Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Disco II Driver Window Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 10:36 AM
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2003 Disco II Driver Window Problem

Hello all,

I have a 2003 Disco II and I recently encountered a problem with my driver's side front window during an offroad session. The window makes a huge clunk and pop when it is lowered and stops about 2 inches down from the top. If i roll it back up and put slight pressure on the bottom of the pane, it will go down without the pop and without issues. It will then roll up without any manipulation with no issues.

Any ideas as to what this could be? I want to try and diagnose before I pull the panel of the door off.

Thanks,
Indeterminate

Old 04-03-2015, 03:47 AM
Mudding

You probably have this figured out by now but the culprit is the roller wheels on the window regulator, they get brittle and break apart. I am currently going through this and have the same pop sound on the pass side window. That is the sound of the window not going up horizontally and the possibility of breaking the glass. Don't force the window anymore as if the regulator arms aren't already bent they will get bent. My drivers side regulator arms were bent to all hell so I ordered a new one. There is a member on here that designed the roller parts and sells them at Shapeway website, 3D printed, which I ordered for the pass window. It's pretty straight forward on taking the door card off and getting the regulator out of the door skeleton. He recommends using acetone on the 2 part rollers he designed as it melts the ABS together and the joint will be stronger than the material. I'm waiting for my regulator..hurry...I've drove around all winter with my window at 3" half mast since I didn't have a warm garage to fix it in, it's now 60 degrees. Needless to say, I had the heat cranked to high all winter.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:27 AM
5th Gear

Hankeester,

Thank you so much for the helpful information, I apologize for such a late response. I am getting the regulator and installing it next week.

Thanks again,
Indeterminate

Old 06-19-2015, 06:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 151 Likes on 104 Posts

Just throw a washer on the peg where the old roller used to be. I did it 3 years ago and it has held, total cost $0.15.

Old 06-20-2015, 02:28 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

I sanded down a shower door roller and installed as a replacement and it has worked like a charm.

Old 06-20-2015, 03:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I drilled out the old rivet and replaced with two washers and a new rivet. I also greased the track. Worked fine until recently when my window motor went out. So I ordered a new motor and already have the regulator from a year ago. Will replace both soon.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:49 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd recommend doing the regulator and motor all at once, it's the same amount of work and both parts are cheap, about $80 total.

Just did it in my '03 myself in about 90 minutes which included replacing half of the vapor barrier that had been butchered by somebody else previously.

Old 06-25-2015, 05:47 AM
Mudding
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Or you can use these :

https://www.shapeways.com/product/ZQ...ows-rollers-v5

Very easy to install and they work as good as the original.

Old 07-15-2015, 10:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ralphobell
I drilled out the old rivet and replaced with two washers and a new rivet. I also greased the track. Worked fine until recently when my window motor went out. So I ordered a new motor and already have the regulator from a year ago. Will replace both soon.
Did your motor sound like a buzzer in the door when it went out?

Old 07-15-2015, 10:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by robL
I'd recommend doing the regulator and motor all at once, it's the same amount of work and both parts are cheap, about $80 total.

Just did it in my '03 myself in about 90 minutes which included replacing half of the vapor barrier that had been butchered by somebody else previously.
$80! Was that used. British Atlantic wants $140 each for the regulator and motor!

Quick Reply: 2003 Disco II Driver Window Problem