Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 amigo solution or time to part out

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 08:17 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 3 amigo solution or time to part out

I really like my DII and would like to keep it but it has become a safety liability. The tires skid on wet and loose surfaces due to ABS not functioning properly while 3 amigos are on. Here is a description of the symptoms over the past 10,000 miles.

occasional 3 amigos for a while
consistent 3 amigos
pull code (electrical failure shuttle valve)
replace shuttle valve (purchased new valve from Atlantic British)
no amigos for a while (2000-3000 miles)
occasional 3 amigos
pull code (electrical failure shuttle valve)
occasional turning into consistent 3 amigos

I have an autel code reader but it will not clear the code. The 3 amigos come on randomly but sometimes they coincide with outside events like hitting a bump in the road or driving in rain.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

You have to do the wiring bypass that Josh has posted in the stickies.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:40 PM
TReK

I thought the wiring bypass was an alternative to replacing shuttle valve and replacing shuttle valve was a complete fix.

Edit: BTW, how do you like your LR3? I have been considering purchasing an '05.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator

Did you replace the valve or the switch? The valve assembly is over $700.

Shuttle valve switch: http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/SWO500030.cfm

Shuttle valve assembly: http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/SWO500040.cfm

I love the LR3. Only complaint I have is that some of the interior seems a little cheap. I blame ford.

Last edited by jafir; 10-06-2013 at 10:53 PM.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:29 PM
TReK

I replaced the switches. Aren't they the only thing that could be wrong with a trouble code of 'electrical failure - shuttle valve'?

LR3 question: How much maintenance can you do yourself without the need for expensive dealership equipment?

Old 10-06-2013, 11:59 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Read through this ABS shuttle valve code solution; brake fluid leaks that references replacing the valves and the seals. May not need the seals, but that can leak, but I did both. Note from this link of importance to you. "If intermittent through the modulator board, our kit (shuttle valve and seals) will not repair that aspect. The poor connection is generally a cracked solder-joint on the board in the solenoid block, and it must be located and repaired. Alternatively the whole block can be replaced [pricey] or circuit board bypassed. The next step referenced below is the bypass option and is the step you need to complete. Skip down to "Option B" in the link which is Step 37 to see wiring re-work that completes the job. You may also need the seals.

ABS Mod - LAND ROVER CLUB V.I.

Since I did the fix I have had no issues for a couple years now. I do now have my amigos back and having read the codes with an ABS Amigo, I have issues with a wheel sensor, but no electrical faults. So the valves, the seals and the bypass address all the issues that can occur, well maybe not all, but the ones I have seen discussed. My idea was to replace valves, seals, and do the bypass wiring all at the same time while I was doing the repair. After complete, I tested my old shuttle valves, and they were in fact still good, sending the signals as needed when I tested using a meter, so I kept my switches for a spare, but doubt I would put them back in, I would buy new.. This is basically a 60K mile recurring maintenance item per the FalconWorks pages as the seals are like other rubber type components and are in contact with brake fluid.

Replacing seals specifically is reviewed here:
http://www.landroverclubvi.com/abs-svs-seals.html The seals are rather pricey, but I am sure the price was determined not by their costs, but by their value to you the consumer versus the alternative price for new modulator.

Last edited by Rover_Hokie; 10-07-2013 at 12:29 AM.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by NiteTrain
I replaced the switches. Aren't they the only thing that could be wrong with a trouble code of 'electrical failure - shuttle valve'?
The board that the switches plug into is in the expensive valve assembly. You either have to do the bypass wiring, or replace that valve assembly to fix the problem.

Originally Posted by NiteTrain
LR3 question: How much maintenance can you do yourself without the need for expensive dealership equipment?
Just like a D2, most things can be done with a code reader and simple tools. But like a D2, certain things might require a more specialized code reader, so that you aren't guessing what is wrong.

Old 11-23-2013, 07:59 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the bypass wire option and have not had any problems with the 3 amigos since.

Old 11-23-2013, 08:00 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks you Josh for the detailed information.