Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Discovery

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 11:58 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Discovery

I am very troubled. Has anyone already experienced problems with Power steering box and Power steering pump (very expensive items)? After a trip to the dealer to replace a failed used alternator they installed on my truck without my consent, the technician wrote on the invoice as comments that "Power steering box and Power steering pump are seeping". I have to note that the same technician earlier told me these components were fine and working as designed. I have been personaly visually inspecting the car. It was completely dry prior to going to the dealer. As a strange coincidence, fluids began recently to puddle underneath the truck.

Could you please give me your technical, mechanical and honest opinion; what are your takes?

Old 11-30-2010, 12:21 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ronguiteau
.....It was completely dry prior to going to the dealer. As a strange coincidence, fluids began recently to puddle underneath the truck........
I'm not sure you could consider that a coincidence....that's what happens when you have a leak, fluid that was once in your truck ends up on the ground

My advice would be to STOP taking your truck to that dealer, and STOP driving around w/o PS fluid!

Power steering issues seem to be fairly common, do a search in this section to see problems others have had and see if any match up to your issues. Have you been driving the truck around with no PS fluid?

Old 11-30-2010, 12:44 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Verify it is the pump

I had an issue with what I believed was a PS pump but it takes some time and work to verify of which the dealer probably didn't take the time to do.

The problem is it could be a supply or return line that is leaking down the pump. The pump is in a difficult location to see so you need to make sure it is really clean and if you can get under the car with a bright light you may be able to see the source. If it is a slow leak you may see nothing, in this case I would cleaning everything really well with mineral spirts and then spray the PS housing and lines with a foot power from you local drug store as well as the supply and return lines. This will act as a developer and the wet area should be very visible.

Good Luck

Old 12-02-2010, 04:50 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all for your quick comments. The truck has PS fluid in it. "... It was completely dry prior to going to the dealer. As a strange coincidence, fluids began recently to puddle underneath the truck". I mispoke when I said fluids began to puddle. I should have said "pour or flow". Because this area has been and was completely dry before.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:50 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Don't worry about other peoples issues, this weekend, degrease the p/s area, top and bottom then power wash it at the local do it yourself car wash. Then watch it for the next few hours and see what exactly is leaking on your particular truck.
Then you find the leak, get back to us.