Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 discovery

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 07:51 PM
TReK
Received 393 Likes on 306 Posts
Default 2004 discovery

hi all new to this site, looking at getting my first rover, looking into 2004 discovery, still has warranty, had a couple questions about the suspension, is it an air suspension ? im guessing these models dont raise or lower the truck as like the newer lr3 models ? am i correct ? also how does the 4x4 work on these vehicles, i know its got a lever for 4 low high ? i went to test drive one the guy was having a hard time moving the 4x4 lever, should it not be easy to move ? or was he doing something wrong ?

thanks

Old 05-17-2011, 08:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default ok...

what kind of warranty and can you yourself turn a wrench? also, i assume you are not getting this truck from a dealer as one of there salesman would not have a problem with low and high.....

chris

Old 05-17-2011, 08:44 PM
TReK

its a private sale, warranty as i was told is bumper to bumper still from the total easy care from ford when they owed it, owner emailed me today saying he figured out the 4x4, he must not ever use it. owner has told me engine was replaced 30000 kms go as it had the gasket leak, and yes im mechanicly inclined, hvac mechanic not so much on cars lol

Old 05-17-2011, 08:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default ok...

ok...you really need to check the warranty as most wont cover a grenaded engine...Yes, these trucks have a history of distroying themselves very quickly.In most cases the warranty company will say it was user fault. It's a aluminum engine so thing go bad very quickly. Your truck new was over $30,000 and as you may get for less than a third of that, your cost of replacement parts and labor have increased. As for the engine replacement because of head gasket...they only replaced the head gaskets.... How many miles? Figure at 100k you should dump 3 to 4k into preventive maintainence...These truck have a habit of sucking you dry of cash for really stupid crap... Or you could drive for 60k without so much as a sniffle... Dont bet on it and prepair for the worst and you could live threw it. Also remember that if and when you do want to really outfit it it will cost more than you paid for the truck...

Chris

Old 05-17-2011, 09:06 PM
TReK

thanks for the advise, i know its a hit and miss, either people say they have had no problems others is a nightmare, its scary to hear some stories, i do like the truck, still thinking about buying it.

Were the frames known to rust on the 2004 models ? i checked there was some rust nothing bad from what i saw?

Old 05-17-2011, 09:14 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If there's salt on the roads, it will rust. Mine has lived to tell the tale of two Michigan winters so far, and she sure has the scars to prove it. Nothing major, but it most definitely isn't rust free like when I bought it in 2009.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:33 PM
TReK

i usually get my vehicle rust proofed every year with krown, its well worth it, but i have hear some frames go bad really quick on the land rovers

Old 05-17-2011, 11:11 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hey redwhitekat...welcome aboard.

Originally Posted by redwhitekat
...had a couple questions about the suspension, is it an air suspension ? im guessing these models dont raise or lower the truck as like the newer lr3 models ? am i correct ?
No; some models (SE7) came with air suspension standard. It was on option on other models. Some people convert to springs to alleviate problems with the air suspension (leaking bags, etc.).

...also how does the 4x4 work on these vehicles, i know its got a lever for 4 low high ? i went to test drive one the guy was having a hard time moving the 4x4 lever, should it not be easy to move ? or was he doing something wrong ?
These trucks are full time 4-wheel drive with gears (NOT AWD)...was the seller moving very slowly forward (~5mph) with the trans in neutral moving the lever? It is much easier that way, but at a stand still with the truck in neutral, it can be a tough push to engage 4-Lo.

still has warranty
What EXACTLY does it cover? Most are useless. I will let Spike chime in here.

...owner has told me engine was replaced 30000 kms go as it had the gasket leak
I'm with Chris on this one...ask the owner to clarify because something does not seem kosher...did he mean he had a head gasket leak, didn't address it, all the coolant leaked out and he turned his engine into scrap metal for Reynolds?

but i have hear some frames go bad really quick on the land rovers
Who did you hear this from? Sure, salt can wreak havic on unprotected frames, but not any worse than any other vehicle. Get it rust-proofed as you do your other vehicle.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:00 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by mwindth
No; some models (SE7) came with air suspension standard. It was on option on other models. Some people convert to springs to alleviate problems with the air suspension (leaking bags, etc.).

but you physicly cant control the height right ? thats just for riding comfort ?

These trucks are full time 4-wheel drive with gears (NOT AWD)...was the seller moving very slowly forward (~5mph) with the trans in neutral moving the lever? It is much easier that way, but at a stand still with the truck in neutral, it can be a tough push to engage 4-Lo.

lol no he was trying to change them while in neutral on his driveway

What EXACTLY does it cover? Most are useless. I will let Spike chime in here.

well he said the engine block was new, covered under warranty due to the leak

I'm with Chris on this one...ask the owner to clarify because something does not seem kosher...did he mean he had a head gasket leak, didn't address it, all the coolant leaked out and he turned his engine into scrap metal for Reynolds?

i guess engine took some cooling and probably was replaced, i would have to read the service on it, if they wrote itdown correctly

Who did you hear this from? Sure, salt can wreak havic on unprotected frames, but not any worse than any other vehicle. Get it rust-proofed as you do your other vehicle.
yes i know i was just told to really watch out for that

Old 05-18-2011, 07:07 AM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vandev
These trucks have a habit of sucking you dry of cash for really stupid crap... Or you could drive for 60k without so much as a sniffle...
/this

Sometimes, you either cannot keep em out of the garage, or you cannot kill them with conventional weapons...

On the flip side you can do most if not all of the preventative maintenance yourself like most of us do. These trucks are just old simple V8s. It's not rocket science. The coolant system is the worst part (the achilles heel).

Don't be afraid to work on it yourself.

Welcome to the forums.

Last edited by sloan74; 05-18-2011 at 08:18 AM.

Quick Reply: 2004 discovery