Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003-2004 LR Discovery SE7

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 07:11 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003-2004 LR Discovery SE7

Hello,

I decided to join the forum.

I'm in the market for a 2003-2004 LR Discovery SE7, looking to purchase in a month or so. I know I want 90k and under on the miles, color does not really matter except white. Wife does not want white.

What are any known problems I need to look for?

This will be the daily driver for the wife and kids. I have no issues working on cars pretty much grew up working on cars. Plus also have no issues working on British cars as well. I grew up in London so reading strange wiring diagrams are not an issue.

Please let me know so I can know what to look for when we are looking.

Thanks
Richard

Old 05-12-2009, 08:00 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

What are you planning to use it for?
03's have had oil pump/engine failures so before buying one call a dealer with the vin and see if it is on Rover failure list.
04's have a locking t/case that the 03 didn't have and hence have about 50% more traction.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:04 AM
Three Wheeling

Right now plans for it is just daily. but as time goes on maybe a little off road.

Was the 03's to all of the pump failure or was it in the beginning. I swear I read something yesterday about first 2000 models.

We have a jeep cherokee that is referred to as bumpy by the kids so any off roading we do probably will be done in that due to dont have to worry about paint.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:41 AM
Administrator

One of the engine casting machines had the oil pump mounting pins at an angle which caused the pump to fail, taking out the engine in most cases.
If you find one, just make sure to get the vinn and call it to to make sure.
Also, if you do find one get back to use with the information, especially the prices. 03's are currently $8000 or lower in most areas.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:38 AM
Three Wheeling
Default 2003-2004 LR Discovery SE7

ok wife found a 2003 se7 with 90k, For 10k.

Vin is SALTW16453A821808

This is what we found in the car fax.

12/2006 - Service contract claim
Engine serviced
Oil pan gasket replaced
Maintenance inspection completed

04/2007 - Service contract claim
Drive axle serviced
Engine serviced
Differential replaced
Oil and filter changed chassis lubricated

09/2007 Service contract claim
Electrical system serviced
Vehicle repair completed
Anti-theft/keyless system checked
Front door latch replaced
Manufacturer's recommended maintenance performed
Oil pan gasket replaced

It has had its oil pan gasket replaced twice and the diff replaced. Is this normal?

Old 05-12-2009, 09:44 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I would personally stay away from an 03. The re-sale will be less just because of the hype on the oil pumps, and it does not have a locking transfer case. If you go off road at all, you will want it. If you are handy and want to get a good deal on a truck you are going to keep for a long time, then you may want to consider it.

Like Mike asked, what are you planning to do with the truck?

Oil pan could have been leaking the first time, and that close to 100K, they probably flushed the engine and dropped the pan to clean the oil pickup.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:51 AM
Three Wheeling

We probably will not do much off roading.

heck my cherokee has never been off road except for riding around the back yard to keep the 4wd lubed up.

I really doubt the wife would like going in the woods with her brand-new-used LR, especially cause all of the ones she is finding there is any paint defects on them.

I leave the looks of the paint and body to her. As long as it passes her stringent eye then mechanical is usually up to me.

We are really talking about keeping the car for a good while so resale we are not worried about. Heck I've had most of my cars atleast 8 years.

Only one that is newer to us is the accord only due to we purchased it to have sitting in atlanta traffic for the wife. Now wifey is a stay at home mum so it just gets used to go to school and go to the gym.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Whatever you do call a dealers service manager and verify the vin.
What state are you in, kind of pricey for an 03, I have seem many 04's going at that price.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:12 AM
Three Wheeling

I'm in ga. for some strange reason se7's seem hire than regular. Regular se's seem to be around 5-6 and se7's 8 and up.

We have a place here near us and the LR's they have LR's and they are all exceptional but they seem to be very high.

The one above is at a different dealer. The one like it at the LR place would be in the 14's.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:30 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The main think is look for leaks. head gaskets are weak, and like to pop around 60K. Check all of the electrics twice. If you get an 04, make sure the shifter works properly.Obviously run the VIN on any 03. There is a dealer close to me that runs a lot of Discovery's through. I was looking at an 03, and they didn't even know about the oil pump situation. Check it out and stay away from one in the range.

Quick Reply: 2003-2004 LR Discovery SE7