Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 amigos + 1 = 4 amigos?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 06:23 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 amigos + 1 = 4 amigos?

Ok, so the whole 3 amigos thing has happened intermitently. ABS, BRAKE, TC lights would come on randomly. Turning off the truck, then restarting, the BRAKE and TC lights go away, then about 10 secs later the ABS light is gone. Not so much now....

Making an easy stop, I get 3 amigos plus the indicator for what looks like a hill descent warning. Basically an icon of Rover going down hill with an exclamation point. When restarting the truck all four lights stay on. Whats-a-goin'-on here?

Old 01-05-2010, 07:41 AM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Check your brake fluid reservoir and make sure you are topped off and the little plunger is moving freely. On the 3 amigos when they are intermittent it usually means there is a bad connection in your modulator which is a fairly easy fix.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:44 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

When did you last check your brake pads, when did you last do a full brake flush and do your brakes squeak, if they do, that is your problem.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:51 AM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
When did you last check your brake pads, when did you last do a full brake flush and do your brakes squeak, if they do, that is your problem.
Yup. Totally agree. The PO of my truck put on cheap pads that squeeled. Set off all those lights.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:46 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As others mentioned check the pads and brake fluid levels. That said the only way to be sure is to have the codes read which requires diagnostic computer only the LR service folks (dealer or independent shop) have.

We had the same problem - 4 Amigos and squealing brakes. We had the codes read which resulted in a 11.4 (shuttle valve electrical) and 8.4 (right front sensor). We had the RF sensor harness replaced, the ABS modulator bypass wire mod, and new pads installed and to date we are Amigo free! The bypass wire mod (use Option B) is detailed here:

http://www.landroverclubvi.com/abs-mod.html

Good luck.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:49 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by GoodJava
As others mentioned check the pads and brake fluid levels. That said the only way to be sure is to have the codes read which requires diagnostic computer only the LR service folks (dealer or independent shop) have.

We had the same problem - 4 Amigos and squealing brakes. We had the codes read which resulted in a 11.4 (shuttle valve electrical) and 8.4 (right front sensor). We had the RF sensor harness replaced, the ABS modulator bypass wire mod, and new pads installed and to date we are Amigo free! The bypass wire mod (use Option B) is detailed here:

http://www.landroverclubvi.com/abs-mod.html

Good luck.
Just to clarify, almost all the auto parts stores will read your ODB-II codes for free, you do not need to go to the Dealer. It does not require a special computer, just a standard ODBII reader which you can get anywhere.

Last edited by humroot; 01-05-2010 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:51 AM
TReK

You cannot read ABS codes with an ODBII scanner. Your choices are dealer, ABS Amigo, or Hawkeye scanner.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:13 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by lipadj46
You cannot read ABS codes with an ODBII scanner. Your choices are dealer, ABS Amigo, or Hawkeye scanner.
Right you are.

ABS codes cannot be read by a ODB-II scanner. There are, however, scanners that will read ABS and ODB-II codes that are not that expensive compared to several trips to the Dealer. I know my Dealer is $130 per hour minimum. 2 trips would more than pay for this:

Equus 3160 Innova ABS + Professional CanOBD2 Diagnostic Code Scanner for OBDII Vehicles

Available at Amazon for under $200.

Or this one for $113:

Actron CP9449 BrakeScan Anti Lock Brake System (ABS) Diagnostic Scan Tool

Last edited by humroot; 01-05-2010 at 12:17 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:17 PM
TReK

I don't think that reads land rover abs codes.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:26 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by lipadj46
I don't think that reads land rover abs codes.
They sure wont.

ABS Amigo it is, here is the link:

http://www.rswsolutions.com/index.ph...d=56&Itemid=55

I wonder if we can get another group buy going on this? I'd be interested in one of these too.

Quick Reply: 3 amigos + 1 = 4 amigos?