Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which one is the best option in your opinion?
04 D2 with 126K Miles
43.75%
04 D2 with 140K Miles
25.00%
00 D1 with 105K Miles
31.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

2004 D2 Purchase...I could really use your expertise

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 02:39 PM
Received 393 Likes on 306 Posts

It says hoses were replaced on #1
might want to ask for receipts

Old 04-11-2019, 05:17 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good point, I will just ask for full service history before getting there
Originally Posted by redwhitekat
It says hoses were replaced on #1
might want to ask for receipts

Old 04-11-2019, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

If your unsure ask to take the D2 to a local auto shop for a pre-purchase inspection.

My gut still tells me #2 is the best of the bunch with the #3 coming in second & the #1 D2 coming in at last place.

Old 04-11-2019, 08:37 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 366 Likes on 285 Posts

Don't forget to inspect the frame, especially trucks from the Northeast. The first pic seems to be in CT. Headgaskets and cooling issues can be fixed, rotted frames are a much bigger challenge.

Old 04-11-2019, 09:04 PM
Received 1,146 Likes on 792 Posts

I am with Best4x4 I would put #1 at the bottom of the list, the hoses and low coolant are just too iffy for me.

Old 04-11-2019, 11:48 PM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It looks great on the outside .. very pretty .. but Coolant level is #1 indicator it's NOT meticuliously maintained AND it's got orange Dex ... AND it's low in coolant .. dense in coolant .. that coolant is way too dark ! AND the hoses are swollen from pressurization .. meaning it could have a HG gas leaking into the hoses .. .. u need a block test ... KN OIL filters are awesome but KN air filters are big NO NO's they mess up the MAF and reduce air intake .. ad is bull bull and more bull ...until you see receipts ,, cleared checks .. debit-credit card deductions in online banking to the mechanics .. get the mechanics names .. numbers .. look em up .. .leave no stone unturned .. ounce of prevention pound of cure ..

Contact the mechanics .. ask what was fixed or reccomneded and not fixed ... take no chances.. some broke A-hole and his nasty wife try to scam a 03 DDII on me years ago ,, I got the VIN .. plate .. year make model .. had their names .. address .. phone ... .contacted the dealer and pretended to be him .. found out it. had been neglected by this couple who didn't even know how to change the damn oil and needed 8 grand in repairs - AFTER warranty and a yes sir your cars been a regular in here .. and i see from he notes you waited until the warranty expired for this and we told you not to and you brought it back and argued with the manager .. now what kind of dumb *** neglects his rig so much .. he waits until the warranty expires to get major repairs done ?

Now I was told by my buddy at the time this was under handed for me to call and pretend to be him .. but in the end ...I found out their bull **** .. went back .. pretended to examine it .. called them out .. and watched the guy lie through his teeth and deny it all. His nasty wife with her big buck teeth granny pants Twisted Sister haircut (I'll never understand what some guys put up with to get laid) told me I was rude and to get lost. Yea ask me to do something hard lady..

Don't mention you talked to the mechanic or the coolant low and wrong type to him .. it's an easy fix and he will fix it and pass it off to someone else ....

Last edited by DavidOHendo; 04-12-2019 at 12:15 AM.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:55 PM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And it doesn't have ACE man ..I would knock 3000 off the price just for that reason alone.. try an ACE Rover on a highway curves you will never go back .. also check the steering fluid level .. see if it's clear .. if it was replaced like he says in the ad ,, fluid is clear and at the fill line ..

Old 04-12-2019, 03:26 AM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

David, I know exactly how you feel. Last weekend I went to see another car. Supposedly well maintained with all the records. When I got there, I asked for the service records as Im doing a walk around/under the car. His son is on the way with them. As I take it for a test drive, the car is running rough, like it struggles. I push it and see how nervous he gets. Within 15 minutes several issues come up including the CEL light. As I scan for codes and find out the car is running lean, he drops the price by $800. I give him the benefit of the doubt and ask where those records are. They never came...He wasted 5 hours of my life. Good thing it was a nice day for a road trip.

You are absolutely right about cosmetic appearance. #1 looks great on the outside as well as the interior. That is what initially attracted me to the car. The guy even includes his scan tool and shop manuals. It was a good sign. I was hoping that with proper service records I found my perfect Disco. The way things are looking I will not even consider the trip(700 miles) unless he comes up with those records.

Is it unrealistic expecting to find a D2 in #1 condition maintained like #2 for about 5K?

Last edited by MichalNY; 04-12-2019 at 03:48 AM.
Old 04-12-2019, 04:58 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by MichalNY
Hello everyone,
Those double and triple clamps at the T fitting tho...
Even though the first D2 shows a CDL installed and a busted ash tray (lol), I'd go for the second D2 even though it has higher miles.

Last edited by JUKE179r; 04-12-2019 at 05:04 AM.
Old 04-12-2019, 05:38 AM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

As mentioned, something is going on with #1’s cooling system. The double clamping is pure funny business, and bad shade tree mechanicing. I should know. They’re chasing a leak, or hoping there is a leak because coolant is disappearing.

I voted initially for one in the poll, but had not read thru the thread.

Go with #2.

Quick Reply: 2004 D2 Purchase...I could really use your expertise