Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 Amigos only with headlights on ...

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 09:20 AM
Winching
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

hmmm the USA drivers side ( left ) side of discovery is the one that seems dimmer ! hmmm

Old 08-18-2015, 09:21 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by dparham
hmmm the USA drivers side ( left ) side of discovery is the one that seems dimmer ! hmmm
Haha! I mill around in the grass and find an acorn.

The following users liked this post:
dparham (08-18-2015)
Old 08-18-2015, 09:24 AM
Winching

hahaha now can that case the 4 amigos?? lol and now I need locate that wire! lol

Old 08-18-2015, 09:27 AM
Winching

Ill look tonight with a friend and see if I can determine exactly the lighting issue and check to definitive info o what is dim and what isn't however I do notice that drivers side being dimmer when high beams are on...!

Old 08-18-2015, 10:31 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by dparham
hahaha now can that case the 4 amigos?? lol and now I need locate that wire! lol
I HAVE NO IDEA HOW THAT COULD CAUSE THE PROBLEM! LOL

But the theory (not "my" theory... "the" theory... I have advised myself to create distance between me and my former theory) is that when you hit the brights the wire to the bright portion of your headlight is lacking insulation and touching metal and somehow overloading the WABCO ABS unit (or some part therein), which is located close by. I discount the ground as a source because I assume the normal and brights lights use the same ground. You could start at the back of the headlight (connector) and trace it. I think you can see most of it laying just under the front bumper then it will go up toward the hood.

I was driving down a REMOTE, two lane State highway one night at 75mph--no light and no moon, and my truck went DEAD. I mean DEAD... no lights, no brakes, no engine, no power steering, no warning, no nothing... After I basically wrecked to the side of the road in the bar ditch I found that the major wires on the passenger side, near the battery, were touching the block (having come free from whatever held them--they are now zip tied) and grounding. In that case, the unintended grounding was caused by heat melting the insulation after the wires came free... but it could happen from chafing. Our trucks aren't new, for sure.

Anyway, the point of this theory is this: to give your thread top or near top billing in "new posts" so someone who has a CLUE about electronics can step in my place and solve the problem.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 08-18-2015 at 10:53 AM.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:59 AM
Winching

mine too! haha I know some about electronics but just overwhelmed on this precarious issue and having someone who may have an insight saves me some time and grief! lol Time is my enemy just the massive amount of wires and a place to work on truck.. usually I have to schedule it to use a space because at my condo we try to limit mechanic work but we do allow but my schedule on top of that makes it rare lol Im now consolidating all my projects so i can do them all in that limited time lol lets see.... sell some parts including a set of 18" hurricanes with tires, change drag link and associated bushings and anti sway links, change ALL fluids again ( its time ) change brake pads and rotors, maybe 1 O2 sensor, fix this 4 amigos lol, fix clear coat on hood and roof ( totally coming off ) tint windows to deal better with florida summers, change wiper reservoir fluid pump(s) , possibly change shocks n springs however they measure good heights so may still be ok..., do upper induction cleaning... ofter that it should run like new! haha

Old 10-10-2015, 04:50 PM
Winching

well Ive noticed something else that may be of some significants in helping me figure out this odd problem... I noticed when I turn on my headlights.. I can hear the shifters unlock... that little switch at base of shifter housing that allows you to shift out of park... does anyone else actuate and release shifter when headlights turned on?

Old 11-06-2015, 04:34 PM
Winching

[UPDATE] no fix but I did notice that when one headlight went out I bought new bulbs and realized the bulbs on one side were different than on right side... lol then noticed the other brights inside there are different also... maybe this causing an issue... now I need to know what is the right part number for the smaller secondary headlight bulbs... Ill have to check!im wondering if that could trip 3 amigos when I turn on headlights ... hmmm

Last edited by dparham; 11-06-2015 at 06:28 PM.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:00 AM
Winching

Hmm well update lol im on my second battery as of last week... I got stranded temporarily at home depot when battery just failed... It was 4 years old... About 6 months into owning my disco my first battery that came with truck failed... This time I bought an OPTIMO RED and what do you know!! ALL 3 AMIGOS LIGHTS GONE! For a week already no codes!! Not even the O2 sensor codes! Maybe the autozone battery they sold me was a lemon!

Old 12-09-2015, 11:24 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Wow. good to hear you got this resolved.

Unfortunately, the days of batteries lasting 10 years are long over. And yes, i have pulled batteries out of cars that were 10 years old and finally failed.

Quick Reply: 3 Amigos only with headlights on ...