Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Disco II clunk and a question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 02:12 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2004 Disco II clunk and a question.

Hi Everyone,
Great resource this place is. So far between the forum and the RAVE I have fixed the front prop-shaft, done the 60,000 mile service, fixed the horn and cruise control, quieted the a/c blower fan, replaced the a/c condenser fan, changed out my brake lines for S/S, and a whole host of small things. The Disco is running and driving like a new car now. I even Leatheriqued the seats and it feels and smells new.

I was told when I posted that the clunk in the drive-train is something to get use too and I should just let it be if everything checks out with the prop-shafts. It happens when going on or off the throttle or from a stop. After doing some reading on the transfer case output flanges and differential flanges I was wondering if the slight play I feel in these maybe the culprit. The bearing and flange replacement of these parts seems straight forward. I guess my question is will replacing some or all of these parts remove the clunk or is the problem deeper in the transfer case or differentials? If I have to live with it I will, but figure I will throw this out there one last time.

Thanks,

Mike

Old 10-27-2011, 02:54 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

when I had my front shaft removed while it was being rebuilt the front diff made the same clunking noise you are describing. What all did you replace on the front shaft? How are the joints for the rear shaft? When was the diff fluid last changed? when was the transfer case oil last changed?

Old 10-27-2011, 04:43 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Yes the flange could come loose, but rare. When do you hear the klunk, is it when you get off and on the gas, if so most of that is normal.
As already asked, when you did the front drive shaft, did you replace the centering ball?

Old 10-27-2011, 06:11 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Yes the flange could come loose, but rare. When do you hear the klunk, is it when you get off and on the gas, if so most of that is normal.
As already asked, when you did the front drive shaft, did you replace the centering ball?

Yes the shaft is completely new actually with greasble joints, etc. I check the flange as far as looseness, but only feel play while turning. All the oils front to rear are new. The clunk was there before and after a 100% complete service as prescribed in the 60,000 thread.

The klunk is exactly how you just described it. I know they say its normal, but it does not feel right I guess. What is the part that makes that klunk? It did diminish some after adding new gear lube to the diffs and transfer case. I will tell you this interesting tid bit, maybe it makes sense too you. When I had the truck up on jacks and I removed the wheels form one side to do the brake lines I tightened the lugs and the wheels would turn a bit as you would guess. I did the same thing on the other side when I was completing the work. I noticed that the klunk was completely gone during the entire drive, at least 20 miles and it was completely go for the next two days and then slowly returned. The only thing I can figure is that the wheels turning forward removed the play when I had the truck in the air. I have to believe that when these trucks were new there was no klunk. I am just wondering if I am missing something basic like maybe over the years the gear run out has widened as they worn down. Maybe they could be reshimmed? Just guessing of course.

Thanks,

Mike

Old 10-28-2011, 09:52 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

It all happens in side our t/case where the torques from the front and rear meet up. As long as you have no metal chunks in your gear oil, you should be fine, get used to it or quit feathering the throttle.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:24 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

Believe it or not you do learn to drive so that it is not that really noticable. When I bought mine I thought there was a problem with the backlash in one of my diff's, now I barely notice it.

Old 10-28-2011, 03:21 PM

I was also worried about that same issue......looks to be normal then haha good news.

Old 11-02-2011, 03:26 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to hear! I am having the same issue/concern and was hoping it would go away after getting the front prop rebuilt. I still plan to get the rear prop rebuilt next and will check for metal chunks in the gear oil as Disco Mike mentioned.
I have already figured out the method of driving to avoid the clunk as drowssap mentioned, is there a merit badge or something for that?

Old 11-02-2011, 03:29 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh and I found this thread by utilizing my most advanced search method to date... I typed in "clunk" and hit the search button.....

Old 11-02-2011, 05:16 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by far4cges
Good to hear! I am having the same issue/concern and was hoping it would go away after getting the front prop rebuilt. I still plan to get the rear prop rebuilt next and will check for metal chunks in the gear oil as Disco Mike mentioned.
I have already figured out the method of driving to avoid the clunk as drowssap mentioned, is there a merit badge or something for that?
no merit badge. Just an xbox achievement

25G : Like A Limo Driver !!

Quick Reply: 2004 Disco II clunk and a question.