Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 discovery 2 engine misfire?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 09:01 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 discovery 2 engine misfire?

Hey guys,

My name is Chris Ferrugiari. I am new to the forum but I have been following for some time now. I want to thank everyone for all of the great information on the site. It has helped me a ton. The things I have done to my disco since I bought it in June is. Replace the power steering fix the sunroof leak twice LOL. added a new ARB front bumper and stereo.

So my disco has 98k and the check engine light came on once and I cleared the codes to see if it was something minor. Then it came on again recently after about 400 miles. The guy that read the code told me that it is a misfire. So I am writing to see what this can be and what steps I should take to try to fix the problem myself starting with the most basic. Keep in mind that I do not have a lot of experience with motors but willing to learn. I am just hoping its nothing serious since this disco is SOOO clean and took a while to find.

The code was P1000(249 the first time around. check engine
The second time I didn't get the code he just told me it was a misfire. I drove it for about 30 miles so far and it has not come back on and I do not notice any issues with the engine while driving. There are no signs of overheating either. I will say the engine does sound a little different after driving for a little while idling there is a slight knock but its faint I am worried it can be a sleeve that has come loose? If that case would I hear that right away if that was the case?

Old 08-30-2018, 12:35 PM
Winching
Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

If the CEL comes back and you want to address the misfire yourself, get one of these from Amazon and download the Torque App (for Android, Iphone has similar stuff).

OBDII Bluetooth OBDII Bluetooth

I don't recognize the P1000, the Rover misfire codes should be P0300 (random), P0301 (cyl 1), P0302 (cyl 2), etc. If you do pull additional codes, report back.

Old 08-30-2018, 01:41 PM
Overlanding

Ok, I will report back with more codes. Thanks!

Old 08-30-2018, 01:49 PM
Winching
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by juicyhotsauce
Hey guys,

Keep in mind that I do not have a lot of experience with motors but willing to learn.
Willing is the key word. It will be a frustrating but rewarding ride.

Old 08-30-2018, 03:53 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Have you ever ran some injector cleaner through it? Fuel quality being what it is nowadays, it's not a bad idea to do this twice a year. However, follow the directions on the additive...if it says add it to twenty gallons of fuel/full tank...do that, because...MORE...is NOT better. You can damage the oxygen sensors by over dousing the fuel with injector cleaner additives (some).

When was your last tune-up?

You're starting to get into the high mileage range, might be time to start using a high mile oil product (tick issue). What are you using now, and what region do live? Please do not run any engine flush(es) through this engine, it only loosen carbon internal...and runs it through the oil pump. Just use quality oils and build up should be minimal.

Brian.

Old 08-30-2018, 09:30 PM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by juicyhotsauce
Ok, I will report back with more codes. Thanks!

There is a downloadable manual called the Rave that lists all of the codes, and relevant issue.

Each system is detailed, and if you have the time and patience you can read, diagnose, troubleshoot.

The engine is incredibly tolerant, and so a code is usually meaningful, but can be cleared to ensure it comes back, so an obdII tool is a must.

Old 09-29-2018, 07:39 AM
Overlanding

Thanks, guys for all the information. I will be doing a tuneup soon. I got the tool like you guys said to get. The light hasn't come back yet. Hopefully, it was a minor like a gas cap. I live in NY.

I will keep you updated.

Always appreciate the help.

Old 09-29-2018, 08:41 AM
Overlanding

I am going to replace all my oils since I am around 100k. What oil do you recommend for high mileage and should it be synthetic?
Also when I do the tranny oil as well what do you recommend? I live in NY brian.

Old 09-29-2018, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Rotella T4 15/40w

Valvoline Max Life ATF:

Mobil1 M301 Oil Filter

Old 09-29-2018, 10:07 AM
Overlanding

You're da man!! Thanks brother!!

Quick Reply: 2004 discovery 2 engine misfire?