Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 discovery

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 07:18 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII
ME!

I have the Volo FS1 on my truck and I WAS getting upwards of 19mpg with about 90% highway driving...I have since traded vehicles with my wife, added a lift, tires and roof rack and we are back down in the "normal" 12-15 mpg, but that is with 90% city driving daily, up and down a big hill, with several stop lights.
Damn, sorry, I should have remembered it was you ylo! Every time I see you and sloppy post something, it brings back memories of my years living in Puyallup. I truly do miss the hills and picture perfect views of Mt. Rainer (on sunny days of course); but the constant rain, I do NOT miss

IMO though ylo, with the way your disco looks with your new lift and tires, I think it was worth you sacrificing a few MPGs.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:37 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by redwhitekat
about the air compressor, i know how much these things waste alot more gas when their runing like when your having your ac on, probably will follow the steps on this site to remove it and install springs when i get mine, dont wanna get stuck somewhere if and when the air system fails, but wondering for those of you that have had this conversion done did you see a big increase in gas mileage ??? im assuming you would, but not sure how long or how often the air compressor runs ?????
The mileage of a V8 powered loaf of bread with its A/C on or off is so negligible you likely can't even measure it directly outside of a laboratory. Especially if you consider windows up and A/C on on the highway versus windows down (even worse aerodynamics. This effect is more evident in newer cars that aren't shaped like a brick and are the approximate weight of a small country).

As far as electrical accessories on or off making a difference......there's just no way. The parasitic drag of the alternator is an order of magnitude less than the A/C with the clutch engaged.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:59 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mwindth
Damn, sorry, I should have remembered it was you ylo! Every time I see you and sloppy post something, it brings back memories of my years living in Puyallup. I truly do miss the hills and picture perfect views of Mt. Rainer (on sunny days of course); but the constant rain, I do NOT miss

IMO though ylo, with the way your disco looks with your new lift and tires, I think it was worth you sacrificing a few MPGs.
LOL The sun is finally starting to come out, it has been a long and wet winter. You got out just in time.

Thanks man, yes very much worth it. Now I just look away from the numbers on the gas pump...

Old 05-25-2011, 11:52 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

who needs sun???

we got rovers. all we needs is a place to go

Old 05-25-2011, 12:03 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DarylJ
The mileage of a V8 powered loaf of bread with its A/C on or off is so negligible you likely can't even measure it directly outside of a laboratory. Especially if you consider windows up and A/C on on the highway versus windows down (even worse aerodynamics. This effect is more evident in newer cars that aren't shaped like a brick and are the approximate weight of a small country).

As far as electrical accessories on or off making a difference......there's just no way. The parasitic drag of the alternator is an order of magnitude less than the A/C with the clutch engaged.
I get worse on the highway with my windows down than with my a/c on. On the highway I average approx 16 with windows down and approx 18 with windows up & a/c on. Volo FS3 gas saver is also installed

Old 05-25-2011, 12:46 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 'BamaBoy
I get worse on the highway with my windows down than with my a/c on. On the highway I average approx 16 with windows down and approx 18 with windows up & a/c on. Volo FS3 gas saver is also installed
Yep, that's exactly what I was trying to say. That's pretty typical of most cars.