Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

75 miles on my new Disco!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 11:48 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 75 miles on my new Disco!

New Land Rover owner and new poster. I purchased a 2002 Disco SE with 55k today for a shade under $10k. Got what I think was a good deal. Excellent shape as the eye catches it. Seems fine in general. Previous owner probably did more mall runs than Dakar trips.

On the way home we hit some dirt...as it should be. As I gave a run down to check things out, I came across a few questions:

The Hill Descent Control button didn't do much other than beep a bit as I gained what I thought was accumulating speed as I neared the end of a very steep hill. What's the trick with that feature and what should I expect to experience? Do I need to select a certain gear or is it intended to be push button easy?

Yes, the manuals are missing. Have them on the way. I would also pose a question about my squeeky brakes. I get the impression the brakes on Discos leave a tad to be desired. Any ideas there?

Lastly, the shifter sure is fickle. I have to tickle the shifter button just so to get the lever to move. Normal? Easy fix?

In general, what pitfalls should I be aware of?

By the way - Great forum. Thanks for reading and I hope my rookie questions aren't too annoying to you pros.

Old 10-15-2006, 11:29 AM
4wd High
Default RE: 75 miles on my new Disco!

With Regard to disc brakes, usually if you take out the pads and wash them off with brake cleaner then apply a liberal amount anti squeal gel to the back sides they will stop squealing. The other possibility (esp that mileage) is you need new pads. Pads have a squealer tab built into them to inform you of a thinning pad. They are designed to squeal before failiure. Use the gel on new pads also.

rd

Old 10-15-2006, 11:33 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

H/D only works while in low range and the rate of braking force is determined by the gear you have the tranny in.
As for the shifter, yes need to use the button.
As for the brakes, someone probably put on a set of cheap aftermarket pads and you are going to have problems with them cause they will trip your brake warning lights at some point and start costing you money. Need to check the brakes, see how much material is left and consider changing them out for a good set.
You are also past do, if it has not been done, on the 60K service, may want to see if that has been done also cause it is an important one.
If you have any questions, get back to me.
Mike

Old 10-15-2006, 12:05 PM
Mudding

Thanks fellas,

We have a local Brit car genius here in town so I'll swing by there this week to check out brakes. I see lots of guys running Brembo bits. I have four Ducati motorcycles all using Brembos, but that doesn't mean my Disco should. If it comes down to buying new rotors and pads, is there a preferred brand to seek out?

The shifter thing still ticks me off. Naturally, I depress the button, but it requires just the right presure...not too little or too much. I'll consider that cheap anti-theft for now.

Okay...one more: Aside from paying an arm and a leg at the local Scottsdale megaplex Rover dealer, where can I go to find a large selection of parts and accessories. I own a bicycle shop and hate mail order, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Any good e-stores you recommend?

By the way, I've owned half a dozen Jeeps in my day. I'm still vexed by the idea this stock Discovery SE with 18" wheels can do much off road. Not a lot of clearance as I see it. I guess we'll find out.

Thanks again.

Old 10-15-2006, 12:29 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

You will need to make those 18"ers go away, espwcially living in Arizona, you'll tear the side walls out of them. Fins a good set of 16" factory wheels and sell the 18's.
You may be right on your shift button, you have to use it but shouldn't have to fish around for the right pressure.
So here are some web sites for you, don't blame me if you blow your credit cards on some of these.

http://www.expeditionexchange.com/
http://www.rovertym.com/
http://www.northwestparts.com/
http://www.roverconnection.com/
Also Atlantic British.com
Hope this helps.
Mike

Old 10-16-2006, 03:53 AM
Mudding

Notice that those differentials are both off to one side. There's an extra 3" clearance under the driver's side!