Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Discovery iPod Interface??

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 12:56 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: 2004 Discovery iPod Interface??

ORIGINAL: ucfmethod

just want pure clean audio. Any tips/tricks/advice is greatly appreciated.
Pure and clean audio from a MP3 player is a oxymoron. No such thing as good audio from a MP3 player.

Right now I'm rocking a $10 cassette adapter to my ipod. Which should sound great, but my tape deck needs to be cleaned or something. I only get sound out of the left speakers when I have the tape on..Switch to CD and the sound comes out of all the speakers. I'm guessing the heads in the tape deck need to be cleaned.

Yes your tape deck needs to be cleaned, you can also try turning the adaptor over and switching sides.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:19 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: 2004 Discovery iPod Interface??

Question- How do you get an ipod to adapt to a 03' HSE Disco that has the single CD for the head unit and the six pack under the seat?

Thanks-

Old 07-16-2010, 12:24 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
Pure and clean audio from a MP3 player is a oxymoron. No such thing as good audio from a MP3 player.

Right now I'm rocking a $10 cassette adapter to my ipod. Which should sound great, but my tape deck needs to be cleaned or something. I only get sound out of the left speakers when I have the tape on..Switch to CD and the sound comes out of all the speakers. I'm guessing the heads in the tape deck need to be cleaned.

Yes your tape deck needs to be cleaned, you can also try turning the adaptor over and switching sides.
I disagree with you:
Ogg and flac re-encoding on the fly to my mobile device is pretty damn "good audio" IMHO. I'd even argue 320kbps mp3 is "good audio" (I'm fully aware of what is stripped out by the encoding process during MP3 conversion and creation) AAC, MP4 etc...all arguable "good audio."
Yeah now that I think it through without a doubt my flac files on my server being on the fly re-encoded to my Droid sounds better than any setup I've had in the past 20 years. Maybe my ears aren't as bad *** as yours. Maybe you can hear dog frequencies. Who knows but there is indeed "good audio" from a digital audio device capable of playing MP3s.

-"You can walk by faith and not sight. As for me, I'm not walking off a cliff any time soon."

Last edited by j3tblk; 07-22-2010 at 02:25 AM.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:05 AM
4wd Low

I have tried numerous RF connections for iPod to head unit, including RDS versions and they are all rubbish. A physical link is the only way to go.

Old 07-17-2010, 07:10 AM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.roverville.us/
Get their mp3 jack installed.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:34 PM
Mudding

This is a cool, a 'no more wires' solution and you can keep your cd changer operating. A bit pricey though.

http://home.valornet.com/splacket/IPod%20MP3.htm

-aaron
2003 SE7 Have paid more in repairs than I bought the truck for - but I love my Disco!!

Old 02-06-2016, 10:01 AM

Did this work for you? I'm new to the forum, I have 2003 disco. Thanks!

Old 02-06-2016, 11:58 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 852 Likes on 620 Posts

Wow. Zombie thread.

There are, in my opinion, much better solutions today than anything discussed previously in this thread.

Check out the Bluetooth adapter for the DII from Grom Audio. It's an updated version of what I have and I'm very happy with mine. Several others on this forum are also happily using it.

If you don't want Bluetooth and prefer a wired connection some of the older ideas are probably still good.

Old 02-06-2016, 12:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Right. Resurecting an 8 year old thread asking if the bit of technology worked out, is interesting.

I have a hard wire to the back of my single cd head unit, and the sound is terrible. Probably due to the $3 Chinese cable I bought. I've also lost steering wheel controls for some reason.

I'm going to get an Alpine head unit, and Grom I think. I played with a Grom a while back, but it wasn't compatible with the unit I had.

Which head unit do you have?

Old 02-06-2016, 04:44 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 852 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by cappedup
I'm going to get an Alpine head unit, and Grom I think. I played with a Grom a while back, but it wasn't compatible with the unit I had.

Which head unit do you have?
Who? Me? My truck has the stock radio for a '99 DII. It was made by Alpine I think, although the speakers all say Harman Kardon. Don't know who made the amp under the driver's seat.

Quick Reply: 2004 Discovery iPod Interface??