Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 inch lift help

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2019, 11:38 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 3 inch lift help

I am going to put a Terrafirma 3 inch lift. Do I need to put a new driveshaft with that and new brake lines? What ill the best driveshaft to use? I heard GBR is good. Thank you

Old 12-30-2019, 12:28 PM
Mudding
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I heard GBR drive shafts are good. You should install install new brake lines with the lift. I also ended up using Rovers North driveshaft spacers to help out with less stress on the driveline. You should also consider front & rear radius and trailing arms to correct the steering and castor. I installed RTE's 4.5in lift.

Old 01-02-2020, 01:58 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you. I think I'm going to go with the 2 inch HD lift

Old 01-02-2020, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

I’m running 3inch lifts on 3 D2’s with stock drive shafts. Little bit of vibration at 75-80MPH, but vs other 4x4’s I’ve owned it’s barely noticeable with an aggressive set of M/T’s.

Extended Brake Lines, extending rear ABS sensor wires, and removing the front support under the front drive shaft is a must on a 3inch lift.

Old 01-02-2020, 03:22 PM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

I've been running a 3" lift for years on a fully stock d2. You don't need extended brake lines or abs sensors, but it certainly won't hurt anything. Anything over 3"and you will, but not necessary for 3". Until you caster correct, 3°, it'll wander a bit and not return to center as quickly, but I lived with it for a long time with no issues. When I gave it to my 16 yo a few years ago, I got caster corrected arms and it made a big difference.

Old 01-02-2020, 03:29 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 820 Likes on 538 Posts

at a minimum if not replacing brake lines I would unhook them from the tab that holds them to give you a little more slack. Same goes for the ABS lines.

The following users liked this post:
coors (01-04-2020)
Old 01-02-2020, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

At full flex I guarantee the rear brake lines will have issues as well as the very fragile rear ABS sensor connectors. At full flex in the front the drive shaft will slam into that frame support as well.

If you don’t disconnect your sway bars or run 2inch shocks then it’ll be close. However with that said the absolute last place you wanna find out is way out in the middle of nowhere out on the trail. 50MM extended brake lines are cheap, and extending the rear ABS lines is also super easy and cheap. Removal of the front support = Free.

The following users liked this post:
whowa004 (01-03-2020)
Old 01-02-2020, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,589 Likes on 1,305 Posts

Not to mention if those hoses are original extended lines would be a few bucks more for piece of mind maintenance

Old 01-02-2020, 08:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 159 Likes on 112 Posts

I have 3” RTE coils didn’t do anything to brake lines or ABS sensors and I’ve never had a problem. You’ll regret that 2” lift. Go with 3”, so many more options for bumpers, tire size etc. you will not regret it.

Old 01-02-2020, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator

Whatever you do I highly suggest flexing it out fully to inspect everything. I guarantee you even with a 2inch lift though the front drive shaft will rest on the frame support up on a lift. They sell spacers to drop it, but it just creates a low spot to get hung up on rocks/terrain. I do mainly rocky trails with ledges and all my LR’s flex a lot.

Last year my goal was to fix up a 97 D1 XD and to take it to the 2019 HCRR Event at hidden falls. I got everything done, but the Pro Comps I ordered came in 1inch longer vs what I needed. It was down to the wire so I slapped em on & drove out to Austin. Before driving out to Marble Falls I put it up on the lift and my rear brake lines were completely pinched off at full flex. I had new 50MM extended lines so I fixed that, however the first day out on the trails exposed my weak spot. I was running without sway bars, 1inch longer shocks for the 2inch lift I put on, and whenever I dropped one tire down & compressed the other side my coils would fall out....

It made wheeling a PITA!!!! I tried cheating and using several hose clamps to keep them in place, but they were cheap and would eventually break & I’d be stuck dragging a coil on a tire until I could get to spot to pop it back in!!

I have that fixed now with a set of relocation cones, but it made for a crappy time out on the trail & I couldn’t do the trails I wanted to!!!

Quick Reply: 3 inch lift help