Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3D Printable Parts Collection

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2022, 01:05 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 120 Likes on 70 Posts

I have a fresh cowl piece in the SFbay area if anyone is able to 3d scan it. I saw there might be a way to DIY scan using my phone's IR scanner but tracking on larger pieces can be a PITA. If anyone has a hobbiest grade scanner, i can meet up and pull the cowl for a good scan.

Old 03-30-2022, 02:25 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,178 Likes on 815 Posts

@Betty_White Getting the scans will be the hardest thing

Old 03-30-2022, 03:10 PM
Mudding
Received 120 Likes on 66 Posts

I got a response and quote back from a scanner company locally, they are saying an STL file is the way to go, and that for a part the size of the cowl, they'd want $300 +tax for what they call a "watertight" STL file. Normally I would just buy a tool and do it myself, but a good scanner can be a few thousand. I hear these kind of scans are past the abilities of an iphone or android at this point.
So, we know ballpark-ish what it'll cost to move forward, at least to get the info. I do have good parts available for scanning, although I'm sure I'm not the only one. Anybody wanna get a "pool" going to help fund this lil project?

Old 03-31-2022, 01:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Mntnceguy
I got a response and quote back from a scanner company locally, they are saying an STL file is the way to go, and that for a part the size of the cowl, they'd want $300 +tax for what they call a "watertight" STL file. Normally I would just buy a tool and do it myself, but a good scanner can be a few thousand. I hear these kind of scans are past the abilities of an iphone or android at this point.
So, we know ballpark-ish what it'll cost to move forward, at least to get the info. I do have good parts available for scanning, although I'm sure I'm not the only one. Anybody wanna get a "pool" going to help fund this lil project?

https://creality3d.shop/products/creality3d-cr-scan-lizard-3d-scanner
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/creality-cr-scan-lizard-an-excellent-3d-scanner#/

Old 03-31-2022, 01:37 PM
Mudding
Received 120 Likes on 66 Posts

Pardon my confusion, but I'm not sure how Kickstarter projects that don't exist, or are unavailable are meant to help? Doesn't even list prospective prices or specs...

Last edited by Mntnceguy; 03-31-2022 at 01:46 PM.
Old 03-31-2022, 01:50 PM
Camel Trophy

That scanner would not work for the large parts, you need to go the commercial route "watertight" STl is best but where are you going to get a printer that can do a 3-6 foot long prints ?

The following users liked this post:
Mntnceguy (03-31-2022)
Old 04-05-2022, 04:42 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone having trouble printing the rain gutter corner pieces. Printing starts fine but after the 24% mark it starts going south? Using ABS with a Prusa MK3.

See

SadaJones (05-02-2022)
Old 04-05-2022, 05:02 PM
Camel Trophy

I could get prints with PETG, but I was not happy with any of them they were not great.

Ended printing in resin, there is more post work in uv sealer, paint, then UV seal but the prints were pretty much perfect other than supports.

I used an Ender 3 I had a few issues a the top but otherwise is was ok, I found the inside support to weak and the top gutter catch generally failed. I did get the issues in image 1 & 2 with layers sorted out, but the print time was 6 hours.

Old 04-05-2022, 07:20 PM
Overlanding
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

To keep things short and to the point, I have a scanner setup and a larger 3d print unit as well as access to a metal 3d print unit. I'll post progress pics as I get to it.

A little research can go a long way to make your own 3d scan setup for less than a couple of hundred bucks or even cheaper if you have parts already. Same for making a larger 3d printer using a cheap small unit and making it larger. Same thing we used to do 20 years ago with homebuilt cnc machines.

SadaJones (05-02-2022)
Old 05-02-2022, 04:54 PM
Overlanding
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I hate to double post but.....
I've been dealing with some legal issues with the ex wife so been a little tide up. I have however been working on the c pillars. The 3d models are coming together with measurements and test fitting of my vehicle and no c pillar covers to work from. They may not match originals and the factory wiper cowl. I should have a left side test price completed by the end of the week. I played with weathering painted materials, plastic variations, aluminium, steel, stainless steel, and couple of fiber based materials. Steel and stainless seem to hold up much better in the weathering machine both painted and plain.

In short I'll be opting for steel and/or stainless versions. Curvatures we're a little difficult to calculate so again not going to be original design. Any input would be great as far as key points to note in the designed fit. Should clip right in just like the original either way.

The following 2 users liked this post by Betty_White:
acg (05-02-2022), Mntnceguy (05-02-2022)

Quick Reply: 3D Printable Parts Collection