Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4 Questions from Newbie and Disco Shopper

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 08:51 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 Questions from Newbie and Disco Shopper

1 - Seriously...how could the handle "Disco_Stu" still be availablewhen theforum dedicated to Discoverieshas thousands of threads...

2 - Currently shopping for a Disco...are there any particularly outstanding or disappointing model years to seek out or avoid? Any key features or improvements that make one model year a giant leap better than the rest? Right now weare looking at anything from private party 2001 models to '04 CPOs... Longevity and maintenace costs are our principal concerns...we'll need to do some light towing (atvs, waverunners, etc.) but the aforementionedatvs will likely see more off road action than the Disco will. About to move to the city of San Francisco, so will see a fair amount of hills, stop and go, etc. during the week...

3 - One of the private party vehicles we are looking at is an '01 SE with 50k miles... It is not currently registered in CA, and I am just a touch concerned about CA emissions testing...has anyone had trouble passing CA emissions tests with Discos of similar vintage?

4 -General thoughtson theCPO program? I noticed that you need to have service performed at LR dealers and I'm not terribly keen on $100 oil changes... Is there a deductible for warranty repairs? Seeing HUGE price differences between private party sales and CPO models...spreads much bigger than the cost of a 3rd party warranty...I see from many of the posts here that Disco experiences are love-hate...for everyone bragging about turning over 200,000 miles there are 2 others talking about the 3 amigos, electrical system and driveline problems... Is 16 months of CPO coverage likely to be worth $6,000onan '03 Disco?

Thank you very much in advance for any assistance you are able to offer...

Old 12-18-2007, 10:52 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: 4 Questions from Newbie and Disco Shopper

1- Land Rover doesn't sell to people named Stu. Read the contract, it's in the fine print.
Might have to get your wife to sign for it...

2,3,&4- 99 to early 01 - lockable transfer case through modifications. Late 01 to 02 - still have the 4.0, only you can't lock the transfer case unless you change it out. 03 - still no transfer case locking, but an upgraded 4.6. Downside is the early models had problems losing oil pumps. 2004- Best of everything. Locking T-case standard and the HP of the 4.6. Get an 04 with an extended warranty. If you get an 03 and the motor goes, there's your $6000. Look for major leaks and grease zerks on the double cardan in the front driveshaft.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:44 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 4 Questions from Newbie and Disco Shopper

I have a '95 and an '01 Disco. I bought the '01 for towing a (2200lb) pop up when loaded. I live in Idaho and we do have mountains to climb at least to my favorite camping spots. I have not had any problems towing. I have actually been to areas where I ripped off jacks (off the trailer) and almost lost my step to the trailer, but nothing affected the Disco. It is a very stable to tow with, however I would not tow more than 75% of the recommended towing capacity of the rig. I have had only the one frustrating issue, (3 Amigos) and I'm getting over it. Be very diligent on the maintenance, to me it is not that much more than any other vehicle, but certainly use premium gas. I rolled the dice to not purchase the extended warranty, maybe I should have, however I can do a lot of the repairs myself, and if you can, it will save you on some costs.