Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Discovery II for sale, should I get it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 03:47 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Discovery II for sale, should I get it?

I've been looking for a disco for awhile now and happened upon this one. I'm worried about the oil pump issue as the VIN falls within the range. It's got 147k miles, so I'm wondering if the oil pump has been replaced? I'd really like your opinions on if this is a good buy or not.

2003 Land Rover Discovery HSE7 Silver/Beige 147K

Old 05-26-2014, 05:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ask for service records. If they don't have them, I wouldn't buy it.

Old 05-26-2014, 05:28 PM
Winching
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

with 147k on an 03 the oil pump is the least of your worries. not to mention the price seems on the high side. I would get it to an independent rover mechanic and go over all the records you can find, check online car fax as well.

Old 05-26-2014, 06:42 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

take it either an indy or land rover place and get them to do a full pre purchase inspection. My '03 Also is in the death range with 117k on the clock. Do you really think if an oil pump was bad they would get to these kind of milage??

At these kind of milage you want to be asking when the head gaskets were last done it, what the front drive shaft is like, what the frame is like? Is the egine ticking when it's hot (slipped liner etc)

Does it have all the lights on the dash when you start it up and do they ALL go out when it runs, things like that....

Price is roughly right, may be a bit on the high side but there is always room to negotiate..!!

Old 05-26-2014, 06:57 PM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 283 Likes on 216 Posts

I had the same concerns when I first considered buying a 2003. However, I read that oil failures of this nature would have pretty much appeared early on during the life of the engine. In addition, LR warrantied many of the failed engines by simply replacing new ones in them. Hence, it is has not already occurred in a 2003 with higher mileage, it would most likely not happen.

I recommend getting a pre-purchase inspection before making a final decision. You are looking at a HSE model which has the air suspension system (relatively greater reliability issues).

If you decide to buy it, plan on giving it a complete maintenance work through such as replacing or servicing the front drive shaft; fluid, oil and filter changes on every drivetrain component (e.g., engine, transmission, transfer case and diffs), check shocks/springs, etc.

Good luck!

Old 05-26-2014, 08:08 PM
4th Gear

Thanks for all the replies. I test drove and inspected from top to bottom as much as possible. No engine noises, idling and revved. Engine and belts looked great. No leaks. Past emissions. The SES light was on and I asked that they let me know all the codes it's throwing. Carfax looked good with 50 service records. Looks like it had a huge over haul at 68k at the LR dealer. The price is less than most on Craigslist in my area. The dealer was using it as his personal vehicle for the past week and said he's had no problems.

I'm gonna go by and look at it again tomorrow. I love a disco and really want to find a good one. I've done some research but if anyone wants to give anymore pointers to look for, I will.

Old 05-27-2014, 05:56 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

have it inspected prior to purchase

Old 05-27-2014, 11:47 AM
4wd High

Originally Posted by dhollis007
I've been looking for a disco for awhile now and happened upon this one. I'm worried about the oil pump issue as the VIN falls within the range. It's got 147k miles, so I'm wondering if the oil pump has been replaced? I'd really like your opinions on if this is a good buy or not.

2003 Land Rover Discovery HSE7 Silver/Beige 147K
There is one just like it in Franklin. You must search under landrover (1 word). She is advertising a pair for $4000. The black one is rusty and won't run. I looked at it yesterday. She would probably sell the silver one around $2500

Old 05-28-2014, 07:50 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

for 2500 i would gamble on it

Old 05-28-2014, 08:20 AM
4th Gear

If this one falls through I'll definitely contact them.

The dealer let me take the disco home last night and look it over. I'm taking the disco to a LR shop now to get inspected.

Quick Reply: 2003 Discovery II for sale, should I get it?