Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 Land Rover DII won't start engine Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 06:17 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Land Rover DII won't start engine Help!

Hello everybody. I'm new to the forums and have a serious problem. My 1999 Land Rover Discovery II won't seem to start (it cranks but no turn over). I took it to a local mechanic and he checked fuel pump, relays, battery and still no start. He told me it's the key handset. I remember a while back ago I took out the battery and ever since than it hasn't been able to start. I know there's a 4 pin code you can somehow input but I'm pretty sure I don't have that unless it was inside the car manual that came with the rover. Should I just go to the dealership and get a new set of keys so they can reprogram it? Could it be the circle battery inside the key fob that is running low? I'm just trying to get this car on the road asap. Please let me know if anybody has had this problem and knew what to do. Thank you for your time. Joe

Old 10-02-2014, 07:23 PM
7th Gear

I just thought of something. I may be right or wrong but basically the alarm is in some type of security mode where it won't pump fuel into the fuel pump. Like I said before I took out the battery numerous times because it was dead. Let me know what you guys/gals think.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by PPK Zombie
I just thought of something. I may be right or wrong but basically the alarm is in some type of security mode where it won't pump fuel into the fuel pump. Like I said before I took out the battery numerous times because it was dead. Let me know what you guys/gals think.
Do you have a key on the remote, like a regular key? If so when you put the key in the switch and turn the key on can you hear the fuel pump at all?
Are you saying it will crank over but not start?
Does your truck have an inertia/rollover switch on the firewall?
It is under the hood on the passenger side firewall, it's round and the top is about about 1.5" diameter, it's about 3" or 4" tall or so.
Anyway if you have this try pressing down the top to see if it will reset. If it is triggered it will disable the fuel pump.
If the truck has been sitting for a long while with a dead battery you are probably right about it being something to do with the security or computers but worth a try on the inertia switch if your truck has one.

Last edited by RicketyTick; 10-02-2014 at 07:53 PM.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:15 PM
7th Gear

Rick, thank you for replying back. Yes I have the original key with fob attached. When I turn the key it just keeps cranking but won't start. I really think it's a security issue. Mechanic that I know told me that he took out the fuel pump to test it and it work. I believe the alarm system is cutting the fuel supply to the fuel pump b/c I took the battery out. I've been doing some searching and found that turning the key to lock/unlock with 5 second intervals will reset the alarm. Also something about holding the key at the position II and turning it off will prime the fuel into the fuel pump?? I will try both of those techniques tomorrow when I get off work. Do you think they will work? Thank you.

O yeah, I"ll try pushing the inertia switch tomorrow b/c I know I have one. I read it somewhere in the manual a while ago : )

Old 10-02-2014, 08:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by PPK Zombie
Rick, thank you for replying back. Yes I have the original key with fob attached. When I turn the key it just keeps cranking but won't start. I really think it's a security issue. Mechanic that I know told me that he took out the fuel pump to test it and it work. I believe the alarm system is cutting the fuel supply to the fuel pump b/c I took the battery out. I've been doing some searching and found that turning the key to lock/unlock with 5 second intervals will reset the alarm. Also something about holding the key at the position II and turning it off will prime the fuel into the fuel pump?? I will try both of those techniques tomorrow when I get off work. Do you think they will work? Thank you.

O yeah, I"ll try pushing the inertia switch tomorrow b/c I know I have one. I read it somewhere in the manual a while ago : )
Don't know? hope so! you can also check the fuel pump fuses and try swapping your fuel pump relay with another relay next to it.

also just read this in another thread..."Try holding down the alarm button for the hood (drivers side fender) as you disconnect and reconnect the battery" worth a try while your trying stuff.

also have you checked every fuse in the entire truck?

and do you have a scanner that reads live? if so spin the engine over and see if it reads any rpm. If no rpm then the crank sensor is probably bad and if the crank sensor is bad it won't start.

and I don't know if you are getting spark or not but, there is a thread in the d1 section "1998 Disco no spark issues" that you may want to read through to get more ideas of things to check.

Last edited by RicketyTick; 10-02-2014 at 08:51 PM.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:20 PM
Overlanding

I have witnessed the immobilizer on mine. It kills the starter and and lights up the security light in the cluster. If it is cranking the starter and not firing off it probably has no spark. Pull off a plug wire and check for spark

Old 10-03-2014, 08:27 PM

crank sensor ?

Old 10-06-2014, 12:06 AM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

There is a fuel pump cut off inertial switch mounted to the firewall.
Reset it by pushing it down or such.

Have a partner listen with ear up against the gas tank by crouching down under the rear of the truck.

Turn the key on.
Fuel pump should go for 5 seconds then stop.

If this is not happening, then you have problems....