Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 Disco. cuts out sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 03:28 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Disco. cuts out sometimes

I have a 98 Disco. when I am on the HWY about 70 and about 20 to 30 miles into the trip it starts to cut out about every 5 seconds. I have just repaired the vacuum hoses that were split at the T for the criuse control, that did not help much. Then I notice the valve cover hose on the passager side was cracked and the inlet to the manifold for that hose was pluged with carbon build up. Repaired that it seem to help great, but it started again when driving on the streets not to bad. Made a couple of stops at stores and got back on the HWY and no problem. It seems that it is fine until maybe warms up, never can tell with it's parked and running and looking for a leak or something that maybe causing it to cut out. My wife drives the for work 16 mile round trip a day never a problem.

Can anybody give some advice on this? Headed for the snow tomorrow 200 miles each way, hope to maybe fix this before I leave. If not may have rent a car.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:42 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: 98 Disco. cuts out sometimes

I would replace the VSS (vehicle speed sensor)
If you go to www.discoweb.org and click their "tech" link they have a "how to" to replace it.
When it goes bad it kills the injectors, it is a speed limiter.

Old 12-30-2008, 04:31 PM
4wd High

Thanks Spike555, Now I think about it my speed O was acting strange the other day maybe thats part of it. The link you sent is in no longer service. Calling the local shops to see if they have in stock. Many Thanks and Happy New Years to you!

Old 12-30-2008, 11:16 PM
Mudding

is this the same thing?

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/YBE100540G.cfm

thanks

Old 12-31-2008, 10:20 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

ORIGINAL: supremei

Thanks Spike555, Now I think about it my speed O was acting strange the other day maybe thats part of it. The link you sent is in no longer service. Calling the local shops to see if they have in stock. Many Thanks and Happy New Years to you!
If your speedo is acting up also then the VSS is going to be the problem.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:20 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

ORIGINAL: mattrickman

is this the same thing?

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/YBE100540G.cfm

thanks
"YUP"!!!

Old 01-04-2009, 09:44 AM
4wd High

Hi guys, I changed the VSS $ 110.00 before my little trip. The problem resolved what a piece of mind for the trip Many Thanks. I do have another question, I do know if I have to start a different post or subject. But what I noticed going up the grade is that it did not want to down shift to a lower gear when it was needed by steping on the pedal. When I bought the truck I was hoping to use it for camping and towing my pop up camper. Because it does not seem to tow up the grades very well, I am still using my Tacoma V6 4x4 which does a much better job. Is the Disco. not geared for towing on the HWY with grades? Is there some adjustment I can make? Is the truck to heavy for the small block V8? I would like to use it for towing the camper and sell the other truck.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:49 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Wait, wait, wait, I actually got one right?

Without knowing how much weight you were towing, most pop up campers weight in around 1500lbs, plus gear, fresh water, etc...
The Disco will tow it all day with no problem, you should be towing in 3rd gear anyway, never tow in 4th, also known as "D" (drive).
You do not want the transmission shifting all the time, it will shorten the life of it.
Put the trans in "3", set the cruise at 60 and go.
The Disco is heavy and underpowered. It has a good amount of tourqe, decent amount of horse power...for off roading.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:08 AM
4wd High

Yep, you got it right, better mileage to.I am to assume the fourth gear is an overdrive gear. I'll give it a try on my next trip. Thanks again!

Old 01-04-2009, 11:11 AM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, 4th gear is overdrive. Most transmission have the overdrive gear as just an extra gear in the tail end of the transmission that is not capable of handling the weight and torque load placed on it while towing.

Quick Reply: 98 Disco. cuts out sometimes