Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3" Terrafirma Lift install problem/question

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 07:35 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3" Terrafirma Lift install problem/question

So I installed a Terrafirma 3" Lift on my '04 D2 that I picked up from Properspec (Amazon)...
When i opened the box that was marked "front", it had these parts included that I marked in red....I have NO idea where these 2 things go!?
Can anyone enlighten me?
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 12-06-2015, 07:56 PM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Weeeell, I can tell you that the metal part is a spring seat. That bolts to the axle for the bottom of the spring to sit upon. However, that doesn't look compatible with the front shocks on the D2. Looks more like a rear spring seat, if I recall correctly. Perhaps that's a spring seat to convert from the optional rear air bag suspension some vehicles are equipped with.

The rubber-coated ring is a spring isolator which generally goes between the top of the spring and the chassis. Your stock springs should have them installed as well and I've heard that these can even be stacked a couple/few deep in order to level the vehicle if need-be.

Hope that helps. I'm sure someone more experienced will chime in to confirm.

Best of luck.

-Gavin

The following users liked this post:
talltodd (12-06-2015)
Old 12-06-2015, 08:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

The bit on the left is definitely the spring seat for the rears. As pointed out above. And bolts to the axle.

When I fitted my 2" lift (same parts) my old ones were in great shape and it was starting to rain, so I left them in place, and finished up quicker.

I'm trying to remember if I used the other bits on the right. But my memory is failing me. They definitely came in the kit.

Does that make sense with what you are looking at?

Old 12-06-2015, 08:32 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cappedup
The bit on the left is definitely the spring seat for the rears. As pointed out above. And bolts to the axle.

When I fitted my 2" lift (same parts) my old ones were in great shape and it was starting to rain, so I left them in place, and finished up quicker.

I'm trying to remember if I used the other bits on the right. But my memory is failing me. They definitely came in the kit.

Does that make sense with what you are looking at?
It does. Thanks!

Old 12-06-2015, 09:23 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Could it be the new rear spring seats are the D1 version which are shallower and provide about a 1/2" more lift? Many D2 guys run the D1 lower perches to level the truck out.

Old 12-06-2015, 09:41 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

The kit I got from Lucky8 was exactly the same (but in a 2" version). The arrowed items are pieces used from converting air suspension to springs. I used the rubbers as mine were a bit weird looking, but left my old seats on.

talltodd (12-06-2015)
Old 12-06-2015, 10:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

The part on the right looks like the spring isolator. The metal ones on the left are for the rear spring perch.

Old 12-07-2015, 03:12 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

The ones on the right are without a doubt the rear isolators. They go on top of the rear springs and help keep noise to a minimum. They're not 100% necessary to install, but you might as well if you have them.

The ones on the left are the bottom plates for the front springs—not the rears, as someone said above. The holes in them are clearly for the bolts that go through the bottom of the front shocks. The rear springs are completely separate from the shocks.

Compare all these things to the stock parts when you do the swap.

Old 12-07-2015, 06:06 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

im going to have to agree with fish

Old 12-07-2015, 07:23 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by lordmorpheus
The kit I got from Lucky8 was exactly the same (but in a 2" version). The arrowed items are pieces used from converting air suspension to springs. I used the rubbers as mine were a bit weird looking, but left my old seats on.
That's because the OP also bought it from Lucky8, just under their other name.

Metal plates and hardware are included because technically it's an air-to-coil conversion, as well as a lift. The isolators go on top of the rear springs.

Originally Posted by batard
T
The ones on the left are the bottom plates for the front springs—not the rears, as someone said above. The holes in them are clearly for the bolts that go through the bottom of the front shocks. The rear springs are completely separate from the shocks.
Those are for the rear. They just also work on a D1/d90 front axle. They are included because rear air suspension doesn't have them. Front D2 lower spring seats have a square hole, not round. The round would not work.

Last edited by ZGPhoto; 12-07-2015 at 07:26 AM.
drowssap (12-07-2015)

Quick Reply: 3" Terrafirma Lift install problem/question