Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 disco 2 won't go in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 03:22 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 disco 2 won't go in reverse

I think i got a little scammed. Bought the disco drove fine for a couple weeks then no reverse. The reason i think scam is due to some comments by the seller that i didn't really pick up on til this happened. Anywho runs great in forward, but nothing in reverse. Nothing at all.

Old 04-17-2009, 03:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

so what comments?

Old 04-17-2009, 03:36 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Happened to me when I bought a '92 GMC.

Turns out the planetary gears had been burned out or something. I put some Lucas in it, and it got to the point where it would back up slowly from about 2k-2.5k RPMS if I reved it from idle to 3k RMPS, but it stank, and the ATF was blacker'n a stack of cats.

So, I bought a rebuilt tranny for $600 and changed it in my garage...

Not sure of the Disco trannys work the same way- what color is the fluid? Does it look burned? With no dip-stick, it might be hard to tell.

Pat

Old 04-17-2009, 04:27 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Do you have a check engine light on, when in reverse, doe it show you are in reverse on the instrument cluster, do you know how to check the tranny fluid for level and to see if it is burned?

Old 04-17-2009, 04:48 PM
4wd Low

Hey thanks guys
Comments:
I told the seller I had access to some spare parts and was learning how to do everything myself and he said "oh you'll be fine then" Also he was automotivally inclined so I'm sure he knew how to make it work long enough to sell it. AND he came way down on the price with no hassle. Alll these together makes me wonder.

It does show R on the cluster when in reverse and yes the three amigos are shining brightly. I am crawling under it right now to check fluids. Had to find a skinny turkey baster first.

Thanks for the replys fellow rover heads.

Old 04-17-2009, 04:50 PM
4wd Low

ALso for my other 99 disco 2
The key, nor the inside unlocker button, nor the remote, will open the driver side door. I can't open the door to get the inside of the door off to replace the actuator I read once about someone smashing the mechanism from the top. Any body ever hear of this? One guy said to take the back drivers side door off and smash it from that side.

Old 04-17-2009, 05:15 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

You just need to put your 2 trucks together into one. Maybe you'll end up with one that everything works.

Old 04-17-2009, 05:16 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AK Rover
You just need to put your 2 trucks together into one. Maybe you'll end up with one that everything works.
The wounds are still fresh man...

Ouch!!

Old 04-17-2009, 06:26 PM
4wd Low

Yeah I kinda thought the same thing.
Got the door open though. Just took all screws I could reach out of the inside door panel. Pulled the panel out far enought to expose the actuator latch assy. Then pulled the black plastic cover off the actuator exposing a worm gear which i spun til the door opened. Now I can take the inside panel all the way off and do my thing. And by thing I mean fumble and cuss til and look at the rave manual and cuss until i finally figure it out.

Old 04-17-2009, 06:32 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Guess that was kinda like lemon juice in a paper cut. Sorry.

Quick Reply: 99 disco 2 won't go in reverse