Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 Disco pre purchase advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2020, 11:57 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 99 Disco pre purchase advice

I just took a look at a 140k mile d2 and was pretty happy with the engine but noticed some issues with the drivetrain/trans/body.

1. The light on the automatic shifter indicating which gear was selected was real finicky - you sometimes had to wiggle it to get it to light up/seat correctly. Owner was saying if you’re not careful you could be driving in 2nd/3rd on the freeway.

Does this sound fishy/or is it as simple as making sure some bolts on the shifter unit are tightened so there’s no play. What’s the worst case scenario here? XYZ/TCM?

2. At what point does a leak become a cause for concern - noticed a small puddle of clean* oil under the front diff (presumable from a week or 2 of sitting).

3. I’ve been expecting the 3 amigos so wasn’t surprised when I saw them.

4. Are plastic trim pieces too difficult/expensive to source today? Bumpers are pretty much toast.

5. Can you always hear it when you shift into Reverse - I’m hearing a sound much louder than any other shifts. Trying to understand what a normal shift feels like vs some issues with Trans.

6. How much forward/backward play is normal on drive-shafts? Crawled underneath and played around with it and could def. rotate it a little bit forward and backward. I know they’re meant too rotate lol, but in park with wheels on the ground how much rotation should be expected.

The good: engine started right up every time/sounded healthy/normal idle/oils regularly changed/aluminum thermostat/no overheating during my test drive/lights/windows/locks all working/oil looked clean/No sunroof/no leaks/rust.

Appreciate the help - hopefully not too many red flags.

Last edited by Chris59; 09-27-2020 at 12:01 AM.
Old 09-27-2020, 11:40 AM
Received 394 Likes on 306 Posts

Sounds like a few issues. Take it for a long drive bring a ultraguage or something to check what is the engine temp
after a good run on the highway hear for any ticking of the engine

all the other things you said can be dealt with with new bumpers steel or not or Tranny if it’s on the way out Scrap yards in your area will have some of these

rock auto has good prices for most other stuff. But sounds like it needs some attention Be prepared to spend a few thousand after you buy it. These are high maintenance vehicles

Old 09-27-2020, 03:18 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by redwhitekat
Take it for a long drive bring a ultraguage or something to check what is the engine temp
after a good run on the highway hear for any ticking of the engine
yep, I did that when I saw it - engine runs pretty great - no slipped liners I could hear anyway or check engine light. Plugged my UltraGauge in and watched the coolant temp on the freeway - 195-204. For whatever reason my UltraGauge blue wasn’t reading the engine oil temp. Should it be able to? Sounds like I should focus the most on finding a clean engine - the rest can be sourced/swapped pretty easily.

Originally Posted by redwhitekat
Be prepared to spend a few thousand after you buy it. These are high maintenance vehicles
I’m planning on doing most of it at home and 02 sensors/water pump/fuel pump/belts/hoses/plugs/coils have all been done in the last 10kish miles. At 3500 this seems like a good buy - outside of major engine/trans issues I’ll be diagnosing/maintaining at home.

Last edited by Chris59; 09-27-2020 at 03:23 PM.
Old 09-27-2020, 07:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 354 Likes on 228 Posts

I have a 99 as well, here is my input to your questions:
1) I wouldn’t worry too much about the shifter not lighting up, there is a gear position indicator on the odometer, so just use that.
2) A diff leak is a little concerning, but it’s also super easy to drain and fill. I haven’t checked out the process for redoing the diff gasket (if there is one) but I imagine that wouldn’t be too hard either. It might also be a leaky diff drain plug, also easy. More likely though it’s oil from the engine dripping down on to the diff.
3) No amigos, woo hoo! But also pretty easy to do the “option B” fix when they show up.
4) Trim pieces aren’t too bad, especially if you can find a junk, the exception, of course, is the front bumper. I’ve been searching for over a year to find one used in reasonable/repairable condition and I’ve come up with nothing. Still kicking myself over a lost opportunity 5 months ago.
5) I have a small noise when shifting in to reverse as well, not sure how much is normal but the transmissions and transfer cases are pretty bullet proof in my experience.
6) No real input on this one, there’s always going to be a little backlash with the type of 4WD system that the disco has.

More than anything, ask about overheats and, if possible, get a scangauge/ultraguage to measure actual coolant temps. You might also want to give it a little hose down to confirm that “no leaks” claim, it’s something real easy to lie about and you would be none the wiser until it starts raining.

