Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94" V8i on LPG 140K Auto.. some problems! Need Help, New to LR's

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 09:19 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94" V8i on LPG 140K Auto.. some problems! Need Help, New to LR's

Hi guys and girls,

I was wondering if any1 has some advice for me: I have just bought a 1994 3000 V8i Auto with a Tartarini Tec 97/99 LPG conversion. 140K on th clock.

I am looking for some advice on best way to sort out:

1) LPG gauge is totally pointless.. It's one of these 4 LED ones, with a 5th red led when you're to re-fill.. only thing is: I go to re-fill (as gauge says) but can only ever get about 16 or 17lit in.. which is fine apart from the fact that I have 2x30lit under tanks on it... can you get gauges that are accurate for lpg, or is there a fault with the system (only filling one tank maybe?)

2) When the auto box clicks into 4th gear (change is smooth).. say up a slight incline.. with the engine at about 2,000 revs.. the engine seams to struggles. If you push more on the throttle.. it changes down and this goes... any ideas?.. box on the way out?

3) On most of the doors... the inner **** thingy drops just a little, which means that from the outside, the doors can not be opened.. does not happen all the time - and not on all doors.. but its a pain in the ars.. any ideas what this is ( spring? ) - I also have the normal back door C/L not working.. will investigate this to see if its the actuator.

4) The odometer does not work.. so I have no idea what millage I am doing. Any ideas?

5) Raised dash on the px side.. understand kits are available for this at about £40 and another hour labour costs to fix.. can this be done as a DIY ( simple Simon diy - cos I'm new to LR's )?

6) Transfer box will not change when engine is running, but will change easy when not... again - any ideas?

7) I think rear driver shock has gone. Rough ride and knocking noise when over bumps... shocks expensive? best one to go for ? ( without spending silly money ).. spring done at the same time? do you do all 4 or just the rear pair?

8) Driver seats seen better days.. the padding has shifted, and the spring / center bar is kinda hard on the bum... replace seat from scrappy - or is it worth doing this myself?

9) When selecting rev after the car has moved fwd.. the selection is very rough ( loudish clunk type noise ).. does not happen when selecting drive.. any ideas on this?

10) Last one... When starting from warm.. she doesn't like it. She'l start, but say 4 times out of 10 die.. the other times ( even when cold ) has to go hunting for about 5 to 10 sec before settles.

Sorry for the long list.. I'm just not sure where to start. I have recently had the distributer re-built after the advance mech had rusted!, and the plugs changed out.

I'm also thinking of putting a K&N air filter in her.. but unsure if its worth it. Am also looking for another performance mod. Have seen these £5 chips in ebay that trick the ecu into pumping more fuel - do they work.. and can they damage the lpg system.

The final thing I am thinking of doing is fitting a snorkle ( I think ).. but am worried about air flow with the lpg system. I would like to take here green laning in the future, but know nothing about these wadding kits ect and how to waterproof the electrics or what I need to watch out for.

Well. thats it - unitill something goes wrong ( cross fingers ).

Jimbo

Old 12-17-2006, 07:46 PM
Three Wheeling
Default RE: 94" V8i on LPG 140K Auto.. some problems! Need Help, New to LR's

wow, and how much did you pay for this thing? []

Old 12-20-2006, 02:03 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: 94" V8i on LPG 140K Auto.. some problems! Need Help, New to LR's

Lol

I assume you mean that in a bad way then! To answer your question - about £1,500 but had a 2000 tdi to pay for most of it.

To be honest - They are all little things ( I hope ). Unless the trnsfer box needs droping and the LPG system overhalling or somthing. I have some surgestions about the lpg guage as the sender unit in one of the tanks. The transfer box could be a stick selector? and the shocks and spring at the back are about £10 a shock and £12 per spring. The speedo is an easy thing to change (so I have been told) and the doors can be fixed with a spring off ebay for a £5er.

The only real item on the list that I still need help with is the warn start ( again - I have sugestions regarding cold starter valve, idle valve or vapor lock ). She starts fine when cold.. but once wormed up.. she's a real bitch! - She'll turn , start fine - but will not tick over without help from your right foot. She's just developed a missfire ( feels like the plugs ) so am taking into 4x4 gaurage tm for a service - so we'll see if that sorts that out - but expect the warn start problem to still be there.