bolts would be about $200-$300
If the head were cracked, add about another $300-$400.
Or if the block were bad then get this;

2000 NISSAN XTERRA Engine

Complete with a 5 year warranty. Hook up your exhaust, bolt on your accessories and go.

Should you decide to get the D2, you'll find plenty of help and advice here.
Just do some research on it and read the forums. Check the coolant too. If it's Dexcool, plan on flushing that out and replacing with regular coolant.

Old 05-11-2014, 11:43 PM
Drifting

only 60 grand? that's low miles. your d2 will need head gaskets. they all do. but not this early. not a bad job really. but just know your going to put head gaskets in there someday.other than that they are good rigs.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:56 AM
Recovery Vehicle

130k and no headgaskets on mine and 160k on me pops truck and he hasn't done them yet either.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:06 AM
2nd Gear

Thank you for the responses everybody, and maybe I should elaborate. I've replaced the head gaskets on the X, the head is cracked. Sorry for that confusion. I still have it until I can get the time and energy to fix the head, but I'm not sure when that will be.

I have acquired the discovery and one of the major selling points was the previous owner had done a lot of the higher mileage maintenance as it has been on the road for 12 years even tho it only does have 60k miles.

I'm excited about the level of activity here and I'll be sure to keep you guys updated

Quick Reply: 2002 Discovery Series II