Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.6 engine ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 07:53 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.6 engine ?'s

Hi everyone. I just bought a 2003 Land Rover Disco. I had a 97 disco that had run it's time and decided to upgrade. I got the car with 80,000 miles on but just got it back from my local repair shop. Got a few of the basics to fix, nothing to big of a deal, EXCEPT--the engine. When I bought it, it appeared to be fine then a small knock sound began the the bottom of the motor. Talking this over with my mechanic he was telling me it's not worth going into the motor because of labor $$$ just to see, he says the motors is bad. Drive it for now.... I trust my mechanic also, have for a while know, we have a good relationship. He gave me the option of finding a motor myself and even told me that I might have some better options if I went on BMW boards/engine rebuilds for the 4.6 motor as they might be offered less expensive and didn't take much to covert them? Wouldn't mind being enlightened on that so when I talk to him I don't sound/feel like an idiot. ;-) Obviously I'm at the beginning stages of getting all my information. Curious if you guys have any leads, info or suggestions. Thanks in advance

-Brian

Old 01-21-2014, 09:17 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

I don't think your going to find anything on BMW replacement as they were never installed in discos only range rovers.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:29 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Cannibal V8 and/or GPR for Tophat lined rebuilds.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:45 AM
Three Wheeling

Thanks guys for the replies. drowssap, yes you are correct but he told me that many bmw shops rebuild these an thus that might be were the discount is, for some reason (?) Thanks for the info Yoops, already checking out those options. Really appreciate it , thanks again.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:06 AM
Three Wheeling

another question for you guys. Just got off the phone with a guy I'm considering buy an rebuilt from, explained my issue to him. A knocking sound coming from the engine. He said very often what happens/is the problem is that the guide rails in the timing cover could be broke. Being it only 'knocks' when i'm at slow idle an not riding at 60mph, this does make some sense, correct? he also said that if it wasn't that it could be the 'vono' ( i know i spelled this wrong, best way I could get it from him w/o sounding like an idiot) unit which wouldn't rate a new pulled engine an tops would be 2'g from a mechanic. lmk what you think if you have any info, thanks in advance.

-Brian

Old 01-21-2014, 11:22 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Why would you replace an engine just because of a little knock?

Old 01-21-2014, 11:36 AM
Three Wheeling

because when problems arise I like to fix them? Why would I let a knocking sound coming from my engine go unattended? I personally don't like driving around in cars that have 'knocks' come from the engine, call me crazy.....

Old 01-21-2014, 11:46 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

yes the oil pump outer ring is known to break and it can cause a tick/knock, but so can a lot of things.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:32 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by thegoat
Thanks guys for the replies. drowssap, yes you are correct but he told me that many bmw shops rebuild these an thus that might be were the discount is, for some reason (?) Thanks for the info Yoops, already checking out those options. Really appreciate it , thanks again.

here is another option
Land Rover Engines: Short Block Engines For Land Rovers And Range Rovers

Old 01-21-2014, 03:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Could be bad oil pump, bad lifter(s), exhaust leak, slipped sleeve, etc. You should rule out as many of these as possible before you buy a new engine. I personally have a GPR block (which I highly recommend), but I made sure the problem was one I knew I couldn't live with and couldn't be fixed to my satisfaction. You don't want to drop $6K just to find out the culprit was a $9 exhaust gasket.

Quick Reply: 4.6 engine ?'s