Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3M Rubberized Headliner

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 08:55 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3M Rubberized Headliner

I decided to do something about my saggy headliner in my Disco II last weekend. Being cheap and mildly resourceful, I took the old headliner out and stripped it of the cloth and foam backing (using a vacuum plus an attachment). Once it was stripped bare, I spray two coats of 3M Rubberized Undercoat over the entire headliner. Here is how it turned out:

It turned out well for the most part. My advice to anyone attempting this would be to let the first coat dry for at least 30-45 minutes before applying the second coat. I only waited 10 minutes and sprayed the second coat on too thick. In some places it beaded up and looking a little rough. Overall I like it. The smell gets to you if you leave the window closed. Complete drying and the smell going away takes about a week.

Cheers,

Pete

[IMG]local://upfiles/10333/2AD78EA05CE44C76B00094C26A12494C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-20-2008, 09:02 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: 3M Rubberized Headliner

A little dark for me, but I'm glad you like it.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:13 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow looks great! I never thought of that method. My headliner is getting worse and worse so I may be looking into something like this soon. Does the 3M material come in any other colors or just black? And about how much does it cost?

Old 08-20-2008, 10:31 PM
Rock Crawling

I bought 5 cans for $40.00. Black is the only color I saw available. You could purchase Herculiner in other colors and roll it on.

Cheers,

Pete

Old 08-20-2008, 10:52 PM
Drifting

ohh i might try this. my headliner is saggy too lol.
it sounds like a common thing. well, my car is 12 years old though lol.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:45 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any reason you went with an Undercoat/suggested Herculiner? Wouldn't paint give you the same result?

Or would paint only stick if you really stripped the adhesive off?

Old 08-21-2008, 05:33 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will also be doing headliner repair. I like the color contrast between the black and tan. Have it dried completely yet? Is the odor completely gone? How does it smell when parked in the sun for serveral hours?

Old 08-21-2008, 08:44 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: WolfPack

Any reason you went with an Undercoat/suggested Herculiner? Wouldn't paint give you the same result?

Or would paint only stick if you really stripped the adhesive off?
I'm guessing that paint would involve a lot more prep work since it would show every imperfection in the metal. I've used undercoating on my cobbled together motorcycle fairings before and it smooths everything over nicely because it's nice and thick (but heavy). I bet that it will also dampen the wind noise on the roof pretty well too.

Old 08-21-2008, 02:26 PM
Rock Crawling

I left the windows cracked slightly to aid airflow. It has almost completely dried after about 72 hours. Some thick spots are still a little sticky. The smell is mostly gone.

The headliner backboard is made of foam sandwiched with a thin fiberglass layer. It bends very easily so be careful handling it. I used silicon adhesive to reinstall a few plastic bits I broke being impatient.

Without the headliner it is very noisy inside. With the sprayed headliner it is very quiet. The black also absorbs more light, adding a little ambiance (so to speak).

Cheers,

Pete

Old 08-22-2008, 10:31 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The smell was what steered me away. I used the coating in a Ford truck I had once, and the asphalt smell never went away. Let us know how it dissapates over time.

I know what you mean about the color. When I got mine, it was bare. No backer, nothing. I drove it like that for over a year. I would get ice on the roof inside when driving in the winter... I finally got a backer and re-lined it myself. Really easy and less than $100. I had never done one before, and found there are a few tricks, but it looks good..... Black contrast is great...

Quick Reply: 3M Rubberized Headliner