Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 disco engine knock

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 09:26 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 disco engine knock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmw9m...ature=youtu.be

Hey guys, a disco im looking at purchasing is near immaculate except for this knocking coming from the engine, my guess is lifters. But im worried it may be rods. The only solace is that the sound wasnt present when the vehicle was first started, it only came when the engine warmed up. What do you guys think?

Old 10-08-2013, 10:14 PM
Mudding

Put an ultra gauge on it and see what the temps are. . otherwise might be a slipped sleeve. ..

Old 10-09-2013, 12:40 AM
Overlanding

Please excuse my ignorane but what would the temperatures mean? And where would i place the ultra gauge. ...and what is an ultra gauge XP

Old 10-09-2013, 07:32 AM
Mudding

Well you said after it warms up You get a knock. When I drive my 2000 around to test drive it, it ran perfect. But on the long trip home I got a knock. .. Mine was more of a loud tick. I plugged an ultra gauge into the obd port under the drivers side of the dash, and found my temps were too high..the oil was getting too thin. I cooled the motor down, and ran rotella and the tick went away completely. ..

Last edited by suzukisam967m; 10-09-2013 at 07:35 AM.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:06 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Is it a tick or a knock, does it happen when cold, hot or all the time?

Old 10-09-2013, 10:02 AM
Overlanding

Suzukisam - interesting, i'll have to give that a go.

Disco mike - id say more of a knock, were you able to hear it in the video?

Old 10-09-2013, 10:20 AM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd say that is an awful tickknock. Be interesting to see what the oil pressure is on this engine. Low oil pressure could of course lead to lifter ticking/knocking. Your Bearings could be badly worn driving the low oil pressure.

Knowing these engines better than I'd like I would lean on it being a slipped liner.

You could try changing the oil with a Heavy Straight weight oil (50W) with the hopes that it is a lifter and this will keep it pumped up even at operating temps. A lifter/cam R&R is not a bad job.

See if you get the oil pressure check and let us know what your seeing at warm idle.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:17 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Hapakid88
2003 LR Discovery Engine knock - YouTube

Hey guys, a disco im looking at purchasing is near immaculate except for this knocking coming from the engine, my guess is lifters. But im worried it may be rods. The only solace is that the sound wasnt present when the vehicle was first started, it only came when the engine warmed up. What do you guys think?
After listening to it, I would say it's too loud and hard to be lifters. Of course, it's a video from a phone, so it could be wrong, but it sounds deeper and harder.

If it's not a STEAL, I would keep looking just to be safe.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:33 AM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperSport
After listening to it, I would say it's too loud and hard to be lifters. Of course, it's a video from a phone, so it could be wrong, but it sounds deeper and harder.

If it's not a STEAL, I would keep looking just to be safe.
You never know. I've seen some nasty valve trains on these engines. I would agree you need to keep looking for one that is solid (for now).

Old 10-09-2013, 12:36 PM
Overlanding

Thanks for the input guys. Yah ive still been shopping around, ive looked at, listened to, and driven 11 different discos now (starting to get a feel for them) and this one felt the best when driven and absolutel looked the best inside and out, just that one damn (potentially catastrophic) knocking sound. It only has 88k miles and is a 1 owner vehicle with pretty solid maintenence records. He's asking 4800 but im pretty sure i could drive away for 4500. And if i just need to replace the lifters and cam, id ****** it up tomorrow because it is head and shoulders above anythig else ive seen, but if it is a sleeve or a pushrod or any of the other numerous possibilities...id be screwed. Seems like the general concensus is keep looking? And thanksso much again guys for all your input, ive been so excited to get my hands on a disco and im reaaalllly trying to make sure i get the right one

Quick Reply: 2003 disco engine knock