Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 Disco II -- Diff Lock question and more

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 06:00 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Disco II -- Diff Lock question and more

Hello, I have lurked for some time and now its time to join and tap into the resources. I own a 99 Disco II with 115k on it. I have several questions.

1) I recently removed my front drive shaft due to a bad u-joint in that large double knuckle right off the front output shaft of the transfer case. I locked the differential with that 10mm nut and for a day not a single error light was on. Then the Red Diff Lock warning light appeared, and some time after that, the ABS and the TC lights appeared. Is this normal with the vehicle in 2wd? I am delaying the $399 expense for a new front shaft, which leads me to my next question.

2) I have been told to purchase a new or remanufactured front shaft as its very difficult to rebuild that knuckle and the chances of it self destructing as soon as I get up to speed and ruining the transmission casing are pretty high. I trust this individual, however, I would like a second opinion.

3) Does anyone know of a Rover junkyard that is not too far from RI? I need a new radiator also as well as cooling fan (electronic one, not belt driven) I am assuming it doesnt make sense to purchase a radiator from a junkyard, but perhaps that fan?

4) Completly unrelated....but I am trying to find my front sunroof drainage tube outlet's. I suspect blockage as my headliner gets wet and drips water when it rains. Once I find it, I was going to hook an air hose up and blow it out. Any thoughts on that? Do I have to remove headliner and access from top and blow it down.....or, can I just find the bottom and give it a good shot of air?

I have many more questions as I have been saving them up....but this is a good start.
Thank you.
CDT

Old 06-28-2006, 07:58 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: 99 Disco II -- Diff Lock question and more

Don't spend $400 for a front drive shaft, for $60 to $100 in parts, you can have it rebuilt, why waist the money?
As for the CDL light coming on, it probably had a stuck switch and finally came on, supposed to when you engage the t/case.
ABS lights, hard to say, but you will need to find a Rover mechanic who can scan and turn it off.
Don't wast your money on a used radiator, thats like using a used condom, won't last long.
Why is your fan not working, have you checked to see if it has power? There are 2 different switches that will turn it on, the high pressure a/c switch and a temp switch. Here again, before you go spending alot of money, check it out. Have you tried jumping the fan with a hot wire? As for the sun roof drain, blow air thru them from the top at the sun roof frame.
Mike

Old 06-28-2006, 08:12 PM
Overlanding

Thanks Mike. I am assuming that the ABS and the TC lights are not supposed to be on with the Diff Lock engaged by your answer. I will see if I can have a dealer clear them. I have a $70 ODBII Code reader, but it wont clear those lights. Is a Test Book the only device that can clear them, or will a higher end ODBII Code Reader work?

I know of an old school Rover shop not far from here, I will bring my drive shaft to him.

Fan is blowing fuses. It appears to be completly seized, at least I cant turn it by hand as far as I can tell. Have not dug into it, just noticed this today. I keep seeing this fan and A/C mentioned in the same sentence. Would this have anything to do wtih the fact that my AC suddenly stopped blowing cold air? I thought it was strange, but chalked it up to needing a re-charge. It didnt slowly die though. One day it worked and the next it didnt.

Regarding the sunroof vents. I have looked half a dozen times and I dont see the holes anywhere up there. Do I need to remove part of the sunroof, or come at them from the inside? Or should I just point the air hose at the top left and right and blast away?

Thanks alot for your advice.
CDT

Old 06-29-2006, 10:21 AM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: rirover

Thanks Mike. I am assuming that the ABS and the TC lights are not supposed to be on with the Diff Lock engaged by your answer. I will see if I can have a dealer clear them. I have a $70 ODBII Code reader, but it wont clear those lights. Is a Test Book the only device that can clear them, or will a higher end ODBII Code Reader work?

I know of an old school Rover shop not far from here, I will bring my drive shaft to him.

Fan is blowing fuses. It appears to be completly seized, at least I cant turn it by hand as far as I can tell. Have not dug into it, just noticed this today. I keep seeing this fan and A/C mentioned in the same sentence. Would this have anything to do wtih the fact that my AC suddenly stopped blowing cold air? I thought it was strange, but chalked it up to needing a re-charge. It didnt slowly die though. One day it worked and the next it didnt.

Regarding the sunroof vents. I have looked half a dozen times and I dont see the holes anywhere up there. Do I need to remove part of the sunroof, or come at them from the inside? Or should I just point the air hose at the top left and right and blast away?

Thanks alot for your advice.
CDT
Not all code readers will clear a Rover for engine codes. As for the Brake codes, SLS codes and SRS codes, you need a different scanner. Rover uses what they call a test book, $3000 worth. There are some other scanners out there that will work, usually a good small shop will have something.
You might check around for a used fan or a shop that is parting out a Disco, you will get a better price over buying new. There are also some aftermarket fans out there, I have seen a number of posts written about using them, but I don;t have any brand names for you.
The bad fan may be the cause of your a/c not blowing cold.
As for the sun roof drains, mine have never been a problem, so I am not sure. If I get a chance, I'll look today and get back to you.
Mike

Old 10-28-2006, 05:37 PM
7th Gear

Just in case you didn't know, you shouldn't drive around on pavement with the center diff locked. You can damage drivetrain parts.
Also, as a fellow Rhode Islander, I bring my Disco II to Rover Special Vehicles. The owner is a die-hard Rover enthusiast and is a fountain of information. www.roverspecialvehicles.com
He's in Jamestown, RI

Old 10-28-2006, 06:30 PM
Administrator

I forgot to tell you, the trio of lights is supposed to be on when the CDL has been engaged, don't worry about it, they will go off once you disengage the CDL.
Mike