Old 09-27-2020, 07:49 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by greisinb
I have a 99 as well, here is my input to your questions:
1) I wouldn’t worry too much about the shifter not lighting up, there is a gear position indicator on the odometer, so just use that.
2) A diff leak is a little concerning, but it’s also super easy to drain and fill. I haven’t checked out the process for redoing the diff gasket (if there is one) but I imagine that wouldn’t be too hard either. It might also be a leaky diff drain plug, also easy. More likely though it’s oil from the engine dripping down on to the diff.
3) No amigos, woo hoo! But also pretty easy to do the “option B” fix when they show up.
4) Trim pieces aren’t too bad, especially if you can find a junk, the exception, of course, is the front bumper. I’ve been searching for over a year to find one used in reasonable/repairable condition and I’ve come up with nothing. Still kicking myself over a lost opportunity 5 months ago.
5) I have a small noise when shifting in to reverse as well, not sure how much is normal but the transmissions and transfer cases are pretty bullet proof in my experience.
6) No real input on this one, there’s always going to be a little backlash with the type of 4WD system that the disco has.

More than anything, ask about overheats and, if possible, get a scangauge/ultraguage to measure actual coolant temps. You might also want to give it a little hose down to confirm that “no leaks” claim, it’s something real easy to lie about and you would be none the wiser until it starts raining.
Appreciate the specific advice - the 99 d2 trim pieces seem harder to find than newer d2s - more years of parts I guess

UPDATES -
1. one of the coolant hoses above the engine - spilled a little over the engine. But I could see the source of the leak and wasn’t too concerned. It looked like it was from the hose clamp. The owner seemed to be mindful about engine temps. The dipstick had clean oil and no milky type oil under the oil cap.

2. I meant the 3 amigos were there!

3. CDL was not functioning(no sounds/no lights when moved) - looks like he never used it but waiting to hear what he finds. I assume this is related to 3 amigos. I wasn’t too concerned about the cdl not engaging but should I be? There were no lights on the dash outside of 3 amigos/ no codes when I plugged in my UltraGauge.

Old 09-27-2020, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

99 D2 will just have 4Hi/N/4Lo position on the Transfer Case ****. Since it's a 99 it more than likely has the CDL nipple, but you will need an 04 Linkage to take advantage of it vs the stock 99-03 4Hi/N/4Lo Linkage. 3 Amigo's will either need Option B & then some wheel speed sensors or worse case new hubs. Once Option B is done it is much easier to diagnose!

Old 09-27-2020, 08:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 354 Likes on 228 Posts

99’s don’t have a factory fitted CDL linkage, although the mechanism is actually there in the transfer case, so it’s possible to retrofit. Its more likely that it just doesn’t have it which would explain why it doesn’t “work.” A retrofitted CDL linkage would be a big selling point and the seller definitely would have mentioned it if it was fitted. So I think you are just switching the transfer case from 4 hi to 4 low, which just for the record you can do on pavement on these trucks precisely because there isn’t a CDL. Also, and I may be wrong here, that wouldn’t have anything to do with the three amigos. At any rate the Option B fix is a great starting point for getting rid of those, it’s the second thing I had to do on my truck and seems to be holding strong!

Old 09-27-2020, 08:53 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by greisinb
99’s don’t have a factory fitted CDL linkage, although the mechanism is actually there in the transfer case, so it’s possible to retrofit. Its more likely that it just doesn’t have it which would explain why it doesn’t “work.” A retrofitted CDL linkage would be a big selling point and the seller definitely would have mentioned it if it was fitted. So I think you are just switching the transfer case from 4 hi to 4 low, which just for the record you can do on pavement on these trucks precisely because there isn’t a CDL. Also, and I may be wrong here, that wouldn’t have anything to do with the three amigos. At any rate the Option B fix is a great starting point for getting rid of those, it’s the second thing I had to do on my truck and seems to be holding strong!
Originally Posted by Best4x4
99 D2 will just have 4Hi/N/4Lo position on the Transfer Case ****. Since it's a 99 it more than likely has the CDL nipple, but you will need an 04 Linkage to take advantage of it vs the stock 99-03 4Hi/N/4Lo Linkage. 3 Amigo's will either need Option B & then some wheel speed sensors or worse case new hubs. Once Option B is done it is much easier to diagnose!

This was some really useful information - I thought they were hooked up on 99s. It didn’t sound like anything bad was happen - there was no tension/no sound of anything happen - so this makes sense. Really appreciate the insight - I think I found my first d2.

Old 09-27-2020, 08:59 PM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

There is some slop in the drivetrain of all of these... Many people just learn to be soft enough on and off the throttle to minimize it.

Also these have the AC condensation drain tubes coming out directly under the shift *****. If your clear puddle is there, it is water. They all do that unless those drains are plugged, then you will find that water under your front passenger side carpet.

Old 09-27-2020, 09:04 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Dave03S
There is some slop in the drivetrain of all of these... Many people just learn to be soft enough on and off the throttle to minimize it.

Also these have the AC condensation drain tubes coming out directly under the shift *****. If your clear puddle is there, it is water. They all do that unless those drains are plugged, then you will find that water under your front passenger side carpet.
i went and touched the puddle to confirm there was some oil in it but it was probably a mixture - explains the size of the puddle - duh condensation.

Quick Reply: 99 Disco pre purchase advice