Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

60k SERVICE ON A 03 SE DISCO

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 09:42 AM
dgm
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 60k SERVICE ON A 03 SE DISCO

It's been recommended to me that I use Mobil 1 oil. I've heard 10-40, 20-50. Which one would suit me better. It's a daily driver in SC. Also in ref. to the oil filter Mobil or K&N?For the spark plugs I understand platinum are required, which brand? I installed a K&N drop inair filter the other week. I broke one of the latches of the air box just before it meets the air flow sensor, I think. I've got it duck taped now.It look terrible, but works for now.Can I purchase just the top of an air box, or do I have to bite the buttet and replace the whole thing. If so where would I find one that won't break thebank?

Old 10-11-2008, 10:35 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: 60k SERVICE ON A 03 SE DISCO

First things first, you have already made a mistake, go out and remove that K&N air filter TODAY and replace with a factory air filter. K&N filters will kill Bosch MAF sensor and you will be out a coulpe hundred dollars real fast. Which clip, on the air filter box have you broken, this may cause you to throw a fault code, so it is important?
With 03's having engine failures, did you contact Rover to see if your trucks vinn is on that list of possible trouble??
What state do you liove in and how cold does it get in the winter, this will determine what weight oil to use.
Do you have the owners manual, if so read it all this weekend, if not get one so you will have a better ideal what to look at with your truck.
How many miles is on the truck and was the 60K service done?
Here is a complete list that should be followed to the tee in order to assure you everything is up and current. If you are at all mechanical, I can walk you thru the service easily.

https://landroverforums.com/m_79924/tm.htm

Old 10-11-2008, 12:38 PM
dgm
Drifting

Just called the delaership. No open recalls on my VIN. I live in hot and sweaty Charleston, SC. The clip I broke was one of the two closest to the MAF. I've driven it since it broke (duct tape job) no fault codes. No 60K service was performed. It currently has 61.5K. Our guy (previous LR Tech.) will be doing it either tomorrow or Monday. What's up with the K&N filter, too much air moving through?

Old 10-11-2008, 12:51 PM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mobil One 10w40 or 10w30 ,,,,10w40 is what it said in my manual.

Old 10-11-2008, 01:45 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: dgm

Just called the delaership. No open recalls on my VIN. I live in hot and sweaty Charleston, SC. The clip I broke was one of the two closest to the MAF. I've driven it since it broke (duct tape job) no fault codes. No 60K service was performed. It currently has 61.5K. Our guy (previous LR Tech.) will be doing it either tomorrow or Monday. What's up with the K&N filter, too much air moving through?
When you called the dealer, did you ask them about the oil failure problem and the vinns that are effected? This is not a recall, it is repaired at the owners expense, usually an engine is what is needed.
As for the K%N air filter, oil from it kills the MAF. You do need to write that one of or it will turn around and bite you.
Also, don't use Fram oil filter, they will cause your engine to do dry starts. Inspect your front drive shaft, make sure it has been rebuilt, replacing the 2 u-joints in the double cardo with new joints with grease fittings. If it fails, and most do, it will take out your tranny and sometimes the t/case.

Old 10-11-2008, 03:41 PM
Mudding

Speaking of the 60K check up, I just drained my coolant by disconnecting the thermostat housing and letting it drain out and then refilled. How important is it to drain the block? (I did not)
DiscoMike, I thought I remembered reading that was all you did, pls correct me if I misunderstood.

I also cleaned out the IAC stepper motor as I was experiencing rough idle on start up. 10 minutes, and a huge difference.

Thanks for the pictures Switzer posted to make identificationeasier. (https://landroverforums.com/m_78811/tm.htm)

Old 10-11-2008, 04:42 PM
Administrator

You need to make sure you bleed the air out of the coolant system or you will over heat your engine.
Your truck has an idle solenoid, is that what you cleaned, it is located on that large c shaped 1" soft black rubber hoe that bi=passes the t/body?
If so, how did you do it and did you clean the t/body also?

Old 10-11-2008, 05:23 PM
Mudding

I bled out the system when I filled it back up.... turned it on and ran it til it got up to temp, then I bled it again just to check (didn't get any air out the second time). Should I do it again and drain the block this time?

Yes, that idle solenoid that you decribe that bypasses the throttle body is the one that I cleaned. I took it off, removed all the 'C' hoses, etc., sprayed it out with throttle and carb cleaner until it was clean, and the fluid that drained out of it was clean too. Is that what you recommend?

Old 10-11-2008, 07:32 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

04-by only draining the coolant from the top of the engine you did nothing but waste your time.
You need to remove the lower radiator hose from the radiator to drain the cooling system.

dgm-Because of where you live you can use 10w-40, 15w-50 or 20w-50. Mobil 1 doesnt come in a 20w-50 but it does come in a 15w-50, that is what I use. You can get it at Wal-Mart along with a Mopar (Purolator) oil filter. You can also drop off your used oil there.
You will have to replace the whole airbox, others have done this same thing and no luck finding just the top.
www.roverlandparts.com for a used one, www.atlanticbritish.com for a new one.

Old 10-11-2008, 07:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what about junk yard for the top of the air box?

Quick Reply: 60k SERVICE ON A 03 SE DISCO