Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 Amigos only with headlights on ...

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by dparham
well Ive noticed something else that may be of some significants in helping me figure out this odd problem... I noticed when I turn on my headlights.. I can hear the shifters unlock... that little switch at base of shifter housing that allows you to shift out of park... does anyone else actuate and release shifter when headlights turned on?
[UPDATE] no fix but I did notice that when one headlight went out I bought new bulbs and realized the bulbs on one side were different than on right side... lol then noticed the other brights inside there are different also... maybe this causing an issue... now I need to know what is the right part number for the smaller secondary headlight bulbs... Ill have to check!im wondering if that could trip 3 amigos when I turn on headlights ... hmmm
Sounds like something is feeding back from the running light circuit into the brake light circuit. A buddy of mine had this on his wife's Honda Pilot.... the cruise control wouldn't work when the headlights were on. Went out back and started looking at all of the bulbs and we saw one of the dual filament bulbs had failed in such a way that the filaments were touching each other. When the headlights were turned on, the power was diverted into the brake light circuit and the system thought you were pressing on the brake pedal and kill the cruise control. I'd look for corroded sockets and bulbs, and maybe even mismatched bulbs. I've seen on another Honda where someone crammed a dual filament bulb into a single filament socket.... every time you'd used the turned signals it would feed power into ground and the radio would turn off and on with each flash of the signals.

Old 12-10-2015, 02:12 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Wow! Just dipped back into this thread and holy cow that's a forensic analysis. I didn't even know that the filaments could do that.

Old 03-24-2016, 03:31 PM
Winching
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

[UPDATE] 3 months and no return of the 3 amigos!!! must have been something with battery!?

Old 03-24-2016, 04:25 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

[UPDATE] 3 months and no return of the 3 amigos!!! must have been something with battery!?
Thanks for following up. When the thread popped up I thought "holy cow I've heard of that problem before!" But it was you. Congratulations on solving it.

Old 03-24-2016, 05:00 PM
Winching
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

haha yeah RPITA! has been plaguing me for 4 years lol I checked all the grounds but nothing was out of sorts... added dielectric grease to all connectors I could find... and in the end much have been 2 bad batteries in a row but this new OPTIMO Red is working great!

Old 03-24-2016, 07:05 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

haha yeah RPITA! has been plaguing me for 4 years lol I checked all the grounds but nothing was out of sorts... added dielectric grease to all connectors I could find... and in the end much have been 2 bad batteries in a row but this new OPTIMO Red is working great!
I've gotta admit DP that's a first in my experience of problems, it's unique

I am certainly not into auto electrics but those problems seem exceptional. Good you've sorted it though.